Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angigal

Front Room/Dining Room design idea

Angi G
5 years ago
I’m having a tough time figuring out how to organize my furniture so that is pleasing and also not so crowded. The dining room part is 8’ x 12’ (8’ to the railing another 2.5’ ish to the alcove) and the sitting room part is (from the window in the alcove) is 12.5’ x 11’ . Any ideas on how I can create a dining that can hold 6-8 people on holidays yet still have a functional and comfortable sitting area. I need the storage of the sidebar and I do love the piece. I appreciate any ideas. I’m a newbie at decorating and I know what I like don’t have the capacity to put it together. The photos are from all different angles and I tried to incorporate the rooms that attach.

Comments (59)

• PN _Bos
    5 years ago

i'd suggest a table/chairs designed for small spaces; maybe 4 chairs & a small storage bench to keep under the table until you need additional seating. If you have space, I'd move the sofa to the wall under the art, that will brighten up the space since it seems to be blocking part of your window. Get rid of the coffee table & red chair. I'd also ditch end tables/lamp & replace with a floor lamp & an end table that's more functional - something with a drawer/shelves.

• Angi G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    If anyone has suggestions about a new light fixture over the table I would really appreciate it
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Some inspiration re. round dining tables -
  • Angi G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    In answer to the use question I do use the sitting area daily but the dining table only on holidays. Thank you all so much for the comments. Going to arrange what I have and look at furniture tomorrow. :)
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Inspiration for smaller scale furniture and/ or for 4 chair only seating groupings -
  • Nelle Corcoran
    5 years ago
    For an immediate improvement, remove the heavy-looking drapes since you have shades on the windows, and remove the tablecloth unless the table is unattractive. Also agree with removing the red chair and relocating sideboard and making it a focal point.
    Angi G thanked Nelle Corcoran
  • kaye1951
    5 years ago

Remove small wall decor pieces as they just add to feeling of busyness/ clutter. As suggested, remove heavy drapes, red chair, table cloth, etc. Pull the chairs closer to the couch so they can access needed end tables and eliminate coffee table. Start with advice given before making purchases. A less busy room will help you visualize what needs to be replaced. Take time to make your space the best it can be!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You've gotten good advice. IMO, you have the right furniture arrangement now with the exception of the red chair. If that were removed, I think the space would work and then it just needs tweaking to make it all cohere. Of course, if you want to buy all new smaller furniture, that would be even better, but not necessary, I don't think.

I will return to this room after my morning appointment to give you a few ideas.

Angi G thanked groveraxle
  • Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago
    As groveraxle posted just removing the red chair will help instantly. New furniture is nice but not always an option. I tried the 4 chairs arrangement in my old small home and wished I hadn't. I really missed having a couch to sprawl out on. Got a new couch for my current home.
    Angi G thanked Cheryl Smith
  • Angi G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Pic of dining area across from dining window. Trying to take out the leaf. It’s an ugly old table but I may take off the table cloth and see how it goes. Lol. I also took a pic of the area opposite the sitting area. The staircase makes things very difficult. My house is messy so I know I need to put stuff away. I do have it on my to do list to de-clutter. I had used the table by the door as an end table but I couldn’t find a table I liked to fit by the door. Note: I have a 15yr old and he leaves stuff as he walks. Please try to look past all the “crap”. Lol.
  • Angi G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here’s one of the suggestions.
  • PRO
    Molli Young Design Consultant
    5 years ago
    If you don't want to buy smaller furniture take the one of the large chairs out. Place the red chair on the side with the dining table. You can angle these towards the sofa to create more of a conversation area. If you want to add to small ottomans for extra seats you can put them in the center of the room or near the rail.
    By adding a large clock or art on the wall behind the dining table you could have a great focal point when you walk into the room.
    Angi G thanked Molli Young Design Consultant
  • Jennifer Canel
    5 years ago

I like those pictures, but it is hard to tell if you can walk in there comfortably. It looks good there. also, if you need the sideboard why don't you put it in the living room, in lieu of the red chair? it will make both the living room and the dining room appear less cluttered.

• Jennifer Canel
    5 years ago

I believe no rug (or a lighter color rug) will also help make the space look more spacious

• Angi G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    You have a good point. There’s only about 13” on one side. I’ll try mining one of the bulky chairs in front of the window. I like the idea of a window bench? I’m also looking to move the sidebar. Just to where I’m not sure lol
  • Angi G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I will look for a big clock or some nice artwork as a focal point in the dining area
  • Jennifer Canel
    5 years ago

will the sidebar work under the window in the living room?

Angi G thanked Jennifer Canel
  • Angi G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That’s my next task. I’m just going to try and move that. And take down the drapes... maybe get lighter brighter ones that will match this rug I’m thinking of purchasing. I may need my hubby; the lead and the sidebar are a two person job. Haha
  • Pugga70
    5 years ago

Following.....

• kaye1951
    5 years ago

This arrangement makes the space feel even more crowded. IMO, couch goes back in front of the window with two chairs flanking and minus the red chair.

Angi G thanked kaye1951
  • Jennifer Canel
    5 years ago

i think if the window in the dining room is clear it may work... give it a try. rug is pretty, but also dark....

