Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my_four_sons

Reeded glass for shower?

my_four_sons
5 years ago

We’re in the midst of our master bathroom remodel, and I came across an image of a beautiful reeded glass shower door. Has anyone used one? I’m assuming the inside of the glass is flat for ease of cleaning, and just the exterior is reeded. I’m not worried about privacy, but just love the look of it.

Comments (48)

• Jamie Ludwig
    5 years ago

I grew up with a reeded glass shower door. It was all the thing in mid-century modern homes. Very pretty. Yes it is flat on one side. I think it would look great in a bathroom.

my_four_sons thanked Jamie Ludwig
  • Oliviag
    5 years ago
    i, for one, love it.
    my_four_sons thanked Oliviag
  • my_four_sons
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks! I’m not sure why I was so struck by it, but I just think it’s interesting without being too different. And I’m running this tile in a vertical stack, so I thought it would be nice to echo the vertical lines.

I bought the tile and then ran across this photo of Martha Stewart’s beautiful bathroom. I thought it was so funny because it was so hard to find tile and inspiration photos in shades of dark green.

Now I just have to find an installer who works with this type of glass.

• Jamie Ludwig
    5 years ago

Most good enclosure company's should have that as a choice in glass. Please post a finished photo, I would love to see the finished product!

• my_four_sons
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, just talked the recommended glass guy. He said it will be about 3x the cost of the regular frameless glass. We’ll see what it comes out to once I get a real quote.

I wonder if people ever get multiple quotes for shower glass? I‘m wondering if that might be a good idea in this situation. My GC just gave me the name of one guy he’s used before, but it’s up to me who I use.

• Oliviag
    5 years ago
    get two other quotes. see what you find out. it can't hurt to ask.
    my_four_sons thanked Oliviag
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

reeded glass will be a bit more than plain glass, but 3x seems excessive. Custom 3/8 thick frameless shower doors for a 5' shower/tub, comes in at about 900-1300. reeded glass should only up the cost a few hundred, maybe 500 tops. (depending upon how big your enclosure is, of course)

call in a few more shower glass guys yourself and have them give you estimate.

(Cle'Tile has those glazed bricks and the Zellige in your green)

my_four_sons thanked Beth H. :
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

>>>Following>>> I would get at lest 2 more quotes for the project.

my_four_sons thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

And you don't think dust, hair product over spray. and basic body/ bath crud gets in the front "reeds"? Lol. Have fun! It also closes of the more open feel you get from clear glass. Just one of the reasons, frosted, dimpled, seeded, etc were overtaken in popularity by clear. : )

If you love it, get it!

my_four_sons thanked JAN MOYER
  • my_four_sons
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth, thanks for the advice. I think we’re looking at a 6-foot span, so I knew it would be expensive. I was preparing myself for $2k for regular glass. Don’t think I’d be up for $6k for reeded. But It’s really only an extra 500 or so, that would be great. Cheryl, I’ll definitely call around and get some more quotes.

Jan, your two points were my big negatives. I think dust would be the main culprit, which I think a good swiffering would take care of. Something to contemplate more, definitely. IAnd agreed about closing it off more than clear. We are drywalling next week — I think I’ll have a better idea of the visual then.

And for fun, adding a photo of my cabinetry. Just had them delivered. So in love with them!

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

I like the look, but -- to make it fit in -- I think it's important that you have other vertical accents elsewhere in the bathroom.

my_four_sons thanked Mrs Pete
  • my_four_sons
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Mrs Pete, yep, I’m running my tile in a vertical stack so it will be lots of vertical lines. Hopefully. Or I’ll be crying on here next month that my tiler screwed up my vision.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

The cabinetry is beautiful! I'd stay with clean bright open...............a clear glass. jmho. And a "swiffer" won't get in dusty grooves, made stickier with misty over spray; ) LOL...... or get the cleaning lady to deal with it.

• my_four_sons
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Jan. I definitely have to figure out prioritizing looks/function.

• K Laurence
    5 years ago

I love the look ... i never understood what’s so attractive about a clear view of the inside of a shower.

my_four_sons thanked K Laurence
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Clear is both fabulous looks in Starfire heavy frameless glass, and function. Not to mention bright in the shower.

• Jamie Ludwig
    5 years ago

My_four_sons. Your cabinets are WONDERFUL! That wood grain is to die for. So pretty. Can't wait to see it installed.

• Side3
    5 years ago

The Reeded glass will look fantastic! And the cabinets are gorgeous. I have rainfall pattern glass and I love it. I used to have to squeegee the clear glass after every shower- now I don’t give it a thought and it always looks great. It will add a great texture and dimension in the bathroom. Definitely get a few quotes, for some reason one glass company always gave me a better quote on small jobs, but another company always gave me better quotes on the bigger jobs- so definitely shop around. Can’t wait to see the results.

my_four_sons thanked Side3
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

I think it will look great, but as Jan said- Cleaning ugh; I had a Reeded DR fixture & after awhile I hated it because of the cleaning issue. We also went vertical with our main shower tiles.

