0

what would you do? kitchen help

Cc C
October 21, 2018

hi everyone!!! I had made a post on my kitchen a while back asking for advise on my cabinets/hardware etc. thankfully a lot of you advised me to keep the oak cabinets as is and change hardware. I'm so glad we kept them as they are growing on me much more! I went ahead and changed the hardware to a dark stainless look - looks almost exactly like rubbed oil bronze. I really like how they turned out. I'm looking for ways to make my smaller kitchen feel bigger and airy. we have plans to change flooring tile eventually to something fresh and no pink! lol any advise tips on how to keep a U shaped kitchen feeling big would be great. any advise on little things to enhance the look would also be lovely! thank you and I'm interested to see what everyone suggests!!!!! photos attached.

• Cc C
    Christopher trust me I'm not moving that cabinet!!!
  • Cc C
    I'm going to get a blue plant pot for my plant and some nice blue placemats! not sure about what to add next to cabinet but most importantly the extra storage space is a winner.
  • christoper

Framed Cork Board, Nero Black, Outer Size 21"x15" · More Info

Lemon Decor Kitchen Chalkboard · More Info

:) if you purchase a blackboard or cork board you could use blue pins or bright blue

chalk. just to get you thinking,

• christoper

other ideas

Fresh Catch Vintage Wooden Sign, 11"x32" · More Info

"Start Your Day" By Kim Lewis, Gallery Wrap Canvas Art Print, 16"x32" · More Info

Wall Art, Berry Bush Songbirds, 16"x24" · More Info

think i posted this before on the wrong site

• Ednamaee

I think you made a wise choice keeping the original finish on the cabinets as they match the hardwoods in the next room. Have you thought about buying slipcovers for the chairs? If the lkea henderstahl? work there are online companies that make custom covers...i was thinking something with dominantly gray and orange and brown to tie the colors of the cabinets and hardwoods with the gray table plus add a casual, playful pop of color. may not be worth the expense, but would look nice.

• christoper

if you see a pot with bright blue with any of the colors shown in the above posts, that would also look great. Also, multicolored blue placements would also look great, Please no white in the pot or placemat :)

• Cc C
    Christopher what colour would you lean towards for the counter top and floor
  • christoper

Would like to see photo of flooring in connecting spaces before making a suggestion. The mixed look is available in many combinations. You will want something that blends with both woods in your kitchen and with connecting spaces. You should make your decision about appliances first. Those will impact your choice. Stainless or Black? Do you have a preference for the counter. Would also like picture of the wall with stove on it. Everything impacts these decisions. hope this is helping.

• christoper

83" Gilberto Cabinet Recycled Pine Spring Blue Glass Panel On Door Three Shelves · More Info
    This color would look stunning with your cabinets. This is the type of cabinet I wondered if you could squeeze in on your stove wall if it was 24" wide or even less. It would be awesome if it had 3 drawers instead of cabinet bottom. This painted look would look purposely purchased and not like an attempt to match your kitchen cabinets. any comment CC? trying to get a feel for your taste. This is quite expensive but is just to give you an idea.

• Cc C

Christopher joining floors

• Cc C
    will be stainless steel appliances
  • christoper

Traditional Kitchen · More Info
    cc THIS IS ON THE HOME PAGE OF HOUSE RIGHT NOW. THERE ARE MANY ADDITIONAL KITCHENS, ALL WITH OAK CABINETS. WITH LOTS OF DIFFERENT FLOORS AND COUNTERS..SHOULD TELL YOU WHAT YOU LIKE AND WHAT YOU DON'T (HOPE YOU CAN SEE IT) LOOK ON HOME PAGE FOR LINK

• katinparadise

If your adjoining floors are hardwood, carrying them into your kitchen will give you the most cohesive look. You would probably have to sand and re-stain all the floors so they match well, but that would give you the opportunity to change stain colors if you choose to.

• Cc C
    hi guys. we plan on going with luxury vinyl TILE. not plank. I'm thinking a gray or sand colour. what do you think?
  • katinparadise

I think I would keep it warm to work with your wood floors and cabinets. A slate look could also be pretty.

