Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geoforce_gw

Round or Square? 3" or 4"?

geoforce
5 years ago

Trying to get some ideas about what others do for up-potting prolifs and seedlings. Most all of my plants I've always raised in 4" square pots, because I find them easy to arrange compactly and they have more soil volume than round. However, I really prefer the look of all the nice rosette type succulents in round pots. Also 3" might give faster dry-out than 4" and thus require more attention which may be either good or bad. And, is there a problem with over-potting seedlings?

Comments please?

Comments (12)

• Peter Newcastle Aust spider mite breeder
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Now less problems with air flow

5 years ago

Houzz u suck been trying to put more pic up itit wont let

• Emily H
    5 years ago

Hi Peter, If you are posting multiple pics in a single comment, try doing one photo at a time. It may be that the size of the images is causing an issue. If that still doesn't work, please reach out to our team through help.houzz.com and they can troubleshoot with you there. Thanks!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

geoforce

I have most in round, 4" pots, but really prefer square ones - they 'fit' better on the shelves. I have mostly round pots since majority I use are recycled, and round pots seems to be more plentiful. I hardly ever buy any pots - so plastic, recycled, is what I use. Using well draining mix, drying is just fajn in either. I try to mach size of pot to size of pot (but many are probably in pots that are smaller than ideal - again, space issue).

geoforce thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • geoforce
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Peter... From your 2nd photo, it looks like you have Adenium seedlings in 4" (10 cm) , or maybe 3" round pots? Did you up-pot from germination container into these or are these a second repotting?

• Agartta
    5 years ago

Peter - calm down lol, Im experimenting right now making my own pots from cement. The only square pots im thinking to make, is for my 25 year old cactuses x2. I think Adenium looks good in rounder bowl shape pots.

5 years ago

Geoforce i was putting mymy seedlings into 1.5" square pots so they stack better ,but now i put them straight into 3" pots the timber shelves never seemed to dry in winter it was a problem

These are the others in 6 & 8 inch pots the green house plants are 6mth old the ones out side under cover 6inch are 12mths old the 8inch are 18mths old hope this helps

5 years ago

I have cooled down now Agartta hahaha

• abrahamx
    5 years ago

Personal preference. I put seeds in the biggest pot I have room for so I dont have to transplant as soon. I believe I get bigger stronger plants not having to germ, then transplant several times. I put seeds into 3 or 4 gallon(10-12 inch) pots so I dont have to transplant for several years. My largest plant (over 5ft from the soil level) in in its second pot. A 20 inch (about 7gallon)pot. Its almost 8 years old. I will transplant this summer cuz the cheap plastic pot is starting to look bad. A large deep pot will let those roots grow with no hindrance. Thats just my opinion obviously.

geoforce thanked abrahamx