0
mazygirl1

backsplash - do I put it up to ceiling and on side wall?

mazygirl1
last modified: February 10, 2019

We are finally getting rid of the builder grade honey oak and white tiles!

We are updating with white shaker cabinets that go up to the ceiling and fantasy brown countertop. My question is do I put the backsplash on the side wall in last pic? Also, would you take the backsplash on sides and above window to ceiling? It's a small area so wasn't sure if it would look good. (including pic of backsplash I'm using)

Thank you!

• wilson853

The 'piano key' tile is past its prime and tends to look very busy. I would not make any decisions on backsplash until the countertops and cabinets are installed.

mazygirl1 thanked wilson853
  • alenm3

I agree with poster above. Wait until countertops and cabinets are installed to make your backsplash decision. It'll be a lot easier to visualize.

mazygirl1 thanked alenm3
  • mazygirl1

Yes you both are probably right, just trying to get all my ducks in a row. I don't love that backsplash either but my husband refuses to do subway tile and he likes this.

I'm trying to keep the tile very neutral because our counter will be busy. If you have any suggestions on backsplash please feel free to share!

• Molly D.

Post after you have the new cabinets. Beth is the ”Backsplash Queen” on here and she’ll come around and get you fixed up!

mazygirl1 thanked Molly D.
  • wilson853

Do a google image search of fantasy brown and you will find dozens of photos, most with some type of subway in various colors. A busy backsplash will compete with the countertop and the fantasy brown should be the star. You will be sabotaging yourself by installing something that is already a dated look. Tell your husband to trust you on this.

mazygirl1 thanked wilson853
    Fairway Style Living

Hi, Mazy--

Beth will have awesome thoughts. Likely since you've got white cabs going on and FB as your countertop you could opt for a warm neutral between the two that will feel connected to both but won't be the white subway that your guy's opposed to.

Question for you: what's the flooring situation in there? If staying, can you share a visual of the flooring material n the mix? Taking the walls and/or trim to a different color, too? Please share so we can get an overall look at the full palette and advise from there. More information is always better.

mazygirl1 thanked Fairway Style Living
  • barncatz

mazygirl1, there is a thread titled, I think, " Calling All Fantasy Brown Owners" you might check for backsplash inspiration, if you haven't. People have posted their counters and backsplashes. A white tile that works with your cabinets and slab does not need to be rectangular, "subway style" shaped and laid. A picket shape or a hex or...there's a million options for white tiles that would be less busy than the small tiles you posted. Here's a picket shape.

I was going to say not to tile that side wall but I'd like to see that whole wall first. If the coffeepot is there, it might be useful functionally. As for the window, my initial reaction was yes, tile that space, but it partly depends on the tile you end up with and how it would fit that space and how the cabinets are going to sit.

mazygirl1 thanked barncatz
  • alenm3

Mazy, I just googled Fantasy Brown and it is a very busy granite with a lot of movement. You don't want the backsplash to compete with the granite. Keep it neutral and simple. Check the link below for pictures of kitchens with Fantasy Brown countertops with different backsplashes- and one of the kitchens has white shaker cabinets with subway tiles all the way up to the ceiling. There's also another picture with FB countertop and the tiny little "piano keys" tiles so you can see it. It does look a bit too busy.

http://jewelsbyzahra.com/fantasy-brown-granite-countertops/

mazygirl1 thanked alenm3
  • alenm3

And I was thinking, since your husband liked the shiny glass tile, how about a subway glass tile instead of the mosaic tile?

• mazygirl1

Thanks everyone! I think I've talked my husband out of the mosaic ;} I wish he would do plain subway but I don't think he will. I just posted about the wall tile in one of the pics you have on there - my husband like it but I have no idea what it is! I am not making any final decisions until everything is in in a few weeks but want to get a couple options ready.

• alenm3

Oh good! And yes, it's best to wait and see your countertop in the space to get a better feel for what you want for backsplash.

mazygirl1 thanked alenm3
  • Irene Morresey
    Some inspiration
    mazygirl1 thanked Irene Morresey
    Beth H. :

mazy,,,it's Athens Gray. I posted it on your other post asking for an ID on the tile.

I also advised you to wait until after everything is installed before deciding on a tile.

we'll need to see how it looks in your space with your lighting and your flooring before you can really pick something that works.

Hopefully you don't have an equally busy looking floor.

Oh, and I also gave you some direction in making sure your countertop is fabricated correctly.

do you have a picture of your actual slab ? This type of stone can vary greatly.

mazygirl1 thanked Beth H. :

Keep the tile as simple as possible with that counter and I agree wait until it is all in before deciding tile. I too would like to see where that wall is that youare asking about,

• mazygirl1

Yes I'm definitely waiting until everything is, I just want a few options so I'm not spending the next year looking for backsplash haha.