• christoper

hi CC, are you going for a single color in your floor or one with multi tones in it. There are some great choices with mixed wood looks that could coordinate with existing wood floor, cabinets and table. You might want to bring the smallest piece of your cabinetry with you when searching for tile. It will help you with your decision.. just an fyi that the planks are easier and faster to install, but the tile will also look great. Look for tiles that have their own built in base so you don't have to install an extra layer. It is faster and easier to install. I have seen some beautiful light grey with a hint of warm oak, and medium grey/blk color together and they would be terrific.(mostly warm light grey) These multi tiles are great at hiding dust and dirt so they are easy to live with. Hope that helps. ]; remember to have your camera with you with lots of kitchen photos. It 's something I do and it reminds you of small details you might forget.. :) Oh and also remember to purchase the transition strip to use between new and adjoining floor. Try and choose your backsplash tile at the same time. More on counters later.

PS the higher the mm rating the better quality. Look for -12mm wear rating It makes a big difference in wear.

• christoper

Think grey will look better than sand floor. It will look better with your living room, unless their is tan in LR that I don't see in picture.

• christoper

CC i have no idea if you were considering a cover for your front door. This would look fantastic. See how beautiful the concrete is. Just throwing out an idea. Of course it would be much smaller roof but would put a real wow onto your split. :) don't we wish we could all make these changes..:)

Arlington, VA - Exterior · More Info
  • christoper
    think this catalina gris would be lovely in your kitchen. The light really bounces off this tile. at home depot.

• Cc C
    love that Christopher
  • christoper

what do you think of the colors in this tile?

Transitional Mediterranean Kitchen · More Info
    this might not be exactly the right color but think this style would look beautiful. you will probably require a little more grey in your kitchen floor, this style would complement your existing hardwood floors

• christoper

a couple of suggestions

The art in the LR appears a touch high. 6 - 9 inches above sofa back usually works best.

Also, would you consider moving the art to the right (close to end of sofa) then it will relate to the lamp and look like a grouping. One of the many rules in decor.

Also would you think about adding a small amount of another color in LR. could be any color you love. even a large green plant. The room is lovely and just requires amping up a little. One larger element on your corner piece also. Could be just about anything.

It will just add another layer. A vessel, (could be a glass, tiny vase, animal figure, anything really) with a few small flowers, Look for inexpensive faux arrangements that would add another color to your LR. If you have a large platter, plate or tray, put on coffee table and add a wide candle, colored object in whatever color you choose for flowers, stacked coasters..almost anything will work. yes, 1 piece could be white but not necessary. It won't take much to add an extra layer. you require 3 items on tray.

If you are unsure about a color, (don"t laugh) look around your house and in your closet ,for t -shirts, towels, shirts, blouses, kitchen items, a christmas ornament, anything that is the color you are thinking about. Put them in the LR for a few days and then see if you enjoy that little extra punch.

You could also clip a few branches from your yard and put them in a vessel.

Maybe try putting 2 chairs on each side of Dinette table. Think it will anchor area and make area look larger. I actually like your table with the 6 chairs. but if it is too crowded for you for every day, then try just the 4 opposite from each other. it is the final tweaking that will make your house a home. :)

• Cc C
    christopher the backsplash you show is white. I thought white would clash with my kitchen? should I get dark grout maybe ?
  • Cc C
    or maybe a light gray backsplash?
  • christoper

sorry CC i thought that was the warm light gray one i sent you. definitely light grey. grout should be same color..glad you noticed my mistake. no white backspash. oops

• christoper
    this is Lancaster dove. I thought they were the same tile.

• christoper

i just checked the "catalina gris" and it should be light warm grey. "catalina" is white, from what I researched..Good Luck :) ask installer for minimal grout lines, and matching the grout will look best. your house has probably finished settling, so wide grout not required.

• Cc C

I love these colors with oak!!

• christoper

i also like this. I am worried that it won't be the best with your table. For your space I would still think about warm grey as it will look better with the table and the blue. That said, you have to like it. maybe you could purchase 4 or 5 of each tile and lean them against table and cabinets.. That often helps. The above kitchen also has lots of ceiling light which make a big difference.

In addition, the higher polish/shine you have the fresher it will look and the reflection will make it look brighter in your kitchen. Honed finishes absorb the light. You may want to think about polished tile and counter.

