Software
Houzz Logo Print
bluescootergirl

Considering Lacanche Range after Wolf disillusionment. Advice please!

7 years ago

Hello Houzz-ers,


We're planning a kitchen remodel for our California Ranch house and I had been considering a Wolf 36" range top along with Wolf 30" electric oven and possibly a 30" (external, internal is 24") steam oven. Our current set up is an older Viking gas cooktop and two 27" Dacor wall ovens (electric). The Dacor ovens replaced some fantastic 27" KitchenAid ovens that were in the house when we bought it, but they died about 3 years ago so we replaced them with the Dacor. We like the Dacors well enough, but find the extra fan noise needed to cool the electronics somewhat annoying. And, the bottom oven's enamel is starting to chip.


As I was researching the Wolf products, I learned that their ovens also have chipping issues. And, we are not thrilled with their electronic menus and all the extra gourmet/programmed modes and such, since we suspect these will be a source of future repairs and louder fans. I started to lose my enthusiasm for our inital Wolf plan and searched for advice here, and that's when I discovered Lacanche.


A little background: my husband and I both like to cook. I cook almost every day and I also like to bake (patisserie and viennoiserie). My husband bakes breads (sourdoughs, baguettes, bagels, pretzels) and makes his own pizzas. We prefer things that are more mechanical/less digital and that are QUALITY. The Lacanche ranges seem to fit the bill perfectly, and of course, I am IN LOVE with the aesthetics. Most of the time we are cooking for 2-3 people, although occasionally we will have a larger party and we dream of having extended family come for Thanksgiving.


Our biggest concerns are around the ovens. I'm considering either the Sully (if we can make that size work) or the Savigny/Saulieu so that we can get at least one of the larger ovens. Because we like to bake, we would probably get an electric oven with convection. We are worried about the ovens being too small or having uneven heat in the smaller cavities, especially for baking. And we are not sure if we should consider gas for one oven. Does it have any real advantage over electric? For the range top, we are thinking of adding the induction rings to go complement the gas burners.


I've already spoken with Victoria and hope to meet a Lacanche ambassador and see one of these beauties in person before too long, but I'd also appreciate any owner feedback here, especially if you're a big baker and/or pizza maker! Thank you so much!

Comments (11)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    We have a Sully. The ovens are perfectly large enough. We are a family of six and we entertain a good amount. Large turkeys, geese, rib roasts, they all fit well and come out incredibly well.

    As for baking, I am not a huge baker, aside from Christmas when hundreds if not thousands of shortbread cookies and gingersnaps come out of those ovens over the course of December. We have a pizza oven and a CSO for bready things, so nothing to report there.

    Do consider the induction domino for the LC (not that you asked ;-)

    PS We have one gas and one electric oven and I have not found any problems baking in the gas oven. In December when we make industrial quantities of cookies, we definitely use both ovens at the same time.

    bluescootergirl thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • 7 years ago

    Just noticed you like to bake patisserie and viennoiserie- that should work super well in a French range.

    I don't bake much because those are the only two forms of baked goods I like and I don't have the patience or talent for that kind of work! Good for you. I would look like the Michelin Man if I could bake my own tarts and croissants.

  • 7 years ago

    We have the Savigny with double electric convection ovens, classique configuration and induction hob ( left side: double gas burner, centre: single large gas burner, right side: double induction burners). It was the only range that checked off most of the features we were looking for in a compact package that was under 48" wide. The Savigny is 44".


    Larger oven and vertical oven both bake evenly and results are consistent between them. We can fit a full size baking sheet in the larger oven. The (smaller) vertical oven is deep and wide enough to fit a couple of casserole dishes stacked. Another advantage of a smaller oven is that it heats up sooner, so for convenience we use it to bake our frozen goods for breakfast as an example.


    We also love the induction feature to boil and simmer. Water for a cup of tea is boiled in 20 seconds! Spills are easily wiped off and do not get baked on like our previous electric glass top. Keep in mind you may need new induction compatible cookware.


    If you have an opportunity to see one in person, I encourage you to do so. We were fortunate to see one through an ambassador, and through our distributor.


    Good luck with your decision!



    bluescootergirl thanked sornbarry
  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    First of all, great decision! I absolutely love my Lacanche that I've owned for just over 3 years. I have a Cluny 1400 with smaller ovens than the Sully. I find the oven size to be just perfect for my family of six. We also have additional friends and family to eat over almost every week and we frequently have large parties (20-30 people) that we cook for and I've managed just fine with the ovens. I actually prefer the smaller ovens to a larger American sized oven, which I think are generally too large for everyday cooking. I would think the Sully ovens would be fine for your daily needs and any special events that you host.

    I also have an electric and a gas oven, I like both. The gas is great for cooking meats. The electric is great for baking and for everyday cooking. If I could only chose one though, it would be the electric because it's more versatile. My husband and I have baked many loaves of bread, including sour dough. Our eldest daughter is the big baker in the family, she bakes something almost every week including macarons.

    Please let me know if you have any other questions.

    bluescootergirl thanked Deck The Halls
  • 7 years ago

    I am *really* looking forward to seeing one of these beauties in person and I am hopeful that it will be perfect for us. #fingerscrossed

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    If it is any help at all I love to cook and bake. My choice for appliances for that are an all gas 6 burner range with convection gas oven. Double full size wall ovens all electric and convection. IMO bread and pizza are best baked in a gas oven and cookies and many other things do best in an electric oven. In my dreams I would have a wood fired oven outside too.

    bluescootergirl thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 7 years ago

    @Shin your comment made me laugh because, you’re right, we are spoiled in America with larger ovens! DH and I went to see a Sully range today, thanks to a wonderful Ambassador. What a beautiful range! Ovens looked quite large, but less height than what DH expected. Now we are actually curious to see one that has the single large oven and the vertical side oven. That may be a better fit for us.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Bonjour BlueScooterGirl! So exciting :)


    You are in perfect hands on this forum, but just keep in mind that more intimate , 'tradiitional' ovens have so many benefits in baking, roasting or the like, and lack of excess space means you're not inadvertently drying out food with wasted air. Please let us know how we can help for questions large or small, and very happy shopping !

    Merci !

    Lacanche US

    blair@frenchranges.com

  • 7 years ago

    @sornbarry we are seriously thinking about a Savigny for our kitchen with the range configuration you mentioned. We think we want induction for some uses. For the vertical electric oven, do you find that you can fit a half sheet baking pan in there by putting it in short side first? Or does it not fit? We saw a Volnay today with the warming drawer and the half sheet fit if you slid it onto the side racks directly. But when I’ve looked at the spec sheets, for some strange reason it seems to suggest that the vertical oven is smaller than the warming oven, which I can’t believe. I’m calling Lacanche tomorrow to double check, but I figured it would be good to ask here, too. :)

  • 7 years ago
    Unfortunately a half sheet baking pan will not fit. The interior dimensions on the specs are true. Because the vertical oven is electric convection, you do lose at least a couple of inches of depth due to the fan at the back of the oven.

    We have smaller 10 x 15 baking sheets that fit nicely in the oven. The panel that covers the back wall of the oven is angled in the corners so that you lose about an inch in width and depth at the corners. If you had a pan with the exact same interior dimensions listed, it will not fit.
    bluescootergirl thanked sornbarry