0

Need help with Kitchen hardware

Claudia Castillo
I need help with kitchen hardware ideas I think I have about 50 cabinets and 20 drawers they are a charcoal stain my doorknobs are Crystal with flat black and my sink and appliances are stainless the cabinets are stacked the ceiling is 10’
Thanks for any suggestions
  • tedbixby

Starting with the countertop only, what one/s are you and hubby drawn to? I think that whatever one you go with, that the flooring will need to be explored further so right now, I'd focus on what countertop looks the best with the cabinets and then the paint. The paint sample shown, is that what is on the walls now or is what it was suppose to be?

On a side note, it doesn't look like any of the countertops will work with the marble tile. It's either because of the hue is different than the slab or it will look like it was mismatched since it is suppose to look like the same material or just too much busyness with the slab and the flooring. I think a wood floor whether it is wood or tile is going to look much better. But let's see if we can get the counter top figured out and then move onto the flooring.

• Claudia Castillo
    We like Super White and Alaska White
  • Claudia Castillo
    They didn’t have a sample of either so I can’t test them
  • elisaknoff
    Hi, I'm new to commenting on this site but not new to rehab and remodeling. I sweat I've used every type of color combination out there . With what you've already mentioned about your couch and decor, I would suggest incorporating brass to the look. Maybe handles or light fixtures, trim on the stove vent and don't just incorporate it in one spot, incorporate it in the whole visual sight lines without over using it (vase, curtain rods, lighting). It will give a very high end look.
  • tedbixby

Ok. So we have one that is a "quieter" pattern and the other one more dramatic (for lack of a better term.) Do you have photoshop capabilities? If you don't, I can do Houzz "sketches" of these in your kitchen as actual photoshop is above my pay level-lol...though sketching isn't as good as a visual as Photoshop, at least it is better than nothing. But for me to do the sketches I need to be able to grab photos out of your Ideabooks. So what I would need you to do, is set up an Ideabook and put photos in it of your kitchen. I think the 1st one you posted at the beginning of the thread that shows the wall of cabinets with the island will be ok unless you can get the same photo but is maybe a bit larger so when I sketch in the granite it will not become insignificant (hope that makes sense) . Put all the wood flooring photos you have posted in the book and also the last 2 photos of the slabs that you like. If you have another photo of the Super White, add that to the book, too.

You can add your other color floor tiles, too. Because the marble tile is too cool in color compared to the slabs, I don't think it is worth exploring. But if you feel you would like to see how it looks put it in your Ideabook and I can show you with a sketch.

This sound good to you?

• Claudia Castillo
    Tedbixby, thank you so much I will drop the kids off at school and run by and take a better photo.
  • tedbixby

Ok. Don't be afraid to take a bunch of different views of the kitchen and post them in the Ideabook. I can pull the ones I think will work the best. Just make sure that the floor is showing in some of them so I can add flooring. And make sure the lighting is good so that you when you see the sketch you are seeing it all in good lighting and not shadows.

• Lidia Nonn
    Kitchen hardware . . . Brushed gold, pulls on all doors (limit knobs to just a couple. Sleek, streamline to go with your MCM aesthetic. The gold will marry nicely with the blues and yellow/gold you have in the adjoining room. If you then go with some gold lighting fixtures, perhaps mixing with silver, the mixed metals in the kitchen will look great on that yummy black canvas.
  • tedbixby

Did a real quick search of Alaska White in kitchens just to give you more of a visual as a start.

Don't look on the right side. This gives you a visual as to what it looks like on the island and more so as if you use it for a backsplash.

jane Lockhart Interior Design · More Info

Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Beautiful Shaker Cabinetry · More Info

3730 Drake · More Info

• Claudia Castillo
    I took the pictures but I think I have to add them to my idea book on my home computer so as soon as I can I will post.
  • tedbixby

No worries as I got a lot of other things going on at the moment..

• Claudia Castillo
    I understand and thank you for the help I think we will just do the Super White so just the one if I can get the photos loaded
  • tedbixby

Ok, Post in the Ideabook as many of the Super White photos that you took of the slab. I need to see if the whole slab if possible.

