Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chimacalgal

How to search for bedspreads/coverlets by specific dimensions

CJ Mac
5 years ago

We have 2 twin XL adjustable beds with the legs set at 13" from the floor (easier on the joints to not have to bend so far). I tried one set of highly-rated twin XL spreads from Wayfair, but they were ridiculously short on the sides--and I REALLY don't want a dust ruffle. I'm also not into that IKEA look with all the bedding tucked in so you can see the base and the legs (I have a few boxes I like to keep under the bed).

So here are the dimensions I just measured: for the length, somewhere from 95-102" and for the width, 73-78". Those minimum measurements are from the top/head of the bed over the bottom to 4" below the base. And the width is 4" below the base from each side. Longer would be preferable, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find it.

Our old king bedspread fits fine in the length: I thought that perhaps I could buy 2 and then cut to fit--but the corners are going to be a problem as they will stick out much further than they should, and I'm not a good enough seamstress to figure out how to fix that.

This is the one I ordered from Wayfair: I do like that simple look, but again, it was much too short all around, and the color was way off. I was going to exchange taupe for the sky blue or ivory if it had fit. https://www.wayfair.com/bed-bath/pdp/eldon-reversible-quilt-set-lfmf4294.html?piid=29587845%2C29587840

Thanks for your help!

Comments (16)

• Sammy
    5 years ago

Try queen size.

• CJ Mac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

At least on Wayfair, the Queen dimensions of the few I looked at were a perfect square which would definitely not work. It's the drudgery of having to check dimensions on every single bedspread that's a pain in the neck. Thought someone might have a solution or better way to search. (I also thought that Twin XL bedspreads were going to be easy-peasy to find. Not when they are lumped in with Twin.)

• elunia
    5 years ago

Unfortunately, there is so much variation you will have to look at dimensions each time. If you are able to increase your price range I think you will have more options. This one at Macy’s is Full/Queen 90x96:

• CJ Mac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh, I can definitely increase the price range. I think I just got some offer from Wayfair--maybe on FB--that made me give them a try for once.

90x96 is still going to give me odd dimensions: the sides will be much longer. I need it to be 20-30" longer than wide.

• erinsean
    5 years ago

Some stores make bedspreads special made to size you need. J C Penney's used to do that.

• elunia
    5 years ago

Ok, how about this one from Peacock Alley 72x92 (I know it doesn’t quite meet your ideal measurement, but maybe worth considering?). I searched under high end dorm bedding (who knew?!):

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

That Wayfair quilt is attractive and is a ganga price with the shams. I would get the king size, then find a seamstress to alter it to your actual preferred size.

• Molly
    5 years ago
    Did you look at Bed, Bath and Beyond? This one is 80x112 for a twin.
  • athomeeileen
    5 years ago
    If you don’t want a skirt you need to look for a bedspread. Comforters and coverlets will not be long enough without the skirt. Bedspreads are made to go almost to the floor.
  • leelee
    5 years ago

atho is right. You don't want a bed skirt but you don't want a duvet that's too short because that looks bad. You need a bedspread. It might even be hard to find a bedspread that's long enough because your beds are pretty high off the floor.

Do you have a Calico Corners or other fabric shops in your area? They are in touch with many people that make custom bedding. They will also make drapes and shams to match.

It will cost more but you get exactly the right size and the fabric you choose.

CJ Mac thanked leelee
  • leelee
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Also, a bed skirt doesn't have to be a "ruffle". It can be completely smooth and flat.

CJ Mac thanked leelee
  • CJ Mac
    Original Author
    5 years ago

leelee, I just started thinking of Calico Corners last night when I couldn't sleep. :-)

Yes, I definitely want a bedspread: it's just surprising how few sites have that as an option anymore: everything is duvets, comforters, coverlets. (I wonder if this is related to the trouble in finding women's long-sleeved shirts and everything being 3/4-length these days.)

• leelee
    5 years ago

Ha! Yes, there is a correlation between the two. It's very covert so don't act like you noticed. Shhh.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Get a bedskirt if your bed is set unusually high.

• CJ Mac
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Just wanted to follow up that we finally decided on a set of bedspreads and shams from LL Bean. I didn't think the color would look good with our eggplant colored curtains, but the exact color is in a wall hanging we have in there so ties it together. Just need to get something decorative to hang on the wall above the beds. (Since they are adjustable, we don't really need headboards.)

This is the twin size. We both think this looks all right without putting a skirt underneath. I just wanted the legs to be hidden which these spreads do.