Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_32059016

help with dining room

8 years ago
I’ve always felt like my dining room hutch was too short & so I add decor on top to make it look taller.
I live in farm country & love a cottage living look.
I need suggestions on decor ideas for the hutch
Inside & out without it looking to busy in my small room. Also paint suggestions with black dining room furniture. Thank you!

Comments (16)

  • 8 years ago

    Pretty room! I'm not sure you really need to change anything. If you want to refresh, try placing your end chairs on either side of the hutch, and take the decor off the top. Look for a large, oval wicker basket to place there. Do you have white items that you could place in the hutch to brighten it? Also, a new rug with a lighter background could brighten the room.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you very much, I love the bench idea. For a smaller room, I was concerned that I had too much art. I didn’t know what the rule of thumb was on that.

    I have a metal piece on the opposite wall.
    I have tried white but it was too stark with the rest
    of the room colors.

    I’m including a pic with chairs moved as suggested..I have 2 rustic rooster/hen pics?
  • 8 years ago
    Pictures
  • 8 years ago
    Pic
  • 8 years ago

    You do not need advice, your room is very lovely!

  • 8 years ago
    I think a larger rug will really pull it together. I love cowhide, but feel it is lost under the table.
  • 8 years ago

    Like the chairs next to the hutch! Is a larger rug in the budget? I think that would pull everything together. I'm not sure you need the pictures on the hutch wall, might be overkill.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I think you'd be able to pull off a bit of white on the benches since they are a hide with other colors. If you want to add another larger rug, add a sisal underneath the hide rug. Ikea has one I use all the time and its inexpensive and real sisal called the Osted and it comes in a variety of sizes.

  • 8 years ago
    I will definitely look into the sisal rug. I’ve seen that look & really like it.

    Thank you for the great tips!
  • 8 years ago
    Your room is lovely and the colors are beautiful. A valued lesson I’ve learned is to use Command Picture hangers. Without damaging your beautiful walls and paint you can see if those great rustic rooster pictures are really needed. I noticed that you have a cathedral window or mirror on a table outside the dining room that is beautiful. I absolutely love mirrors and windows as decor. Perhaps a rectangular antique window like a 2 pane wide x 4 or 6 pane long or a similar mirror above the hutch instead of the other decor would give you the light and reflection to raise the eye. Just don’t know until you try.
  • 8 years ago
    I love windows & cathedral decor too!! Since the room are side by side, I was ??? about it looking
    repetitive.

    I grew up during the country blue era, so I have struggled with this room the most. I love
    Modern farmhouse & cottage look but I feel
    like the items on my hutch are less modern
    And more of the old country look.

    Black furniture also limits my paint choices along with the fact that my wood floor has a yellow/gold
    Color.
  • 8 years ago
    I think your black furniture will always work. It’s the accents that will make or break the look. I remember that country blue era; and while it was good at the time, enough already with the ecru ruffle curtains and dusty rose candles. I like your candle rack a lot and think it might even look good on the top of the hutch instead of the other items. It would add that little bit of white (your mounding is fabulous) and the metal is a nice attraction picking up the grays in your art. The ceramic rooster might like a lower perch, if he isn’t too tall, on the hutch next to an elongated bowl or platter filled with bright yellow lemons or other organic for color.
  • 8 years ago
    I plan on ordering the sisal rug today. Would you recommend a natural color?

    Also, I would like to frame the large barn picture
    In a floater frame. What color would you recommend on that as to not looking too matched to the Other black frames? Or would black be ok
    Since it won’t be as visible?
  • 8 years ago
    Chswheels2 I like the idea of moving the ceramic
    Chicken but you’re right it’s too tall. And the problem I’m running into on top is electrical boxes
    (For the lighting inside).

    I could probably do a large rooster? I only added the chicken to go with my farm pics & because
    Of needing something to make the hutch look taller. Other items like pottery or glass candle holders seem to look flat.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    reba jo,

    Ikea's sisal rug is only available in the natural color.

    Karen