• Claudia Castillo
    Still having issues uploading photos to my idea book but I did find a visualizer on one of the MSI website so here are some floor samples
  • Claudia Castillo
    Last 4 I will work on adding to my idea book
  • tedbixby

These photos are so helpful and hopefully you'll be able to post them in your Ideabook as it will really give us a better visual.

• RedRyder
    Can you bring a sample of the Super White home? That will help you decide the flooring. In general, I think the floor that reads “quieter” will be best. It’s hard to see the different shades but the planks that are busy, like choosing the backsplash, will only fight the gorgeous movement of the countertop. One star in the show - and its definitely your countertop! Love your choice.
  • tedbixby

Claudia- I see the photos are in your Ideabook. I think it was a Houzz issue earlier as far as you not being able to download them. No worries. You did great job on putting the slab on the island. Sketching comes out rougher looking than photo shopping but at least it is better than nothing. The one that you did the slab in, are you kind of leaning towards that one for the flooring? It's a bit of work so I'd like to start with the flooring that most interest you right now.

• Claudia Castillo

yes, the one that I sketched is probably our first choice and I marked 3 others that I like. RedRyder they didn't have any samples of the ones I liked the best.

• tedbixby

Ok. I think I'll be able to get to it either tonight or tomorrow sometime. I'm working with a couple right now that are furniture shopping.

• Claudia Castillo
    Thank you no worries, I appreciate all the help you have given already. I feel you are correct with the wood or wood look floor and feel much better about all my selections.
  • tedbixby

Once I saw your Ideabook where you added the slab and the wood floors it made me very excited so I can only imagine how excited you had to be now that your vision is starting to come to a reality. Will you be able to go to a store and look at the flooring that you put in your Ideabook and bring them to the stone yard along with your cabinet and paint chip?

• Claudia Castillo
    Yes I will do that on Monday
  • tedbixby

Your slab

My Kitchen · More Info

Came across this visual in Super White (they need different light bulbs!)

Kitchen Redesign · More Info

• tedbixby

This is soooo rough. That it isn't very helpful but I think it shows as you've been thinking that a wood or wood look tile is the way to go for the floor. And between this sketch and the photo above, I think it gives you an idea an idea of what it looks like as far as using it as a backsplash.

Claudia Kitchen · More Info

• Claudia Castillo
    I’m soo excited floor guy is just waiting for the go ahead I will head to Daltile Monday hope it looks good together in person
  • tdemonti

Ted's mock-up looks great. Bring samples home to see in your light.

• tedbixby

Thanks TD- you're easy to please-lol...

Claudia, looking at the monitor color of your island, that darker paint color may work out. Have you considering holding off changing the wall color until you have the flooring figured out? And if you are going to have it repainted no matter what, you might want to wait on deciding the new paint color til you get the kitchen all figured out. Usually the paint color is the last thing decided upon...

• tedbixby

Claudia-are you moving in already as I see you have your navy sofa in your kitchen-lol

Claudia Kitchen · More Info

.

• Claudia Castillo
    Lol thanks for adding the couch my daughter thought that the counters and floor were already installed lol. I think the paint looks good and am hoping they will just give us a credit so I can put that towards my extra slab for the backsplash.
  • tedbixby

That's a good sign that your daughter thought it was already installed as it tells me that to her it looks like it is as it should be! As long as she didn't question the selection-lol.. That's good that you are liking the paint color now. Without finishes in the space, the paint always pops more and especially if it is a color you weren't expecting. Often the unexpected turns out to be the best thing.

• Claudia Castillo
    I only have my flooring with me
  • tedbixby

No on the tile marble tile. Need the wood for another visual texture to make it interesting rather than 2 smooth looking surfaces. Wood color may be ok but sure wish you had cabinet door. Can you bring the wood one home with you and put it in your space? How are you feeling about it with the slab color? Any others you could bring home just in case this one doesn't work? Anything with more gray tone to it?

• Claudia Castillo
    Can I go really dark gray or does it need to be light?
  • Claudia Castillo
    The marble I just sat down it was a sample for bathroom sorry
  • Claudia Castillo
    I have these 2 samples
  • tedbixby

Sorry to be late in reply. Just bring home whatever you are attracted to. Though I'm guessing you are home already. And if that includes dark might as well try it. Just keep in mind, the dark will show everything.

