Software
Houzz Logo Print
chris209_gw

Placed First Hortico Order

I've never ordered with this company before, but they have an enticing list of oldie but goodie Austin roses, so I'm giving them a try. Roses grafted on multiflora have always done well for me, and with the high percentage of virused roses I've gotten from DA in recent years, I'd rather order elsewhere. Here's what I ordered, but if the past is any indication, I will change the order numerous times before I receive the roses next spring. The poor folks at Palatine know this well.


Imogen (thanks to Marlorena's enabling)

James Galaway (thanks to Krista's enabling)

Pretty Jessica (I've had it before own-root but it petered away)

Roald Dahl


I was tempted by several others but really, really don't have the room and in fact will need to do some shuffling to squeeze these guys in. I was rather surprised to see newer roses on their list. Roald Dahl is only available for the first time next year through DA I believe.


-Chris

Comments (23)

  • 7 years ago

    Where were you able to get your James Galaway from?


    Yes, I'm definitely excited to get these! As I said, I've been wanting a grafted, non Dr. Huey, Pretty Jessica for a while since my own-root never thrived. The others seem like great roses, but we shall see.


    Has anyone else placed an order?


    -Chris

  • 7 years ago

    Great choices. Ever since I saw Krista's 'James Galway', I am also tempted to order it hopefully from Palatine since sadly Hortico is not offering 'Sir Edward Elgar' any more. Don't understand why because those who grow this rose are very happy with it. The only hopes one can have for this wonderful rose named after such a great composer are solely now with Palatine.

  • 7 years ago

    Hortico gets their budded Austins from Austin in Texas. Should be true to type

  • 7 years ago

    “from Austin in Texas”. ^^^^

    The OP seems not to know this.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Hortico told me Cressida and St. Cecilia I got from them this Spring were grafted on multiflora. DAs from DA in Texas are on Dr. Huey I think. The roses I got from Hortico looked very different than the DAs from Texas when they arrive.

  • 7 years ago

    Many of the roses they are offering have been "dropped" by DA so are not available from DA in Texas, or at least that's what I thought.


    This is taken from Hortico's website:


    "Many of our roses are budded on Rosa multiflora seedlings, some shrub roses on Rosa rubiginosa seedlings, and a few others on Rosa canina seedling rootstock. We use seedlings in order to combat the spread of viruses. Thus our fields are considered quite clean from viruses. In addition, fields are regularly examined by Agriculture Canada inspectors. "

    Hortico - Rose Roots


    -Chris

  • 7 years ago

    Sorry if I didn't make my comments about Hortico clearer. They get their mother planst from Austin in Texas but they graft from the mother on multiflora.

  • 7 years ago

    Vesfl, I've seen James Galway in zone 5B and it does great there. I'm going to get it eventually; you should too! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Are the mother plants Hortico receives from Austin in Tx believed to be virus free?

  • 7 years ago

    Hortico got Cressida and St. Cecilia from Rick on this forum. DA no longer sells those.

  • 7 years ago

    We just had this very same discussion regarding the new vendor on the west coast grafting on multiflora (what was its name?). I appreciate the effort to graft onto virus free rootstock. When it comes to the scions it’s impossible to know unless testing is conducted. This would not just be a problem for the Austin roses but for the entire inventory, as well as own root growers, since you don’t know if their mother plants are virus free either.

  • 7 years ago

    Question: comparing to order from DA website, what is the advantage of ordering from Hortico? DA website has 5-year warranty. I am living in TX. Thanks.

  • 7 years ago

    Most DAs from TX will be grafted on Dr. Huey rootstalk. Some of their varities are own root but not all. Most roses coming out of Canada will be grafted on multiflora rootstalk. For me, personally, in my wicked zone 5, it gives me a much more vigorous plant to start with. If a plant dawdles for me the first year it is likely to be lost over winter.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, Ikayetwvz5

  • 7 years ago

    Chris209, did you ever find out the name of the new vendor on the west coast grafting on multiflora? I’d be very interested.

  • 7 years ago

    Was that Grace rose farm?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Pretty Jessica's fragrance is so lovely! The blooms are very pretty and the plant remains fairly compact. Hope you like it! Grace Rose Farm is the new nursery that is reported to have virus-free rootstock.


  • 7 years ago

    Thank you!!!

  • 7 years ago

    Brump. Benefits on OWN root vs. the multiflora in this thread for 7A. Munstead /Own Root and Boscobel/ Huey from DA direct VS. these 2 species from Hortico ?

  • 7 years ago

    Where are you located a1?

    in my opinion, hortico is much smaller plants . They catch up almost ( depending on variety ) to my dr Huey David Austin’s by the end of summer. But when you get them, you’ll be amazed how they can fit ten roses in a small box , however I like hortico and order from them no complaints!

  • 7 years ago

    Yes, Grace Rose Farm was the one I was thinking of.

    -Chris

  • 7 years ago

    I agree with Lilyfinch that Hortico roses are much smaller plants than what you expect for grafted plants. I placed an order for 3 roses from Hortico last spring. Although they were small, they were extremely vigorous! I have gotten more flowers from the Moonstone grafted on multiflora from Hortico in one growing season than the Moonstone grafted on Dr. Heuy from Edmunds in the last 3 years that I have had it. Savoy Hotel on multiflora also bloomed profusely! I was pleasantly surprised and very happy with my roses from Hortico.