Software
Houzz Logo Print
julesann

Suggestions for better furniture arrangement?

13 years ago
The current set up forces people to walk through the furniture group and in front of the TV when walking to the kitchen/eating area. I am wondering if pulling the furniture grouping in tighter to the TV and fireplace would be better? People would have to then walk behind the furniture. Not sure if that would be more awkward and close off the kitchen entrance even more. Also, what would I do with the area behind? The Island/bar area behind the sofa doesn't have a overhang to put bar stools on that side. Suggestions or thoughts before I move all my furniture around? :) Thanks!

Comments (17)

  • 13 years ago
    I Jules! My living situation is a lot like yours, so I know what you mean, but when people get up from the couch, can't they just walk through the dining area to get to the kitchen? I think how you have the furniture is pretty good, would you ever put your tv on top of your fireplace? Just a suggestion.
  • 13 years ago
    Or maybe you could more you couch a little to the right so people sitting in the love seat could walk behind it to get to the kitchen? That may be a less awkward.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks bookworm202. I have thought about putting tv above fireplace but not sure what to do with all the cords!
  • 13 years ago
    I'd maybe switch the chair and loveseat and move everything s bit closer to create a cozier sitting area and a pseudo walkway behind the couch.
  • 13 years ago
    Never mind switching places.... Didnt see fireplace
  • 13 years ago
    Hmmm, I'm thinking. You have an interesting layout! I'd say just to move the footrest over to where the chair is and move the couch more to the right. Then people could walk behind the couch, and that may be less awkward! Hope this helps!
  • 13 years ago
    Sasha, yes, the love seat wouldn't fit where the chair is because of fireplace. I almost think that pulling everything in tighter and creating walkway behind the love seat and couch would be more awkward than walking straight thru. Plus, I couldnt use a lamp on my end table if it was pulled too far away from wall as the cord would lay right across the walk way! No floor outlets! Thanks all for your comments. If I switch it up I will post pics!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi, I am not sure of the measurements but I would try to put the TV in the corner of the stair wall and the kitchen. Then I would run the couches at an angle from there. By the entry I would add a library table to the back of the couch with the lights. I would put the chair by the corner window with a table and light. It may be a little much and it would be easier if you had 2 chairs verses the loveseat....
  • 13 years ago
    I like your room just the way it is....the only thing that might help is for people to walk behind the loveseat to get to the kitchen. More the shelf thingy out to make more room. As far as the lamp cord crossing the walkway....maybe a carpet runner to cover it, or pull your area rug back more to cover the cord. I think your arrangement is really the best. Looks run and cozy for watching TV.
  • 13 years ago
    Take a look at your photos. To me the main issue is how, even though you home is very neat, it looks cluttered because of way too many little decorations everywhere. Too many pictures surrounding the TV and on other walls, too many things on top of kitchen cabinets, too much little stuff on the mantel. Even the sofas look cluttered with all the pillows. The shelf unit has even more little thingamabobs. I'd clear away at least 3/4 leaving only the bigger objects and replace smaller stuff with large baskets or boxes for a much cleaner look.

    Try it and see if that isn't visually more pleasing. It should have a calming effect on your room.
  • 13 years ago
    Loveseats make for such decor dilemmas! Do you have an office or bedroom it would fit in? I would move the TV to the stairwell corner and put it on a swivel so you can adjust for viewing. Move the large sofa where TV is now, chair angled where the love was and get a new pair of accent chairs flanking the fireplace. Leelee's idea of removing the majority of your decor is good. Why not box it up under two different labels - warm season and cool season? Then, rather than having everything on display, you can change it out twice a year. Family photos and religious items I'd put in a more private area like the hallway and master bedroom.
  • 13 years ago
    I would try putting the rug meeting the bookshelf and place the couch, side table and love seat cornering it. Maybe you would have also to position the tall bookshelf in the corner. If the space behind the couch and love seat becomes good enough for a person to walk through and the couch is aligned with the beginning of the fire place, that would be perfect. If not, keep things the way they are.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. About it being too cluttered...if i remove pics around the tv, (my attempt at a gallery wall), clean off mantel, remove all but 2 pillows from couches and pare down the bookshelf it seems like it would be so bare! I guess I don't understand cause it seems like a lot of idea books i see that show "real life" rooms have just as much stuff in them as mine does!! but I will give it a try and edit!
  • 13 years ago
    If your TV was over the FP (and there will be lots of people who say don't do that), you could face the sofa toward it. There has to be enough room so that the eye angle is not a strain. You could force the traffic to flow behind the sofa to the kitchen. I would then place the LS on the wall where the TV currently is and the chair on the opposite side of the FP. If there is electricity in that wall, you could run it to the TV and sandwich it behind a false wall to hide it. Here's an example of a TV over a FP that I love:
    Project in Tiburon · More Info
    julesann thanked pattiegoode
  • 13 years ago
    I like your artwork arrangement, including the cross. Your grouping is top aligned and you like it, so perfect!
    julesann thanked cmbruno8
  • 13 years ago
    Definitely pull the couch, love seat and whatever else closer together. Don't worry about the lamp, put it elsewhere. Please do not place tv any higher than it is. Tv should b at eye level when watching so as to prevent neck cramps. As it sits right now, your seating is way too far from tv. Make it more warm and cozy.
    julesann thanked jules604