Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hdewey

Living/Dining: I got this far ... what now?

hdewey
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
We have been in our home for 1 year, and I am stymied by how to decorate and arrange this space. We have an open two-story foyer that splits a dining room and living room. The furniture has been purchased, but now I am at a loss as to where to go design-wise.

Originally, I had the bright idea that because my spaces are both relatively small, that I should connect them in both textiles and design elements (symmetry is big for my husband). The living room is 8x12, but you'll notice how the corner of the room is cut away into the hallway where the column is.

The question is - what now? Lamps are the bane of my existence - money is no object, but taste is. What suggestions for art on the empty wall do you have? What mistakes can I correct? Do you have suggestions for a mirror on the opposing wall in the dining room? I like the idea of grasscloth, but could/should I use it in both spaces? And those drapes and side tables are temp solutions - happy to replace them! Many thanks.

Comments (9)

• felixgrantham
    10 years ago
    Can you please post some more pictures of the LR?

I would suggest mirror above the couch is too small - buy a larger piece of art to hang there. You can move the mirror to the opposite wall in the dining room, or to a wall in the entry.
  • hdewey
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @felixgrantham: thanks for the comment about the mirror. I had that feeling in my gut that it was too small. What angle are you looking for of the living room?
  • sh ca
    10 years ago
    It is hard to see your furnishings from these pictures, but I would suggest a couple of things based on what I can see. Rotate your living room furniture 90 degrees. We don't want to be seeing the backs of the chairs. I *think* your rug may be too small, but it's hard to see. I would suggest lighter drapes, both in weight and in color. Finally, I recommend updating the light fixtures. You have what are popularly referred to as "boob lights" because that what they look like when you look up at them. They are so easily recognizable that they tend to look cheap. So, those are priority numero uno. Go bigger with the one in the dining room and change the hurricane lamp on the table to something shorter and with more texture. If you want symmetry in wall/artwork as well then you can put large works of art in each room on the far walls or mirrors (not the same mirror). The mirror you have now is too small if you want to use it on that wall. More pictures will help us help you more. Good luck!
  • afronaut
    10 years ago
    Do you think maybe your side chairs are too big? One is completely blocking the opening on the right side of the column. Actually this room looks perfect for a classy office. If you have a large family room beyond the stairs, do you really need a "formal living room" in the front? Those side chairs look so comfy, perfect for lounging in front of a TV!
  • afronaut
    10 years ago
    Maybe something like this:
    KSMID Studio · More Info
  • PRO
    Uprise Art
    10 years ago
    What are you looking for art-wise, in terms of style and/or color? We have a lot of pieces that would look great on the empty wall - here are some suggestions, but if you have anything specific in mind I'm sure we can find something suitable:
    No Endings by Erin Lynn Welsh · More Info

Untitled by Bo Kim · More Info

The Stadium by Amelia Midori Miller · More Info

Purple Stuff by Diana Delgado · More Info

Also feel free to check out the gallery on our website for more ideas! Good luck
  • hdewey
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments yesterday! I have some more pictures, and some answers to questions posed.

@scaplan: I really appreciate the constructive suggestions. Please see the attached images for some of the "details" and the rotated furniture. I think I may have to send the furniture 180 degrees, though. I know it's hard to see here, but there is almost no space to the right and left of the loveseat for lighting. Perhaps this is an argument for wall sconces? There's no where to put a table lamp, for sure, and I tried putting a floor lamp in the corner next to the loveseat, but it just looked cramped and terrible. I'll try putting the loveseat against the window, I guess.

However, it does still leave out the idea of accent tables if it's against the short wall. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter, let me know. The rug may, indeed, be too small. And my husband's not wild about the pattern against the chairs. Although, given his way, he would have plain rug, plain chairs, and maybe some pattern in the pillows. Maybe. Should I just change it out altogether? Will lighter curtains look all right as a more formal space?

@afronaut: the chairs are pretty standard size. It's just a tiny living room because of the odd cut-off space. They are, however, very comfortable. We have aging family and friends and required a place that everyone could sit and get up from without difficulty. We are a large family, by ourselves, but with our extended family, we had 23 for Christmas!

We actually already have two offices (one is around the corner from the living room). My husband works from home, and requires a place to be "off-limits" from the kids. Similarly, I need a place where it can be closed off when I work from home, so my space is in the basement. So, living room it is.

@uprise art: I definitely prefer the one you posted titled "No Endings" as it seems to incorporate the taupe and the gray. My grandfather was an award winning artist, but unfortunately, most of his subjects are not fitting in with the style of our home. I'll definitely take a look at your gallery, though.

Thanks, again, everyone!
  • laurenlbb
    9 years ago
    the furniture placement is much better now. Now get a glass coffee table. The glass wont be too visually heavy in this small room. I could see a tall fake plant in the corner next to the sofa and on the other side of the sofa maybe a side table. (its hard to see how much room you have.) Lastly you need an accent color to add drama and interest. Incorporate this in your art work for the walls and go big here. A lot of little pictures won't do. One large piece of art will make the room look bigger. For above the sofa get a large mirror. It will reflect the view from the window-beautiful. You could also buy a pillow or two in the accent color you choose. Now to tie the dining room in sprinkle the same accent color around. You could get place-mats in that color, paint the lower half of the chair rail in that color and again get large pieces of art work for the walls too. Hope this helps-happy decorating-you have a lovely home!