Just my 2 cents worth :) That kitchen doesn't show the appliances. Remember to consider them also. What are you thinking of purchasing first? The tile I am suggesting is a warm grey, not the blue grey of your living room.

• Cc C
    christopher we plan on either getting the appliances first or backsplash. so you think some warm gray toned backsplash and flooring is the best option? deffinately not cold gray but I like the way you think!!!
  • christoper

goodmorning. The backsplash should probably be installed after the counter. You don't want to damage it while removing the counter. Yes for sure the light warm grey. The quartz counter could have a small amount of the cabinet color. So, guess next step is appliances. have fun!!

• christoper

if you don't have one, you might also think about installing a pull out pot drawer in one of your cabinets. Ensure it has high sides. You will love it. choose your widest cabinet and install on bottom

• christoper

stove and fridge hint...make sure they are not slide ins as the sides may not be stainless. and back on stove should have additional height.

• christoper

CC I wondered if you still had the upper cabinets that you removed..if you do, you might be able to use one beside your single one and put your micoware on the wall under it. It could be easily balanced.

• christoper

Counter: when they measure for your quartz, ask them curve all the corners, and add an additional 3-4 inches to the peninsula so it hangs over the back of the peninsula,. You won't believe how much counter you gain. cost will be minimal extra but added space is awesome. As I think I mentioned before, try and go the the stone fabricator in your area. They have larger samples, and price will be less than say home depot. Home Depot's samples are too small to see details. The person at home depot may tell you who would be doing the install, and that's probably the fabricator. Standard depth is 1 1/4" (some places will quote on 3/4" to make their price seem cheaper) 3/4" isn't strong enough.

• Cc C
    love your suggestions Christopher. thank you. looking into getting stainless appliances first. appreciate all of your help. you've been great!
  • christoper

you are very welcome. Your split is lovely and I hope you are enjoying the journey. I am excited for you about your appliances. They will really start to make your dream a reality. Good Luck.

• Cc C

Christopher question for you... what kind of side or end table would you add to my living room on the side of couch? I'm trying to stay away from more white as I want the kitchen to be incorporated as well in the look. thanks! ( ignore the tree )

• christoper

my tree looks very similar to yours :) and is also still up..going either tonight or tomorrow.

• christoper

/probably a med colored wood that you love. Think about one with drawer/s or shelf. Something with a similar style leg as in your accent chair. Thinking double duty for anything you add to your home helps with clutter. You might think of purchasing 2 as it will make further choices easier. A wood tray on coffee table would bring more wood into your room also. You could also paint your etagere unit another color (even blue) or grey at some point down the road.-you might also try a table lamp base in your accent colour. wow, does the yellow ever add a punch to your room. how about trying bright green

• christoper

Mixing wood and metal is fantastic. Gives the room depth and doesn't look too matchy-matchy.

• Cc C
    bi ly the comment above yours is my living room. lots of blue and white. what colour or tone would you go for floor or counter ?
  • Cc C
    and hallway is accessible beige by sherwin William's. there isnt reslly a hall to separate these two rooms they are right next to one another.
  • Cc C
    christopher wood tray what shape? do I always need to have something in the Tray?
  • Cc C

how do I incorporate the blue theme living room into the kitchen? if I find a blue plant pot I will be exchanging the one I currently have.

• christoper

Re the tray: I always think it is great to have things on the tray, it is a conversation piece. changing it up frequently (seasonally) is interesting and not too costly. You don't have to change everything at once. I would suggest a rectangular tray. Trays are a collectible item. The more the merrier over the years. Try and look at trays in all pictures you review and get ideas from what you see. trays are terrific in almost any room. I.e. guest room, could have a clock, a simple flower, a book, a figurine, sculpture, faux greenery....almost anything .... keep looking at photos for ideas and make notes. rectangle shaped trays are the most practical. odd numbers are a must, 3, 5, items look best.

• christoper

re blue in kitchen: you have already begun with artwork. placemats with blue in them will also work, a larger plant pot with blue in it, sink floor mat with blue in it, It doesn't have to be all blue, just keep blue in each item. If you decide on an accent colour for the living room, you could include it with blue in the items above. However, I would not include blue in your basic colour scheme of kitchen, ie backsplash, counter, floor etc. Only accent with blue.

• christoper

hope the above helps.

• christoper

Did you try 2 chairs on each side of table?