lunarocket34

August 2019 - How is Your Home Build Going?

Buzz Solo

I couldn't find a new thread so I figured I'd start one. How is everyone doing this month? DH and I are plugging along with our self-built Barn-House. Looking forward to seeing this month's progress for everyone. Here's my progress as of this afternoon.

• K H

Lou im calling you out! What size of columns did you go with? And how big wide and tall your porch header?

• Pinebaron

Finally got the family room bar shelves installed on Friday and put up a few bottles of booze on. Also done are large mirrors in the powder room and master bath plus master bath shower glass panels although the shower door will be a couple of weeks. I’ll put up master bath pics when complete.

Buzz Solo thanked Pinebaron
  • NYCish

@pinebaron we don’t know you but my husband says he’ll be moving in to your house next week. Haha his exact words “now THAT is a home bar”

Buzz Solo thanked NYCish
  • NewEnglandgal

Pinebaron a FEW bottles lol It looks really nice!

Buzz Solo thanked NewEnglandgal
  • Nat Mc

A few more pics with better lighting.

Buzz Solo thanked Nat Mc
  • Buzz Solo thanked Nat Mc
  • Nat Mc

Also cracking up at “a few bottles”

Pinebaron:)

NEG fingers crossed that your new home is ready by the time you have to be out of the old one!

• Pinebaron

NYCish| LOL.

NewEngandGal and Nat Mc, honestly it’s just a few bottles

• Lori Wagerman_Walker

Pinebaron, while (I think I've said this before) we have complete opposite style, I have loved seeing your home come together. It is beautiful. I also have to applaud someone else who put a bar in their main living area. I caught some flack when building ours, but we know ourselves and what we'll use. Now everyone that sees it loves it. :)

The "few" bottles are very well done!

Buzz Solo thanked Lori Wagerman_Walker
  • K H

We don’t have very many bottles because they go as quickly as they come in lol! Love your build Pinebaron

• NewEnglandgal

KH bahahahhaa building a house will do that to ya!

Nat Mc hour kitchen looks great. Is that backsplash I see already?

Painter should be finished tomorrow. Tiler started today-yay!
    Backsplash officially chosen.
    BM Quiet Moments in main areas-was not finished when I took pictures this morning. I saw it late this afternoon all done-LOVE IT!

Queen bed guest bedroom. Bed is creamy white. My first time ever using a dark paint color!

Kid's twin bedroom. Finally found a nice aqua color thanks to another Houzz poster who suggested it. BM Wispering Spring.

Master- BM Silver Grey

Backsplash tile. The hexagon will be in a frame over the cooktop. Picket will be on rest of backsplash in a vertical pattern.

Colors muted in picture below. Not using the big hex tiles with the glass tile.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker

Beautiful NEG!!!!

• K H

Perfect!

• Fsal

Pretty colors @NEG. excited to see how that dark room turns out! So brave!!!

• localeater

NEG looks great, love all the colors. I can’t wait to see how you decorate the bedrooms, there are a lot of sumptuous rugs and curtains I could imagine in that guest room, you are going to have some serious fun.

Confession - you are making me seriously jealous. I need to be out of my current house 5 days before you and you are definitely ahead of me. Dang! You are convincing me that my family will be executing move plan ‘B’. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

On the bright side, ds2 is all ready to go. Purged his bedroom, packed for Uni, packed stuff he is moving to new house and hauled lots of stuff to dump and goodwill. I even managed to get him to do his Spanish placement test. Now to figure out if that cough is walking pneumonia or not...

• NewEnglandgal

local oh my gosh you need to get that checked out! I hope you feel better. I am always amazed how many people get sick during the summer. Take care of yourself and get some rest. I know that is easier said than done with all you have going on.

Thanks for the compliments. I hope you do not need to go to plan B. How much further behind are you? If your subs can get everything done you should be ok. You need one bathroom functional to get the CO!

I am still waiting for my finish guy to get my mantle; he has been talking about it for months. DH is texting him today. He moved on to another job while the painters were in. They finish today and we need the stone mason to get the fireplace done before the hardwoods can go in. They will be delivered tomorrow. I got engineered 7" planks.

I still have lots of electrical, plumbing and HVAC to finish up.....and all those "little" things. I am hoping the master bath vanity gets put in this week so we can call the fabricator back to do both bathrooms and the laundry room. The tiler has to put in the master bathroom floor before the finish guy can put the vanity in.

I wonder to myself if I will be bored once I am in. I am assuming not as there will be plenty more to do.

Get yourself to the doctor and get better!

