Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_713058349

Help,, steroid grass,,,,,,

8 years ago

Bought this home a year ago, the front grass was so thick you can't physically push a push mower through it, it would barely cut, the thickness of the grass would hold the body of the mower. Come winter it looked like old lasagna cheese and felt like you walked on a wire brush all the time, winter or summer. I removed all the thatch, and do so every time I mow. It would be solid white as soon as it was cut, and you couldn't burn it. I've been dragging a dethatcher on it all summer now the trimmings look a little greener, but something's just not right you lose your balance walking on it, you can't even feel the ground through it. I had to use an axe to cut it up by the driveway. Help,,, I have pictures but I can't find where to upload them,

Comments (11)

  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago

    I can take more

  • 8 years ago

    This picture is a good to get started. Take another picture from an altitude of 6 inches on a cloudy day or in the shade.

    Does the grass grow in the shade?

    Where do you live?

    Would you say it spreads quickly (faster than 15 feet per year)?

  • 8 years ago

    The whole yard was full so there was no spreading to watch, it had grown over, and up, through the old driveway, as well as growing up and through the new payment on the road. I live in Western Kentucky, there's no shade on the front, the backyards fine. It's ridiculous, I'll show you what it look like last year a little later in the year, I've got it looking pretty good this year. But I need to thin this out or soften it up it's just disturbing to walk on, and hard to maintain. I filled up around 10, 50 gallon bags of thatch dragging a dethatcher over it to this point, to get it looking this good. It's just ridiculous

  • 8 years ago

    Oh yeah all that crap you see in that old picture, i had removed all of that, it made a hay bale in my backyard, before dethatching all this summer. I was told its normally white this time of year but this is just too much.

  • 8 years ago

    I'm going to hazard a guess: zoysia. I am not familiar enough with the many varieties to get closer than that. It's coarse bladed and, assuming the last picture was taken in the winter, not cold tolerant. There are fine bladed zoysias but this is not one of those.

    Starting from here, lets see if we can make this work for you. How high/low are you mowing it? I'm going to suggest mowing at the mower's lowest setting to keep from developing the unsteady feel underfoot. You might need a different mower to make this easier. I'm thinking of one with big wheels and self propelled. Certainly a riding mower would work, but for such a small yard that seems like overkill. If you could borrow or rent one for a couple of mows that might help you decide. Also if the dethatcher did not seem to damage it, then you might run the dethatcher over it a few times to thin it out.

    The good news is you should never have weeds with a turf that dense.

    And the grass is currently suffering from too much water. I'm assuming you got this storm that hit everything from Hudson's Bay to Mexico.

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks, I had to buy a riding mower one week after I moved here, haha. I've been mowing on the lowest setting ever since I got it cleaned up last winter. Have drug that dethatcher over it while it's dry and after it rained for probably a total of about 6 hours now. It feels somewhat normal for about 2 weeks after that, then it starts to feel like walking on an upside down push broom again. So I guess you're telling me that this is just 100% grass, I guess that's good, please give me some tips on how to try to hurt it, slow it down, thin it out something, lol, I'm going to go look up this zoysias. Thanks! Yea, lots of rain too, that's not helping,,,

  • 8 years ago

    Boy that sure does look like it, I've told people I can take a softball and stand it on top of it, I just saw a picture of a ball standing on top of it.

  • 8 years ago

    With alfalfa I thought the hormone, triacontanol, was good for growth. Do you have some literature about it slowing down growth? I know it's good for starting plants out and it's component of a product called Super Thrive. I just bought a bunch of alfalfa pellets for my last application of the year.

  • 8 years ago

    I will look for the references that led me to make that comment. Again, it seemed counterintuitive to me at the time.