Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_griffith38

which wall sconces

Rachel Griffith
4 years ago

Which wall sconces with which mirrors? Originally, I was planning to use the taller, polished chrome wallchieres with the smaller white mirrors, but now I think I like them with the larger mirrors (which are a warm metal called “champagne silver”). I will comment a picture of the selections for our master bath with each fixture shown. The smaller white mirrors will be over smaller vanity areas in our girls’ bathroom. That bathroom has white cabinets, gray quartz countertops, and brushed nickel hardware and fixtures.

Comments (41)

• Rachel Griffith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Master bathroom selections

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Need photos of bathroom. Sconces have base plates so wall spacing is critical. Also, for master bath, you need sconces with better illumination. What is size of mirror and wall space? The bigger mirror? White one doesn’t look big enough for master bath.

• PRO
    Timeless Wrought Iron
    4 years ago

Not crazy about the longer chrome sconces with either mirror. Love the smaller square sconce with the master bath mirror, they match quite well but i would be concerned that they will not be sufficient enough for that type of room especially for applying makeup. The white mirrors are adorable for your girls bathroom but need a smaller chrome sconce than the one you have. Just my thoughts, good luck!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Tube 3 Light Wall Sconce in Honey Gold with Etched Opal glass · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

1 Light Sconce · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

George Kovacs P5042-L Saber Ii ing, Honey Gold · More Info

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago

To me, the mirrors are trying to be traditional, and I wouldn't put the contemporary/modern looking sconces with them. Based on the other items you've chosen, I think you need a different mirror, perhaps a rectange shape.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Love this Mirror, but the sconce selection will have to come much closer in finish IMO. Also a translucent shade will provide better lighting in your bathroom rather than the bare bulb

• Brown Dog
    4 years ago

I like the taller mirror rather than the squat white mirror (white mirror looks a lot smaller). The sconces you've chosen are nice but I find the finishes don't match the mirror. I would either try to match the mirror finish or go completely different like matte black or burnished bronze. There are so many options out there, maybe you should continue the search?

• Rachel Griffith
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Thanks all! The larger mirrors are for the master. I’m going to try to take some pictures tomorrow in the actual bathrooms (no faucets or cabinet hardware yet, though). Would it make a difference to anyone if I painted the master mirror frames white (to match trim) instead of the gold tone? I love the shape and we got a great deal - so I wouldn’t mind painting them. Just a thought. There is a frosted shade available for the chrome sconces, so I may eventually buy those. Our electrician couldn’t say enough how he despised sconce lighting alone in bathrooms so we also have recessed lighting (hopefully far enough behind the vanity that it won’t create a funky shadow). I may totally regret all of this
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Layered lighting is a must in a bathroom. Recessed lighting creates shadows if it is behind you overhead, and sconce lighting can be perfect if the right type. One bulb sconces don't give off enough light. I don't think you should paint that frame. It is the best part of the mirror. You don't have to match your trim, in fact better that you don't. Just find sconces that have similar look of mirror frame. They are out there.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

If you really want the chrome, you can use some metallic paint and give the mirror frame some light touches of more silver look.

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

Paint the gold mirrors? Please don't they will look cheap. They are nice as is. Why do you want to match the trim? There is going to be plenty of white trim bring in the different element of the metal. The third sconce Flo posted would look beautiful or maybe you prefer one of these?

Amherst 1 Light Wall Sconce in Aged Brass · More Info

Suzanne Kasler Camille Sconce, Hand-Rubbed Antique Brass · More Info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

If you want to stick with silver, here are some options.

All from Wayfair

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

The second mirror Beverly posted is my all time favorite mirror and it looks gorgeous installed.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Is that the mirror either you or Nidnay used in the master bathrooms? It is fantastic. I sure would love it.

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

Flo Nidnay got to keep hers and use it! Because the builder made my vanity two inches smaller than planned I had to return mine because it was too large. I am still in mourning. It is still my favorite! Maybe I should have kept it and put it in my office instead of the gold framed mirror.........wait a cotton pickin minute........That mirror new art and Kelly green, I could be on to something ....."evil laugh"

• tatts
    4 years ago

Neither of those sconces for a bathroom. And they should be higher on the wall. ;-)

You want bright, soft, diffuse light in a bathroom--it's first and foremost a workspace, where you prepare yourself for the day and check your teeth and makeup, etc. You do not want to be staring into bare light bulbs.

Use frosted globes set at face height.

• Rachel Griffith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your input! Okay, so no to painting the mirror. The sconces are what they are - electrician is coming to install on Monday. I’ve emailed the manufacturers about options for ordering frosted glass shades (I know the chrome sconces have that option...not sure about the others).

