Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esi_bonney

Help any way of saving this??

Esi Bonney
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I stupidly over watered this...bought from a cheap place and didn’t repot so was in the wrong soil!!!!

As you can see I have taken all the soil off...I have a feeling that the rot may have got to the stem...

whats the best best thing to do shall I pluck some of the top leaves off?? Does this one propitiate from leaves...

so sad was my favourite but am pretty new to succulents and realised to late

Comments (16)

• Esi Bonney
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi sorry yes I have tried hopefully this will work

• Esi Bonney
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have lost a lot to root rot I think, the bottom leaves i have taken off as they were mushy but i’m Worried that it’s got into the stem...

• J
    5 years ago

Would you post a pic of the bottom? It doesn’t seem rotted from the top, just in need of more light though. Those leaves do look healthy enough to propagate.

Esi Bonney thanked J
  • Esi Bonney
    Original Author
    5 years ago

i’m Unsure how to propigate this type would it be stick the leafs in the soil?? Or just on top?? Happy new year

• Esi Bonney
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry i’m new to this site And it’s not letting me do upload all pic

• Esi Bonney
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Underside
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Looks like leaves are rotting, can't see much of stem. But you said that you over-watered it. Yet some roots look ok in the last photo. If the leaves are falling off very easily, and are mushy as you say, it is most likely rotted.

I do not think leaves with rotting edges will root. If plant is rotting thruout the stem, see if there are any leaves that are healthier. If so, just lay them on anything - some dry potting mix is ok. Put some leaves just on the surface, maybe stick some just barely into mix. Make sure you keep it dry or they will just rot. I never tried rooting leaves of this plant - looks like Echeveria agavoides - so I don't know how easily it grows, but it should. Be patient, it could take a while.

Many leaves will start growing roots without being in or on the any soil. Here are some growing on just a tray:

Here are different leaves just inserted into gritty mix, not deep at all:

• Esi Bonney
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you, I plucked some of the young leaves that hadn’t rotted just letting them callous over! This is definitely a lesson learned..I hear this variety is quite hard to propagate from leaves but will give it a go. Many thanks everyone and happy new year
  • Eryn Falas zone8
    5 years ago

I grow mine on a paper towel! good luck! (this is the current batch)

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    5 years ago

Moistened towels tend to rot leaves quite fast. Don't know why it works for you Eryn, but others would likely do better setting leaves aside to root w/out wetting the towels or misting the leaves. As they are succulents, they already have the moisture they need in their fat, fleshy leaves.

• J
    5 years ago

I fill up a flat with sand and just throw them on. When I see little props growing on the leaves I transfer them to an egg carton to keep them together, but separate. I have never watered mine although I should start misting them soon as some of the leaves are completely dry already. I’ll post a picture in a few minutes.

• J
    5 years ago

• J
    5 years ago

And as I mentioned before I have never watered these. I do keep them outside under a porch so they get daily sunlight but are protected from frost. It’s dipped as low as 26 degrees here over the past week and they’ve done fine with just a little receiving blanket thrown over them at night. As Karen said, all their moisture/food/nutrients are on the leaf. I have read of some folks placing them near water as “water therapy” to get them to root. I’ve never tried it though. Personally, I tend to overly stress most of my succulents. I feel it makes them hardier and also I’m very afraid of water on or near my succulents, lol.

• J
    5 years ago

Eryn, do you leave them there until they root or until they develop little succulent plants? How often do you replace the paper towel with a fresh one?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

They are much better off if kept dry - mother leaf has plenty of moisture in it for plantlets and roots to grow. J, I believe you re doing it right. They get much stronger if not over-watered. No roots - no water...

New plants should get some watering when old leaf is all spent, and by then they should be bigger and stronger.