0

What color to paint fireplace?

Jessica Wulff

We are remodeling our basement. We have a propane fireplace that needs to be painted. It doesn't go well with the other furniture. I would also take any suggestions on rearrangements of furniture.

RL Relocation LLC

OK, my first question is, do you really need to keep it? if so paint it the wall color, its not really a feature to your otherwise lovely room.

• Jessica Wulff
    Unfortunately, it's the only source of heat in the basement so we need to keep it. I never thought of painting it the same color as the wall. That might just work :) Thank you for the feedback
  • renjean
    If you have to keep it, I’d actually paint it white to go with the moldings and the white frames in the back. It would look clean and belong, in my opinion
  • Kathleen Kirchoff
    You can get a poly and stain mixture to glaze that wood to a darker hue to match other furniture. Minwax polyshades or Rustoleum stain and polyurathane.
    Or paint it another color in your design, match the wall or trim.
  • Jora

Paint it white or tile it (MOP shells). I'd get rid of the bulky bar chairs, and get something more sleek!

Flo Mangan
    I like your bar countertop. I would pick up that color. Looks like a nice deep gray? Then add a bright orange accent wall to bring a fun color into fun space.
    Flo Mangan
    Or at least find some fun colorful posters for that long wall. Maybe a set of 3.
    Flo Mangan
    A bit of color.
  • rinq

The pale grey walls and white don't really go with the furniture. So if possible, paint all trim and fireplace surround a warm slate, like the bar counter, for example.

RL Relocation LLC

Im just not sure you want the FP to be a focal point. I still say paint it the wall color if nothing else its at base coat.

• partim

If you paint it, try to remove the decoration at the front.

• lefty47

HI -- Look at the wall mounted flat fireplaces that are electric and have heat . That one you have is horrible and does not fit the room properly and just looks wrong and cheap in that corner . I have one that is what I mentioned and we use it all the time . If you get one do not get anything that is angled into a corner and do not put it where it is now .

1625 DB

I would paint it the same color as the wall if your intent is to minimize the size. If you want to accentuate it, but just lose the golden honey color, then I would go with white.

Flo Mangan

Actually, the eye sees white and light colors first and darker colors last so darker paint on the fireplace would be better for diminishing the look. I know that is surprising but it is true. It would also tie in with the bar countertop.