0

FOTESS March: Spring Equinox Celebration Swap

PaperFinch

Happy Spring Everyone!

The Spring Equinox (also called the March Equinox or Vernal Equinox) falls on Wednesday, March 20, 2019. This event marks the astronomical first day of Spring in the Northern Hemisphere. It signals new beginnings and nature’s renewal in the Northern Hemisphere. Many Cultures celebrate spring festivals, like Easter and Passover. This month, enjoy some fun Spring equinox facts, folklore, photo contest, and more!

For this swap, please include:

1. 3 bulbs/divisions (bulbs, rhizomes, tubers, divisions, etc.): Spring Equinox is a time of rebirth.
Nothing epitomizes this more than the humble “bulb,” which blooms in the spring, gradually dies off, only to be reborn again the following spring.

2. 3 packs of seeds for spring planting. These can be spring garden veggies, flowers, or anything with a renewal/rebirth theme
(Radishes, greens, Hens & Chicks, “early” varieties, etc).

3. 3 random spring goodies: anything edible or non-edible that reminds you of spring. Ideas may include candy, chocolate, garden gloves, note pads, pencils, markers, individually wrapped tea bags, etc. Make sure to pad things adequately if something might break.

Sign up by the 5th and I will assign partners. Don't forget to message me 15 BINGO Words if you wish to play. Please mail your package by the 20th, the day of the Spring Equinox.

We’ll also have a Spring photo contest! A picture taken between now and March 20th.

Post your prettiest, funniest, or most inspirational spring related picture by the 20th.

Message me your vote by the 27th. I’ll post the winner on the 28th.

FOTESS requires that you be a member in order to swap with this group. FOTESS stands for Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps. For more information about membership contact Jeanne (sandlapper_rose) or Lisa (PaperFinch).

• PaperFinch

Spring Equinox BINGO (Pick 15 and message them to me by the 5th):

Awaken

Beginnings

Birds

Blooms

Buds

Celebrate

Change

Chicks

Cleaning

Climate

Crocus

Cultures

Eggs

Equinox

Fertility

Flowers

Forsythia

Fresh

Friends

Fun

Garden

Grow

Hyacinth

March

Rain

Rebirth

Renewal

Springtime

Sprout

Sun

Sunlight

Thaw

Tulip

Warmth

Worms

• nottougly

This sounds like fun. Please sign me up.

Faye!

• nottougly

One sentence it was 15 bingo words the other sentence you said 10?

PaperFinch thanked nottougly
  • PaperFinch

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. I'll edit that. It's 15 words, please! :)

Thanks,

Lisa

• beth_b_kodiak

In hopes that the weather cooperates and it is possible to walk in my yard, sometime in the next few weeks, I'll join. This has been a wet and icy winter so far and it shows no signs of quitting soon. This definately sounds like a fun swap

• brittneysgran

Lisa please sign me up.

• jdmom78_8a

i really want to do the swap. i had said to my self that i would do all of the swaps this year but we will be traveling soon for spring break and with all the prep i don't think i can get everything done in time. i also don't have bulbs to send... i don't think... for future reference, can these bulbs be bought? if so, where does one get them?

• PaperFinch
    For future reference, these can definitely be bought if needed! I get bulbs from Lowe's/Home Depot sometimes.
  • l1oness

I will join in this month. This should be fun! No Bingo for me this month though.

• sandlapper_rose

This sounds like a wonderful swap. I have some medical issues that I'm dealing with right now and lots of company coming in towards the end of the month so I'm going to have to skip this one. Thanks for being the hostess, Lisa. I'll check in at least a couple of times a week.

Jeanne

PaperFinch thanked sandlapper_rose
  • smitties

I'm going to have to pass this month. Hope you all have fun. Margo

• sandlapper_rose

We have a new member to welcome to the group. Tom has joined our group. Welcome!

Here on Houzz he is listed as tom jones.

• PaperFinch

Welcome, Tom! So glad to have you here!