• Claudia Castillo
    I only had a small sample
  • Claudia Castillo
    Another option
  • tedbixby

2nd and 3rd appears to be cool in tone compared to the slab and too whitish. . Is that true? Based on the photos I would pick the 1st one. The color of it looks like the lighter color in the slab. What are you thoughts?

• tedbixby

Since you are using wood look tile, you want to make sure that the tile setter gives you the smallest grout lines possible so that it looks like wood, not tile.

• Claudia Castillo
    I think part of the color is not showing in the photo but it is rectified tile so hopefully they will give me small grout lines. I really hate tile but my husband loves it ugh. I think it will all work out and look beautiful! I appreciate the help and chose a tile because husband wants it installed. I will post photos tomorrow, they are installing today.
  • tedbixby

What tile you go with? If this had been a few yrs back when the wood look tile looked fake, I would have had you press him to go with the real deal but it has come a long ways and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. And just remember, since your husband loves it, he gets to clean it-lol...

Are they fabricating the countertops? Are you going with the same for the backsplash?

• Claudia Castillo
    Yes I am going with the same for the backsplash. I told him he can clean the tile lol they are adding a boost to the grout to help prevent staining and color loss. I’m nervous and excited lol got quotes on fabrication lol all over the place I think some people try to up charge when the see the house thinking we are rich lol far from it just cashing in a lot of favors. I am thinking of doing the Carrara Marble since it is close to the color of the super white and they are both Marble we will need 4 slabs for the kitchen and Laundry room.
  • tedbixby

And you are familiar with the patina and etching of marble, right?

And I totally agree about the house and "up-charge" as I've experienced many times in various houses. And the reason why my partner has become very handy...though fabricating a counter top is beyond his pay level-lol. Just make sure whoever you hire, knows what they are doing and find out what their warranty is. Lots of counter tops issues on Houzz and you can tell the good fabricators from the bad. The good ones take care of the installation issues and the bad ones point fingers at everyone else.

• Claudia Castillo
    Yes I have done my research and I got estimates on flooring and counters and the one that up-charged 4000.00 more than the others also tried to up-charge on the flooring and I knew the price on that. I read reviews and talked with the people at Daltile so I feel comfortable with this company. Yes I know about the patina that’s all I hear when I say marble in the kitchen lol but I have read post that people are happy with it and to expect the etching but a lot of people say they haven’t gotten stains hopefully I will be in that category. I keep checking the stone yards to see if anything new comes in but now I am close to making a final decision. Then we will be onto hardware lol hopefully you will still help me when I am at that point. The cabinet people said no rush just to let them know and they will install when I am ready.
  • tedbixby

As long as you are educated on marble than you'll be fine with it as you won't have any surprises and be one of those on Houzz that post "why is my marble doing this?" What flooring did you end up going with? One of the 3 you posted yesterday?

I should be around to help you on the hardware though taking a couple weeks trip at the beginning of Feb to Venice and Croatia and I unconnect from the world when I travel. Though probably if the floor is installed and you have your countertop selected we can start figuring it out before the slabs are installed. Have you decided on a kitchen faucet and finish yet?

• Claudia Castillo
    Tedbixby that sound like a awesome trip! I have friends that are in Europe they travel a lot and started a website if you need any help check them out askpamandallan.com
    I had to check my selections for the kitchen as they made me make them in February, the Faucet is Chrome but I can always switch it as we need a new kitchen faucet in the house we will be renting. I also might have a problem with putting the marble all the way up the wall as the fabricators are talking about taking the cabinets down and having them reinstalled, my husband will flip. The cabinets have little notches that stick out
    I am meeting with another installer today and see what he says. If they can’t do it without taking the cabinets off should I do the marble to the first notch and then tile up from there or just do a tile up behind the cooktop? Hope you enjoy your trip
  • tedbixby

I'll check your friends site out. Thanks.

Oh, I see that could be an issue with the notches being hit as they put up that slab. If you can't do the whole backsplash with the marble than do all of it in tile (including below the cabinets). It will be a cleaner look if you stick to one material.

Is the floor in?