Software
Houzz Logo Print
allalit70

powder room mini remodel

7 years ago

I’m in a middle of mini remodel of our powder room. Can’t decide on a mirror. Round or rectangular? Please help! Thank you

Comments (59)

  • 7 years ago

    If I will go with rectangular, will it visually create a large rectangle on a right side and left side imbalanced? Or is it in my head? :)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Good observation that’s why I suggested an irregular shape. It will distract the eye from the alignment issues.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, I’ll take a look at that one and see if anything else pops up.

  • 7 years ago

    Have you tried positioning this light upside down?

  • 7 years ago

    No, what would I achieve hanging it upside down?

  • 7 years ago

    The reason I’m asking is because it’s a big sconce and turning it upside down to me, wouldn’t look so big and once you purchase the mirror you will get a lot reflective light into the powder room.

  • 7 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>The shade is open on both sides( top and bottom) light equally distributed from both. It does create some interesting lines on that wall. Maybe that should be my inspiration for a mirror
  • 7 years ago

    1

  • 7 years ago

    2

  • 7 years ago

    My favorite:)))

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I like it! How wide is it?

  • 7 years ago

    Too big for my face :)))

  • 7 years ago

    No, but seriously, Flo, do you like 1st or 2nd?

  • 7 years ago

    Totally unexpected!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Haha! Slipped one in on me! Clever girl. I liked the hexagon beveled shape. I like the Decalb too but I suspect it is too wide. How wide is the hexagon? You need to stay around 18-20" wide. The light fixture is a odd size for that space. It looks cramped into the corner? Maybe it's just the angle of the photo? I would have to have that or any light centered over the sink. It's all about the details.

  • 7 years ago

    Dekalb- 23x25
    Hexagon-24.75 x 24.75

  • 7 years ago

    Light fixture is centered over the sink. It’s 21”, sink 25”

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    If you try to use a 24" mirror, the space over the sink will not look right


    I cannot tell from your photo what various finishes you have in this room so I just selected a distressed bronzey finish for the mirror frame.

    • chrome on the toilet
    • brass on the door
    • bronze on the faucet
    • clueless on the light fixture, which doesn't appear to allow enough light for the room


  • 7 years ago

    Yes, chrome on a toilet ( no other options were available at local HD)
    Faucet-warm bronze
    Light- aged bronze
    Door knob - will be aged bronze
    There is also can light overhead

  • 7 years ago

    Your faucet is so different from the style of the sink and from the style of the light. I feel like you need something special and eclectic that can bring all of these styles and finishes together. Not sure what that is, but cookie cutter isn't going to cut it.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    As BeverlyFLADeziner suggested, for sure you need something either over the toilet(artwork, shelves), or on the wall that is adjacent to it - so that there's a better balance.

  • 7 years ago

    Hi Alaska D, yes understand equal amount of light but do you see Flo’s mock up if the sconce is upside it will hit the mirror that way the light will bounce around the walls. Are you planning on placing wallpaper on your walls?

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, Claire. I was thinking about wall paper originally, but changed my mind. With two kids, I know they’ll find a corner to peel:))
    Ones I’ll find that perfect mirror I can flip the light to see if it makes any difference.
    I actually feel there is too much light, and was thinking to change lightbulbs to lower W.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    If you flip the light fixture, it could hit the mirror so flip it first and measure. I think Claire makes a good point about flipping it. It looks too high as it is.

  • 7 years ago

    I’m not sure if I like it that low...

  • 7 years ago

    Full view

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I tried this. But I don’t particularly like this fixture flipped. Doesn’t look good.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Can you change this light fixture out?

  • 7 years ago

    Yes. What would be your suggestion on a light fixture

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I don't see the issue with a large horizontal rectangular mirror across the whole wall. You could add a second sconce for the left side too.

  • 7 years ago

    Will you be able to bring it a little higher?

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Geez, don't flip the light fixture!!! If it's only the powder room, it's fine. I'm assuming you have tried various bulbs???

  • 7 years ago

    Yes, I’ve tried 40 yellow and 60 white. I really don’t have a problem with the amount of light in that room. Unfortunately when I try to take a pic, camera focuses too much on a light and makes everything darker then it is

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I hope you mean LED or CFL bulbs. No sense paying too much for energy.

  • 7 years ago

    Of course! I don’t even know if they still sell the other ones

  • 7 years ago

    If anyone has pics/ links of the mirrors that would go in that room, please post here. I’ve been to so many stores and millions of sites and can’t put my finger on anything. My hb likes the round one that I bought and it does fill the space nicely, but, I think it’s more of mid century and that shade of wood just all wrong

    Here are the dimensions
    Sink-25,
    Light-21

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I have company for dinner right now, but I think you can do way better on the lighting and mirror. So hang in there!

  • 7 years ago

    I agree with Flo

  • 7 years ago

    This is a powder room--just like millions of powder rooms all over the country--a toilet and a pedestal sink in a tiny room.

    There are 10,000 pictures of powder rooms just like this on the web. Do some research yourself. Every possible combination has already been tried; people do this every weekend on their own.

    It's just a mirror; exchange it if you don't like it. Really simple.

    But don't even think of flipping that light fixture. The bulbs will be blasting right in guests' eyes and that shade is designed to be above the base, not hanging down.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Tatts! I thought this is where I ask for help and suggestions, not be sent away to do some searching on my own.

    I have researched many sites, including this one before posting it. The most common solution is to hang beveled rectangular mirror just like you said, million other houses. Obviously that didn’t work for me if I’m here

  • 7 years ago

    @ Alaska D, I keep staring at your photo, and your light fixture doesn’t look perfectly centered over the sink. It seems closer to the wall than midline.


    Perhaps it’s a function of the sconce mount projecting into the room or something, and you took the picture from the center of the room? Does it feel on center when you’re in the room?


    i like the sconce itself, there’s just something unsettling there in the photo.

  • 7 years ago

    ^^ and as for your question about a mirror, I think rectangular works with the lines of the sconce and sink, with some zig-zagging as suggested above to keep things from getting TOO linear.

  • 7 years ago

    I liked that zigzagging mirror but it’s too big. I’m going to try and retake the pic standing in front of the sink not the room

  • 7 years ago

    I should add that I’m renovating my second 1920’s Craftsman, and I get WAY too obsessed with what I consider clean lines, right angles, and no Victorian tulip glass shades, so please maintain a healthy skepticism when I shy away from curves! :-)

  • 7 years ago


    Portola Drive Rehabilitation · More Info


    Aldridge Burnside Kitchen/Powder/Living · More Info


    Steep Hollow Road · More Info


    The Kingfisher · More Info


    Powder Rooms & Small Bath Ideas · More Info


  • 7 years ago

    I had no idea how difficult it is to take a simple pic. Here are some, from above, below and in front. Is it still seem to be to close to the corner?

  • 7 years ago

    I guess my problem is that I’m leaning towards a round mirror, because I had oval before ( tired of it) and rectangular seem to be very straight line...I do like hexagon, that adds some interesting dimensions. I might try that

  • 7 years ago

    https://www.houzz.com/products/22x36-harmony-frameless-mirror-with-polished-beveled-edges-prvw-vr~97624074

    Just put 22”,mirror in Houzz shopping and got a whole lot of cute ideas. Above is NOT a plain rectangle or oval. Plus, there are a lot of small ones suggested below it.

    I understand your frustration. Hang in. There has to be a small mirror out there that will work. Try researching 22” mirrors here first.

  • 7 years ago

    For fun try Urbanoutfitters.com