Buzz Solo thanked NewEnglandgal
  • Pinebaron

Lori: Thanks for your compliments. In our design and architecture style, given that we had complete freedom of designing and building absolutely anything (to code of course), we strived to design the home to provide a stunning and almost dramatic impact no matter where you look at the home from inside or outside; right from the entry, foyer, family room, kitchen, bar, appliances, corridor‘s width, bedrooms, bathrooms, laundry, mudroom, garages, shop, etc etc. all the while not ignoring practical aspects of our style and design. We started with the practical aspect then figured out how to make it look amazing. Literally thousands of hours spent in 3-D design before and during the build. There is absolutely nothing and I mean it, absolutely nothing we would have done different and absolutely nothing in our wish list that’s missing. The price? Displacing over four years of our lives.

Buzz Solo thanked Pinebaron
  • Lori Wagerman_Walker

Pb - you done good! ;)

• Akila McConnell

The roof is going on! We are literally waiting on 3 windows (see bottom left) that have been back ordered and it is SO frustrating because the siding can't be finished and the inspections can't be done until those 3 windows come in. The builder thinks they are supposed to come in this week, so keeping my fingers crossed. (For some reason, I'm not able to add photos. Will have to figure out how later.)

Buzz Solo thanked Akila McConnell
  • Pinebaron

So much progress everyone! Great!

NewEnglandGal you are making amazing strides in your build; almost there for sure.

Akila: all be fine once it’s done!

Nat Mc: looking good for sure!

KH: you’re build seems to be coming along

Buzz Solo: Hats off to you and your DH.Amazing job! That’s all I can say! I know it’s great satisfaction when you do it yourselves.

Wysmama: Loving your progress and pics; you must be so happy to be in.

NYCish: wishing you the best and pray your builder gets you in ASAP.

KH, Nat Mc and anyone else visiting the PNW, come down anytime; we will definitely need assistance with consumption since we barely drink however enjoy entertaining

Buzz Solo thanked Pinebaron
  • Kate E

Loving seeing all your pics and progress!!

We officially have landscapers here today getting started! So ready to have a yard- and just happy that we’re finally starting.

Our fridge (Maytag side by side) never quite worked, and after the same issue occurred for the 3rd time - we just got a total replacement. New fridge arrived today- fingers crossed that we just had a lemon and don’t experience any issues with this one!

• NewEnglandgal

Pinebaron your hours of work show on your magnificent home. It is stunning.

Kate I know that feeling of waiting for something so everything else can be done. Be prepared for this with subs. As my husband told me early on in the build "It will be a hurry up and wait for a lot of this build." Hope the windows come in quickly so you continue with progress.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker

"Hurry up & wait." Nailed it.

I say this a lot! :)

Buzz Solo thanked Lori Wagerman_Walker
  • Kate E

Yep- that about sums up building a home!! Landscaper uncovered a couple of underground wasps nests - I researched online and there are specific types of wasps and yellow jackets that live underground, also called cicada killers. (Which is kind of good because cicadas eat trees, right?)

I read about how to kill them - but I can’t help but wonder if we should leave them be and let nature take its course. Sounds like they don’t typically sting people unless you’re poking at their nest. But we are laying sod down... so not sure if they would die off anyway or not.

We are in southeastern WI. Anyone have any experience with these guys?!

Buzz Solo thanked Kate E
  • Pinebaron

Wasps seem to be pests even here in the PNW. They were making lots of tiny nests in the black painted eves above the east facing deck while it had temporary and partial decking above pressure treated framing. I ended up spraying wasp sprays just to get by while I was laying new decking a couple of weeks ago. Soon as the decking was laid, I noticed an almost complete stop of them building their nests in the eves. I still don’t understand the relation between pressure treated deck framing and wasps and why they virtually disappeared after I laid composite decking.

Back in the early nineties when we were still living in the UK, I was stung several times when I accidentally stepped on a bees nest buried in a stack of soil and leaves on the ground. I later discovered the bees were an aggressive variety of French bees. It did not help that I don’t speak French else I could have pleaded my way out of being stung by them

• Kate E

Ha! Too bad you couldn’t talk those French bees out of stinging you! :)

If we were laying deck or anything down besides sod I wouldn’t be as concerned- but with just sod I think they’ll live fine and eventually come up again. I am thinking about calling a local pest control company and asking some questions. I don’t want to make this job more complicated - but I also don’t want to have underground wasps in the middle of our front yard for the next 20 years either!

• localeater

Kate, This article says they nest mostly in bare soil I wonder if once your landscaping is done your yard will be unattractive to them and they will just leave. Do you have a local cooperative extension you can call? They are always so helpful where I live.

https://www.mcall.com/business/real-estate/mc-fea-yellow-jackets-wasps-hornets-20170908-story.html

• NYCish

Our counters were installed in the master bath. The plumbers are working their way through the two units installing all of the fixtures. Hopefully next week I’ll have some pics of them installed!!
    The kids tub niche was installed. I had forgotten we had one in there so that was a nice surprise
    The window paper was also taken down from the lower level street facing room (will be the playroom) so it is so nice to have more light!
    Painters are doing lots of prep work. They also installed all of the floating shelving in the kitchen. We also found out we have an extra foot to work with in our basement walk out door so we are going to install a 6’ wide slider down there after we close (it’s only 5’ currently). It is the only source of light in the basement, and while not cheap, I think will be worth the $$. When we went into contract on this place, the builder had already installed the slider (the first developer actually passed away during the early phases of this project. He also made some questionable design choices. Rip).