Angi G thanked Jennifer Canel
  • Angi G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    How about this? I think I kind of like it. Took off the curtains. Maybe some nice sheers to utilize the curtain rod I made my hubby put up. I’m looking for a nice evening tan rug but have had a hard time finding one I like. The leaf out only saved a foot. I need a smaller table.. ugh The light fixture is mounted in a ridiculous place. Need a different one or have my hubby shorten it. I tried taking the swag out but it almost touches the table.
  • Angi G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Jennifer Canel
    Got the sidebar to there. Lol. Now to clean up the clutter I threw in the kitchen. Haha
  • Angi G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    What do ya’ll think of putting my sidebar or something here? It’s in my kitchen. I’ve been wanting to decorate or do something with that wall but the hubster disagrees. It’s ok if he’s right. He’s right a lot.
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Gina, that is looking so much better , “lighter-feeling” and brighter already. Boy, you work quickly :) .
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    So sorry, Angi, about your name - my iPad first changed it to “A girl” - caught that one - then changed it to Gina , lol . Auto correct !!!!
    Angi G thanked niccidhg
  • Angi G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh my goodness!! That’s beautiful!! Where did you find that rug and lamp!! I love them!! That does really solve it! What a wonderful idea. I’m shopping tomorrow and will look for a coffee table and floor lamp. I took off the table cloth and moved pics of my kiddos for now. Looks better right?
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

In the future, I need to reload the page to see what you've already done before I post. ;-)

Do you need the red chair? The room would be so much more open without it.

• Angi G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I don’t necessarily need it I just don’t know where to put it for now. Lol. I received hand me down furniture and I’m in the process of rearranging rooms and weeding out stuff. I’ll have a better idea of final stuff tomorrow after I shop. :).
  • njmomma
    5 years ago

following

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Red chair in a nook, or wide entry....?

• PRO
    Healthy Home Consultants
    5 years ago

Quick thought... can you find another spot for the red chair? Moving it against a wall will make a big difference by opening up the center of the room!

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Variation of quatrefoil hmm in wool expensive, but to me, repeating wood and warm neutrals there.... is chair a grey-green [nice with gold] -

Kaleen Hand-Tufted Helena Beige Wool Rug, 8'x10' · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/kaleen-hand-tufted-helena-beige-wool-rug-8x10-prvw-vr~96244789

• everdebz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Even this neutral might brighten the darker neutrals in room - good reviews in wool and jute:

Falling Leaves Geometric Print Pillow, Teal, 16"x16" · More Info

Anji Mountain 8' x 10' Zatar Wool and Jute Rectangular Rug AMB0308-0810 · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/products/zatar-wool-and-jute-area-rug-8x10-prvw-vr~39077932[(https://www.houzz.com/products/zatar-wool-and-jute-area-rug-8x10-prvw-vr~39077932)

Angi G thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

Posting something cutesy:

Full Bloom, Blue Faux Suede Fabric 16"x16" Throw Pillows Cover · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/full-bloom-blue-faux-suede-16x16-throw-pillows-cover-prvw-vr~14606227

Angi G thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

One too many sofas in the room. An L shaped couch would work wonders in your space.

Angi G thanked Designer Drains
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

With your furnishings, etc... a bit too 1970's?

Felt Tree Pillow, Off White, Green, and Brown, 16"x16", Spring and Summer Colo · More Info

Felt Tree Pillow, Dark Gray, Red, Orange, 16"x16", Fall Colors · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/felt-tree-pillow-dark-gray-red-orange-16x16-fall-colors-prvw-vr~53909218

Angi G thanked everdebz
  • User
    5 years ago

Cute rooms!!

Normally, I'm not a fan of naked windows, but I think yours looks better without the drapes. It give of a "loft" vibe...

I think that streamlining is important here...If a new table is in the cards, make sure you get one that's narrower than what you have. Also, the different chairs does, as you can see, contribute to the crowded look...those along with the stair rail makes a forest of spindles that's visually confusing. I would get cleaner chairs. How about 2 chairs that are upholstered, and then they can be dragged into the living space when you have more people? Then the red chair can go into a bedroom?

Angi G thanked User
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Angi, here is the rug:

Uptown Rug from Next Generation by Orian | PlushRugs.com · More Info

https://plushrugs.com/orian-rugs/next-generation/uptown/#off-white

And the lamp:

Possini Euro Cherry Finish Wood Surveyor Tripod Floor Lamp - #W1650 | Lamps Plus · More Info

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/possini-euro-cherry-finish-wood-surveyor-tripod-floor-lamp__w1650.html

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Lower your art in the dining room.

If you want to take it to the next level, find a big piece of art you love for that spot:

The next level: an even bigger piece of art.

Yes, it really does get hung this low. Art goes at eye level and eye level is lower when you're sitting down.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

This light is 26.4" wide and $125 at World Market:

Antique Brass and Glass Globe 5 Light Alessa Chandelier | World Market · More Info

• lisaam
    5 years ago

It is amazing how much visual space a tablecloth eats up. Your changes so far are good!

Angi G thanked lisaam
  • Laurie Tillett
    5 years ago
    Grover.....where did you find the Wine Doodle art? Would be perfect for my son and DIL....they have 2 doodles, one white one black, and they live in California. Thanks!!
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

@Laurie Tillet, I found it at art.com. It's by Ryan Fowler and lots of places carry it. He also has others including Doodle Beer. https://www.art.com/gallery/id--a268777/ryan-fowler-posters.htm

• Angi G thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

If you keep red chair [and not sagey] - would your rug be too dark, adding charcoal items and gleam for 'lift'....

"Black Horse II" Painting Print on Wrapped Canvas · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/black-horse-ii-painting-print-on-wrapped-canvas-prvw-vr~61150368

Angi G thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

Idk if this would look messy with your current pair on wall? something like...

Lucas Field, Gallery Wrapped Canvas, 30"x40" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/lucas-field-gallery-wrapped-canvas-30x40-prvw-vr~70906880

Angi G thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

red item, for red chair:

"Red Elephant" Print on Canvas, 40"x40" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/red-elephant-print-on-canvas-40x40-prvw-vr~40026757

Angi G thanked everdebz
  • happyleg
    5 years ago

Lighter curtains in dining room. I like side bar at window. with two narrow tall lamps. Love what Grove done. I was going to say remove LR drape too.

Angi G thanked happyleg