[houzz=https://www.houzz.com/photos/new-build-gabe-phvw-vp~135362254]

[houzz=https://www.houzz.com/photos/new-build-gabe-phvw-vp~135777706]

my_four_sons thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • my_four_sons
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jamie, thanks for the real-world testimony! You give me hope ... now it might come down to $$$

• smileythecat
    5 years ago

I think it looks beautiful as well, gonna get down to money, it always does.

my_four_sons thanked smileythecat
  • Tanya
    5 years ago
    You have made some lovely choices. Please keep us posted.
    my_four_sons thanked Tanya
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

myfoursons,,,i love those vanities. where are they from? or are they custom made?

• my_four_sons
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Beth. They’re custom by an Amish cabinetmaker, The Country Workshop, in Arthur, IL. I probably drove them crazy giving them photos and talking about stain sample, but they came out exactly how I’d envisioned! They did a great job.

• Fori
    5 years ago

I like it too. I was convinced to go with clear on my remodel and regret it.

If you're putting in green tile, don't splurge on Starfire glass.

my_four_sons thanked Fori
  • my_four_sons
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Fori, I was thinking the same thing. I don’t care if there’s a green tint given the tile and paint color. Then again, not sure about glass options for the reeded glass. I’m hoping to see samples in person — headed to a glass showroom next week.

• Pam A
    5 years ago

Is that quartersawn/ riftsawn white oak? Those are so beautiful!

my_four_sons thanked Pam A
  • Pete Global
    5 years ago
    I love the reeded glass look !!!! It will be stunning ...and yes , I would get another quote or two ...and then go with the installer you feel most comfortable with ..with everything you need a god contract or understanding ..in writing ..specify everything , so that if something goes wrong ..there is no dispute . I think it will look stunning ! I wished I had it !
    my_four_sons thanked Pete Global
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Pam, the top piece in the first photo might be quartersawn but the rest isn’t. But they did a nice job with the continuous grain across the drawer fronts.

my_four_sons thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • my_four_sons
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Pam, it’s riftsawn white oak.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

This is a trick to help keep the door from showing water spots if you have hard water. Might be helpful.

my_four_sons thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

you can use Rain X or Invisiglass too. I spray it on the doors every week or two.

• my_four_sons
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ugh. So I’ve contacted 5 different shops, and it looks like reeded glass is only available in a semi-framed shower because it’s 1/4” thick. (Assuming my inspiration pic was from some super fancy glass shop that specializes in custom).

I’m going to one of the showrooms to see if I might like any of the stem-frameless options, but I doubt it.

• Amanda
    5 years ago
    Following - love your choices so far, look forward to seeing finished bathroom!
    my_four_sons thanked Amanda
  • my_four_sons
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For anyone who wanted to see finished photos, here’s my thread! I’m still sad about the reeded glass, I think it would have been a beautiful element. I could only find it in 1/4” (contacted a dozen glass shops).

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5686497/master-bath-white-oak-brass-and-green

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Do NOT be sad about that glass hon. It would have ruined the very nice look of your shower tile, and the open feel you got on the clear. Nice job. Be thrilled, not : (

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Hi just to make you feel a bit better I have pixelated glass in all my doors down a long hall and they get dirty and are a pain to clean but I still love them. They are even on my bathroom doors and provide great privacy.

• PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    4 years ago

I love it! It's very retro and coming back.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

" I could only find it in 1/4”"

Only thickness they make it in.

• vandar
    4 years ago

Following.

• User
    4 years ago

Yes, 1/4” is the only thickness of reeded. But a good custom glass shop can laminate that to standard 1/4“ tempered for the 1/2” thickness that will be able to do frameless. If you think just 3x the cost of clear is too much, wait until you get the quote for something like that!

• felizlady
    4 years ago
    I, too, love the look of receded glass. Go for it.
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Your bathroom is STUNNING without the reeded glass. I love your inspiration picture as well but look at how much light is in there. Filter or Photoshop? :P Perhaps you can get a reeded vase for your counter? Or even a reeded picture frame?

• Kasey Christman Muraoka
    2 years ago

We've gradually replaced all shower doors in the house with reeded glass. It's old school, yet less predictable than other obscured patterns. The interior is smooth for easy cleaning.

Struggling to find someone who will make the stationary wall and hinged door for 36 x 36 inch shower in the bathroom we're remodeling next. Apparently the thickness of glass required for that kind of encloser isn't made in reeded glass.

• stiley
    last year

I found this thread because the glass guys were here, ready to install our reeded glass shower door. However, it wasn't low iron and looked very green. Our builders forgot to tell us that they couldn't get low iron reeded glass that's thick enough to do a frameless shower. So I'm frantically doing internet research because I have seen pictures of frameless showers with very clear reeded glass. Does anyone know if this exists? They're telling me that I can do a framed shower using low iron reeded glass, or I can do a frameless reeded using the regular green glass. I'm also calling around to other glass companies but thought someone on here might know. I love the look!

• millworkman
    last year

Never seen nor heard of Low Iron Reeded glass being available at all.

• stiley
    last year

I know low iron is available in a thinner profile; we have that in our kitchen cabinets. I read that it might be possible to laminate low iron reeded to a thicker smooth low iron glass to achieve the clear reeded look...

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES