Software
Houzz Logo Print
dmottley

How can I make this homes exterior more appealing?

7 years ago



My wife and I are closing on this home soon. the inside is absolutely beautiful, but I’m not to crazy about the stone facade and landscaping.


We plan to take down the ivy, because of the potential damage it could cause to the exterior of the home and I found an older picture online of the home without the ivy.


I like the idea of replacing the stone for wood, but im not sure. Please HELP!!!



The top picture with the blue door is how the home currently looks, below that is how the home used to look and the final picture is inspiration.

Comments (21)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thank you for your honesty . I’m so torn.. what do you think about painting the stone as an option?

  • 7 years ago

    Remove the ivy first and then reassess. I would not paint the stone. I think the light blue door is the wrong color for your house. I’d live there for a while before making major changes. You’ll get other helpful suggestions on this site.

    D Mottley thanked flopsycat1
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    It's a Tudor......................it has gables and dormers. Those are not typical details for a contemporary home. It's a really lovely home. If you don't want a Tudor then purchase a different style home. Changing this to something else is $$$ and likely not worth it in this market.


    There are plenty of ivy covered homes and Pros and Cons to this style

    https://www.theglampad.com/2017/04/truth-behind-ivy-covered-houses.html




    Keep looking if you want something more like these below. They have distinctive rooflines that are flatter and lower.





    D Mottley thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    The door color from the before photo was beautiful. The blue one not so much, so I would change that. Remove the ivy and cut the shrubs. I can't really see what shrubs or trees you have there..They should not block the facade. Overall, the house is beautiful

    D Mottley thanked printesa
  • 7 years ago

    If you don’t like a Tudor, don’t buy it. It’s not fair to the house if you try to make it something that it’s not.

    A fun-colored door is fine, just needs to be the right color.

    D Mottley thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago


    Thank you for your comment!! I like the Tudor style. I think it’s the bulky stone that’s throwing me off. Maybe a different type stone like this.

  • 7 years ago

    When I looked at your first picture and post "what can I do to make this more appealing," I thought, "nothing, it's completely charming as it is." Then I see that what you don't like are the things that make it so charming. I even like the blue door. The stone is tasteful and so much more attractive than many applications on new homes these days. The landscaping could be cleaned up a bit, but it also adds to the charming cottage/storeybook look. I'm sorry you don't love it, as is. Someone would be thrilled to have this house.

  • 7 years ago

    dont get me wrong I love the charm of the home, maybe it is just The landscaping that needs updating and I’ll see things differentl.

  • 7 years ago

    Painting the stone is a bad idea. I don’t think the blue door looks good with the other colors; changing the color is an easy fix.

  • 7 years ago

    I like it too .... maybe without the blue door ....

    D Mottley thanked aegis1000
  • 7 years ago

    Oh my word your home is spectacular! I agree with the others: if you don’t like the style, choose something else. I hope once you move in, if you move in, that you will realize the character in your home is much more special than a home that anyone can achieve with a “new build.”

    Appreciate the beauty of a bygone era when quality and character mattered in a home. Many of the new builds will be dead and gone and your home will still be standing.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Landscaping definitely need updating and definition. As it is, everything seems to be nebulously running into everything else. For example, at each side of the entrance area are what look like they are trying to be small tree forms ... but there is no canopy shape or separation from shrubs below.

    For analyzing the foundation planting, you need pictures that are taken about 50% closer to the house so that things can be seen well. Provide a full panorama taken from a central (in line with door) single camera position. Pan from far left to far right, taking slightly overlapping pictures. Include background space that is beyond the ends of the house.

    No way would I change the stone to wood as in your inspiration picture. It is not a match. Is the stone in bad shape? I don't see the problem with it.

    D Mottley thanked Yardvaark
  • 7 years ago

    Tudors very often have stone. I think it looks good. The wood will look odd.

    D Mottley thanked partim
  • 7 years ago

    Another vote to not change the house into something it's not. FWIW, The lighting between the top two pics is very different. The top pic almost looks like someone was playing around with settings, like color saturation or something, so it's hard to assess what's really going on. Aside from the blue front door and removing those two trees from the middle of the yard, what else has changed? They didn't repaint the trim a different shade of brown, right?

  • 7 years ago

    I absolutely LOVE the stone and in the photo without the blue door think this house is pretty dreamy. It 100% suits the architecture of the house. Stone, wood and metal look stunning together if done right, it would be an absolute shame to paint that stone.

    D Mottley thanked Nicole R Dsp
  • 7 years ago

    IMO the white stone is jarring, it just looks wrong. Suggest you get a mason's opinion on whether it can be stained to better compliment this beautiful Tudor.

    D Mottley thanked chiflipper
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Since the white is not really white, but a color like limestone or concrete, I am inclined to think it is not the problem. There should be some effort for creating emphasis and contrast, especially in regard to featuring the entrance. Too much homogeny starts reading like a government project. The house is painted with lots of dark, gloomy colors, which I find not too appealing. If they were altered, the contrast between the stone and they, need not be so pronounced. And the overall direction could go from gloomy toward cheery.

  • 7 years ago

    My wife thing we should go with a chocolate brown for the trim of the house and change the stone to something flatter

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    That is just stating a position ... not making a case that justifies why the position is either valid, or good.

    For changing colors, you'd be well served to analyze color options on one of the apps made available by the various paint companies, on their websites. However, it takes a good clear picture for those to be useful. The above pics would not work well and you'd need new ones.

    D Mottley thanked Yardvaark
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    D Mottley thanked BeverlyFLADeziner