Software
Houzz Logo Print
marydaly4

backsplash help

7 years ago
The picture of the window is the backsplash in but not with any grout yet. The middle pic is how I expected it to look. And other pic shows the sample I had. It looks so much darker. My husband says the white cabinet doors and white grout will brighten it up and there are too many shadows from not having grout. Do you think he’s right? If not how expensive/hard is it to remove the backsplash??

Comments (19)

  • 7 years ago

    The white grout will do the trick. Don't worry.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    White grout should look fine, may be a bit harder to keep clean in the future. As far as how much it will cost to tear out, that would be a questions for your installer.

  • 7 years ago

    White or light grout is right here, but the tile may be darker than it was before because it absorbed moisture from the thinset underneath (if it is real marble tile) and hasn't yet dried. Be sure that they use only non-enhancing sealer, which can also darken marble.

  • 7 years ago
    The contractor did some on the peninsula wall and I feel like it distracts from the waterfall countertop of peninsula. He said to take it off would require redrywalling. Is that true? Do you think it looks silly or am I overreacting?
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    It looks great!

  • 7 years ago
    I think it will look beautiful with the white grout. Not too dark at all.
    I wasn’t aware that the marble might absorb some of the moisture from the thin set - but when I think about it - it makes sense - so the tile might lighten up a touch more.
    I agree with you about the end of the waterfall countertop. I don’t know that you would have to replace the drywall - but there would probably be some repair required to the drywall. Even if you had to replace the drywall in that area - it’s only a small piece. I would ask how much $$$ and then you will be better able to decide if it is really worth it to you.
  • 7 years ago

    I don't care for the tile on the peninsula wall...pretty tile, not necessary in that location.

  • 7 years ago

    Yes taking it off of the wall would probably damage the drywall... so what... Redoing that small area would not be that big of a deal.

  • 7 years ago

    Put your Bar stools in place and add canisters? on the counter in front of the tile. See how that looks before you tear it off the wall. Also something on the wall above the tile will distract

  • 7 years ago

    The inspiration pic also has different lighting - under cabinet lighting and the range hood lighting will make a difference as well.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I probably wouldn't have used real marble with fake marble, but it doesn't look bad. No need to rush with a decision on the peninsula. Get it grouted and finished, live with it for a few months and if you still don't like it then have it removed and the wall patched. You don't really need a backsplash in that location.

    What caught my eye, is that there seems to be a horizontal like all the way across, 11 tiles up. Is that there in person? It looks like where the sheets meet. Is the spacing wider there? That would be a problem and would be obvious even once grouted.

  • 7 years ago
    I do not like it on the island nor do you need it there.
  • 7 years ago
    I love it. Go ahead with it and live with it done. You can change it later if you need to. I think you will love it. The decisions and second guessing ourselves is so stressful. Put it into perspective and laugh and enjoy the process.
  • 7 years ago
    I had the same fear when I put a similar tile in my kitchen before the grout was in. The white grout really brightened it up and I love it now!
  • 7 years ago
    I like the tile added as it brings the two sides of the room together. Clean up should be easy vs. cleaning a painted wall. I would live with it for now as to remove now or later will be the same.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    The white grout is beautiful!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Definitely white grout. It will look amazing!

    Just don't let it darken. Clean it regularly.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I like the white grout as well! It will brighten everything up. As far as the peninsula, I would leave it. I think that it will not be so dramatic when the kitchen is done and everything is put together.