I included a pic of my slab (matte finish( and a couple where you can see that little side wall better - (the wall next to the coffee pot)

. My floor is in there too (excuse my grout - cleaning after we are done, it will blend in with tile)

• mark_rachel

That stone is a STAR!! Don't let anything else compete with it. Like everyone else said, go simple. You want the backsplash to just fade into the background. There is a HUGE thread on here about FB. Look it up & you will get some ideas.

mazygirl1 thanked mark_rachel
  • mazygirl1

I do love the plain subway, but my husband can't stand it and refuses to consider it - ugh! He usually lets me do what I want but he is adamant on this. ;)

• B J Mack
    Hi, I just finished my backsplash a few months ago. I also have fantasy brown granite. It took me a year to find the tile that would give me the look I wanted. Something with a little character but not too busy. My problem was the white tiles were to white for me. This is what i chose....sorry it is subway tile.
    mazygirl1 thanked B J Mack
  • mark_rachel

You can go with a different shape, but it needs to be ONE color with matching grout. Would he go for a herringbone pattern?

mazygirl1 thanked mark_rachel
  • mazygirl1

B J Mack - I can see it taking me a year too!! that's why I want to have a few options. My husband doesn't mind subway tile - just not the plain type (which is what I would like).

• alenm3

BJMack, your tile is gorgeous!. I've been looking for a white backsplash tile that's not too stark, been looking for two years and have been unable to find it. Would you mind sharing the name of your tile? I have Colonial White countertops and think this would be perfect.- I'm sorry Mazygirl, I don't mean to hijack your thread.

• mazygirl1

I would like to know too!

Beth H. :

mazy, I put together quite a few choices. I also agree not to do a traditional subway (white) tile. But, you could do a subway in a longer size, or maybe in a herringbone pattern. Just because you have a busier type of slab, doesn't mean you have to play it safe and have 3x6 white tile. you will need to find the right tile that compliments your stone and enhances it's coloring and movement. The tile itself doesn't need to be blah. you just need to find the right match.

I like the pale blue coloring in the slab. the 3" Zellige hex tiles in Tea Ceremony is the perfect color. or play up the cooler gray tones and go with a gray.

Athens Gray is in the herringbone, Zellige farmhouse white is in the larger herringbone in the middle, top left is a dolomite clipped diamond w/gray marble dots.

in the bottom right is EncoreCeramics w/their Shadow crackle glaze. it's the perfect color for you slab. And you can get this in just about any shape or size you can imagine. long lead time, so order your sample now if you're considering this vendor.

another crackle glaze in a longer subway is Winchester in Dunwich. it's a warm gray.

more of a modern look? you can certainly do a liner bar glass tile as long as it's all one color. this taupe/gray shade is fine.

another group. top L, glass arabesque in a sage, Shadebox in white tones, 2 diff 3x12 gray tiles, BottomR, 4x4 crackle glass Frosty Morning (tilebar) I like the 4x4 offset like this. bot.L is CleTile 4x4 in a stacked using weathered white. Above that is RicePaper in the mosaic (this color comes in the other shapes)

tilebar offers 5 samples for $5. they have the crackle glaze, athens gray, and the Sage or Taupe glass tiles. I'd take a look there and get some samples.

I also put together some blue gray options. the two in the middle/lower middle are the same as this one: (color) I'd get samples of these as well.

http://www.gbtilecollections.com/tesoro-element-bevel-shadow-3-x-9-glass-tile.html

top left is tilebar, Enigma, lower right is the beveled mirror glass tiles in the blue

mazygirl1 thanked Beth H. :
  • B J Mack
    Thank you. The backsplash is San Francisco By Shaw and the color is Persidio. I’m very pleased with it.
    mazygirl1 thanked B J Mack
  • mazygirl1

Wow Beth!, this is amazing! You can really see how the different colors bring out the different tones of the slab. This is so helpful, I appreciate it all the help and advice.

• alenm3

Thank you, B J Mack. Beautiful tile and it does play very nicely with your counters.

• mazygirl1

update - This is what I went with for the backsplash, grout not dry yet

• Cheryl Hannebauer

Great choice, thanks for the photo update .

mazygirl1 thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • Pam A

That is lovely - what is it? I love how it has cool tan/brown tones in it - it looks like the perfect balance between warm & cool for your counters and cabinets.

mazygirl1 thanked Pam A
  • mazygirl1

Thank you! It’s porcelain tile from Emil Ceramica - eterna avorio 3x12

• HereWeGoAgain (Z9)
    So much better. Looks wonderful.
    mazygirl1 thanked HereWeGoAgain (Z9)
  • alenm3

Great pick, very nice!

mazygirl1 thanked alenm3