-Lisa

• nottougly

Welcome Tom

• faerygardener

Well, I’m out as it is not legal for divisions to be sent into California (or bulbs without CA photosanitary certificates) and I wouldn’t risk the possible damage the illegal trading could do. https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/transport_animals_plants.html

Wanted to pop in and THANK HEIDI for the wonderful & generous packet of cards she sent. She put Fotess on the envelope, so thought I’d share the thank you here. They are beautiful. Love all that embossing.

• ruthz

Count me in this month.

For me 3 random goodies is fine.

I also received some beautiful handmade cards from Heidi. Thank you so much Heidi.

• brittneysgran

Heidi what a wonderful surprise to receive the handmade cards that are so beautiful. Thank you for making my day!

• PaperFinch

Good morning everyone!

It was sooo cold on my way to take my daughter to preschool (26 here in Nashville), but so sunny and ... SURPRISE! The crocus are blooming! We also noticed that the peach trees are getting pretty pink buds on them already. Spring is nearly here!

I've always wanted to try my hand at growing saffron crocus and use it more in cooking. I may order some next year. Have any of you grown this variety?

Did you know?

According to Farmer's Almanac, blooming crocus are the cue to plant radishes, parsnips, and spinach!

• Beth Brownberry

Lisa, you should be in the exchange too! One section can be three way or the whole thing a chain/circle or whatever. Also reminder, New members need to send first

PaperFinch thanked Beth Brownberry
  • PaperFinch

Thank you, Beth! Yup, this is my first time hosting a swap, so please bear with me, lol. I'll do my very best for you all. Let's do this:

l1oness sends to PaperFinch

PaperFinch sends to beth_b_kodiak

beth_b_kodiak sends to nottoughly

nottoughly sends to ruthz

ruthz sends to brittneysgran

brittneysgran sends to l1oness

Sound good? Can't wait! :)

• PaperFinch

BINGO word for today is "Grow."

• beth_b_kodiak

Sounds good!!!! Yes, I'm in MO now and it feels permanent. I'm working at a job I really like. Goodies for my yard and or garden will be a treat!!!!

Happy Spring, whenever it gets here

• PaperFinch

Beth, that's awesome! I JUST accepted a job working as an interior designer and the people there seem really wonderful. It makes such a difference to work at a job that makes you come home happy at the end of the day.

Can't wait to see what fun goodies everyone thinks of!

• Melinda Hagen

This sounds like a great zwap! I will be passing this month as not been feeling so well! Enjoy!

PaperFinch thanked Melinda Hagen
  • beth_b_kodiak

Melinda, sorry you are not feeling better. Hope a change in the weather helps.

Miss You

• PaperFinch

Good morning everyone!

Fun Fact: For
    the first time in nearly 40 years, the equinox will occur on the same day as
    March’s “Full Worm Moon.” The last time that these two events landed on the
    same date was on March 20, 1981. Worms begin to emerge around this time each
    year.

BINGO word for today is: "Sprout"

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska

Question: Lupine Advice? I love Lupine, but I can't get them to grow. I have tried seeds for 5 years. I have bought a few plants and they come back the second year, but they don't bloom. I love the look and I love Foxglove, but Foxglove is an annual. Anybody have any great suggestions?

Hey, is there a Worm Moon twerk dance that goes with the equinox? Do the worm! Wiggle wiggle! Heidi

• PaperFinch

Heidi, I've never grown lupines but always wanted to. I absolutely love foxglove. Here's what I found from American Meadows:

"Lupine seeds can be planted in very early spring, but tend to do better if planted in late spring and allowed to overwinter, blooming in the following spring like foxgloves. They have a very tough seed coat, and it’s a good idea to either soak seeds for 24-48 hours, or roughen them between two sheets of sandpaper before planting. Cover lightly with soil (1/8”) and tamp down the seeds well – making sure they make good soil to seed contact. Water in, and if the weather is dry, water lightly until germination which can take up to 10 days."

Haha! Pretty sure me trying to do the worm would end up just looking like I'm having a seizure, lol.

• ruthz

Heidi, within 6 weeks or so the road banks, fields and pastures will be blue with Lupinus texensis, the Texas bluebonnet or Texas lupine. I tried and tried them in my yard and never have any luck. I think I have too much shade.

I used to try growing foxglove also with no luck. Finally gave up.

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio

Heidi, Thank you for the beautiful home made cards and envelopes. I love them!

• PaperFinch

Hello, y'all. I hope you've had a wonderful weekend. I was ill Friday and Saturday with some nausea/dizziness issues, and it's taken me a bit to recover fully. Today I was out working in the chicken coop and prepping flower beds. So much good work to do already! We've got so much popping out of the ground right now. Daffodils are in full bloom, hostas are creeping back, and bulbs I had totally forgotten about are making themselves known. With that, our BINGO words for the past days are "Thaw," "Blooms" and "Beginnings."

Anyone else seeing signs of life returning to the gardens? Hope you are all doing well.

-Lisa

• ruthz

Good morning.

Sorry you weren't feeling good.

I weeded a little Saturday. A few things are popping out here. Most of my daylilies and a few asiatic lilies are starting to peek thru. Money plant and larkspur are up. My few daffodils are not doing good. They were starting to bloom, then the week of freezing temps put a damper on that. None of my seeds are coming up yet.

• beth_b_kodiak

Not much happening here yet. Heavy thunderstorms and a couple days of winds. Quite a mess right now

• l1oness

Windy and rainy here today, possible snow again tomorrow. Working on my package - I hope to have it out on Monday. Happy Pi Day!

• sandlapper_rose

Sorry I haven't stopped in sooner. I had surgery Wednesday morning. It's to make a diagnosis so the doctors are waiting for the results to come back. Just 2 days later and I'm feeling almost back to normal. I'm restricted from lifting, bending, exercise, etc. I really would like to be doing things so it's hard to just try to rest and recover.

Melinda, keeping you in my prayers and hope you feel better soon.

I can tell I was kind of out of it - I totally forgot it was Pi Day yesterday.

Lisa and Beth, good news about your finding jobs that you like. That makes all the difference. And Lisa, you are doing a wonderful job as hostess this month.

I hope everyone has a great St. Patrick's Day! It's one of my favorite days and my husband shopped for our corned beet and cabbage, etc. so Sunday will be a delicious day.

I'll try to check in again before the end of the month.

PaperFinch thanked sandlapper_rose
  • Beth Brownberry

Finally!!! SUNSHINE, Yippeee! Still breezy but not like it has been. This change has sure lifted my spirits. Hope by another couple days I'll be able to walk without hearing squish squish squish with every step. So much to do including getting a package together for this swap. Also received 20 seedling trees that I ordered back in December from the State Nursery. So, busy days coming up. Spring must be around the corner

• PaperFinch

Good morning lovely swappers!

It's sunny and in the 50's here in Nashville today. We're hoping to take the kids and the dog hiking this afternoon. Sorry I haven't been more active. I just had my first full week at my new job, and I love it. It's work that challenges me and leaves me exhausted at the end of the day, but in a good way.

I have been busy hand-drawing cards and gathering stuff for the swap. I should also clarify that indoor plant cuttings/divisions are totally okay for those of you who are still frozen, lol. I have some succulent divisions that I'll definitely be sharing.

BINGO words for now include:

Celebrate

Cultures

Rebirth

Birds

Worms

• PaperFinch

Today's fun fact:

Birds are migrating North, along the path of the Sun. Did
    you know? The increasing sunlight is what triggers birds to sing? Cool, eh?

• brittneysgran

Lisa-So good to hear you are better. Sure hate to hear anyone is not up to par. Good news on your job.

Jeanne-Also, good to hear your surgery went well. Just in time for Spring planting and beautiful Summer blooms.

Melinda-Thinking of you today, blessings Dear Friend.

Beth-Good news on your job too. I always loved a job where I had plenty to do and the day flew by. Boring job and each day seemed like two days.

• brittneysgran

Love all the different varieties of helleborus. They love the cold.

• Beth Brownberry

Great photos Shirley. Love my Hellebores too. Foliage on mine took a beating but Blooms look good.

Last night we went to an event at school withe the boys. As we were walking out, just at dusk,

the birds were still singing. Another favorite sign of Spring,

• l1oness

Lisa - your package is in the mail!