So... the mirrors. I really love these mirrors (bigger ones), and we got them so cheap. I do like the idea of getting some metallic paint to lighten them up a bit, but I think they are reading more gold in the picture than they actually are. I think any gold/brass fixtures aren’t going to look right either. They are actually pretty close in finish to a couple that you shared @beverly. So, if changing sconces isn’t an option, should I return the mirrors and have the builder put up a standard, rectangular mirror? Framed or not? This will actual cost us more than what we paid for the other mirrors.

• Rachel Griffith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pictures in the actual spaces (the angles aren’t ideal because my husband didn’t want his reflection in the mirror, ha!). You can see how the master mirror finish isn’t quite as gold as it looked in the other pictures. I think I’m leaning toward the polished chrome with the white mirrors and the smaller square ones in the master bathroom with the taller mirrors. Since the chrome sconces are pretty large for those small white mirrors, I may eventually replace those mirrors with larger, rectangular ones if there is enough space.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

If you keep the mirror, you will need to rub and buff it with some silver to go with silver bases of sconces. I don't like either of those sconces with the countertop or base. You have room (but no junction boxes?) beside the mirror for something really cool.

Eternity Wall Sconce · More Info

• Rachel Griffith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@flo, I like those that you shared? Do you have a link for purchase? There’s definitely space! I’m guessing the electrician just ran the rough wiring since we weren’t yet sure exactly where the final fixtures would be placed.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

The Eternity is from Houzz. Just click on the "more info" and you will get details. Might be out of your price range. Here are a couple more. I would go with the aged/champagne gold tones and a frosted glass shade if possible.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

You need to verify the electrician has wire behind the sheetrock. Otherwise, it will be pricey to get wires to that location at this stage.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Here are a few more to consider. I tried to find ones that were under $200 with a few others thrown in in case you can splurge a little!

Amherst 1 Light Wall Sconce, Aged Brass Finish, White Faux Silk · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

The Amherst has a silk shade so might show wear in time, but styling and price is great.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Savoy House 9-302-1-322 Monroe 1 Light Sconce · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Savoy House 9-800-2-322 Payton 2 Light Sconce · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Jennings 1-Light Wall Sconce Aged Brass White Linen Shade · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I can get your my Houzz Trade Program discount of another 5% for Houzz products if you choose any from Houzz. Just email me at manganflo@gmail.com and I can get my rep to email you code.

• User
    4 years ago

I like your mirror in pic one. Not liking light choices with it. Flo has shown some great options

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

Please ditch the white mirror. The scale and color are just not working with everything else in your space and you will be doing a great disservice to what you are trying to create by using it. The Currey and Company fixture is awesome and would be fantastic with all your elements however As will all Currey and company pieces the price is steep. Here are a few more that could work.

• Rachel Griffith
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>@pinkpeony ... as much as I want to deny it, I think you are right about the white mirrors
  • Rachel Griffith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There was more to that comment that didn’t come through for some reason...

Instead of the white mirrors, I think I’ll have the builder do their standard rectangular mirrors and probably won’t have them frame them. We are doing a cool and $$ backsplash that should probably be the star of the show.

@flo I think I will stick with the sconces and try to make the mirror more silver (I know this isn’t your ideal situation...). How would you recommend making the mirror more silver? Any great techniques?

• Rachel Griffith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And I’m not sure about the wiring, but the electrician has charged us for double wiring on each vanity for sconces instead of a single rough in for lighting above the mirror... so if he doesn’t have wires there, then that’s on him.

• PRO
    CK Hoffman Design
    4 years ago

Option #1 seems the best to me!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

You can try Rub and Buff in a soft silver. But i would find a mirror that works with the sconce you like. Going silver is fine with your countertop and vanity but with either of those sconces your mirror needs more piazza in my mind. I will show you what I mean. Bbl

• Rachel Griffith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just watched a YouTube video about Rub and Buff. Where has this been my whole life??! I have so many ideas for projects now!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Rachael. Here is mirror with bevels and some curves to add some interest to your bathroom. I added some bling to ceiling fixture that might reflect into mirror and chrome faucet set. This would work much better than fixed up gold mirror. Especially with your vanity and countertop. Ignore pink wall reflection in mirror. That’s just from photo I cropped. Hope this helps you visualize how with some pizazz in the mirror you can use the linger sconce you have. Perhaps that gold mirror could be utilized in your entry or some other spot in your new home. It pretty, but doesn’t quite work with the chrome and cool direction of the sconces etc.

• Tina Moore
    4 years ago

I don’t like the white mirror at all. Too little IMO. Love the other one just not with either of the sconces you have. Keep looking.