• Lori Wagerman_Walker

Kate, I work for the county extension office in our area. Cicada killers are not usually a problem. However, definitely call your local extension office to clarify.

NYCish - nice niche! :)

^^^Sorry had to do it.

I love seeing everyone's progress! Buzzsolo, how's yours going?

And just in case anyone else is as nosy as I am, I try to keep this ideabook updated with pictures: Our Field of Dreams

Buzz Solo thanked Lori Wagerman_Walker
  • Kathy

Akila, we waited TWO MONTHS for windows, so when yours come in, be very happy that you didn't have to wait that long.

WE PASSED FRAMING INSPECTION TODAY!!! YIPPEE! It has been 5 months since framing started, but unfortunately it's not completely done. Drywall guy came and marked all over the place where the framers either need to put studs or smooth out bowed studs. Hopefully the framers will be back soon.

Plumbing rough-in inspection is tomorrow and we're gearing up for masonry and siding on the outside of the house as well as fireplace installation within the next week.

Buzz Solo thanked Kathy
  • NewEnglandgal

NYCish I love your countertop! The niche is nice too (see what I did there?)

Lori love your rainbow and flower pictures. I have seen some of the others previously.

Kathy so happy your passed inspection. Even though there is a bit to do at least things are moving in the right direction. Great news!

• Lou Myers

@KH my columns are 12 inch. The original plan was for 8 inch so the header was built based on the 8. When I advised builder that 8 would be too small, he beefed up the header for the 12 but he could only beef it up so much at that point which is why I have the “nesting boxes” on the interior of the porch (see pic). Crazy as it seems, this “mistake” is one of my favorite things!

Buzz Solo thanked Lou Myers
  • Akila McConnell

Kathy, ugh! That's so frustrating! Well, about a month ago, when we did the framing walkthrough with our builders, my husband and I pointed to this one area and said, "Don't we need a steel beam here? It seems like there's too much weight on it." Builder said that the structural engineer thought no steel beam was necessary. Yesterday, when they were trying to put in a sliding door on that spot, the installers discovered that the floor was slightly sagging . . . . and, unsurprisingly, we need a steel beam or, at minimum, steel between the LDLs. We are SO annoyed because this should have been handled a month ago and now this pushes everything back. At least it was caught early and we're not having structural issues 15 years from now. I feel like every day in the build process, I just keep trying to think positive.

Buzz Solo thanked Akila McConnell
  • Akila McConnell

Here's the front of the house as of yesterday.

Buzz Solo thanked Akila McConnell
  • K H

Thanks Lou I love the corrected beam! would you share where you got your lanterns? I really like them! Do you know what material they used to wrap the beam? As you can see they are building the box beam now!

Buzz Solo thanked K H
  • Lou Myers

@KH the lights are made by Progress Lighting and the design is Cadence. They have several sizes. It appears they just changed the design over to a clear glass so if you search online, you may be able to pick up some of the frosted glass design on clearance. When I bought mine in February I remember I did get each one from different retailers. Our beam is wrapped in a hardie board trim. Your home is looking beautiful and coming along quickly!

@NEG ❤️❤️❤️ ur colors!

• Kathy

Akila we also had structural issues, which is why 5 months after framing started we just yesterday had the framing inspection. Very frustrating and I can definitely sympathize with you.

• Kirsten E.

@Lou - I thought the nesting boxes were a design feature; definitely a happy accident!

• NewEnglandgal

Thank you Lou!

• K H

Thank you Lou! Do you mind sharing size too? It is so hard to visualize online. I saw they come in 16.25" height and 21.25" and a 32" (which the 32" would be too big)!

• Lori Wagerman_Walker

Love that porch Lou!!

• Kate E

Lou - I want to live on your front porch!! :)

• Kathy

Hey! I finally have something pretty to post. Front door was stained today. LOVE IT!!!

Buzz Solo thanked Kathy
  • localeater

Kathy that looks lovely!

• NYCish

@kathy door looks great!

• NewEnglandgal

Kathy the doors are gorgeous and the steps are nice too!

• Buzz Solo

@ Lori Wagerman_Walker

Hi Lori, today we finished the left side wall, the bedroom/bathroom wing.

Here's what it looks like from the inside.

And here I am doing my best attempt as game show prize presenter.

Next we will start the garage door wall and then the bit of house over the garage roof. When the replacement window comes in we'll be able to finish the corner on the back of the hosue. I do believe we will really get dried in this year. (I sure hope I haven't just jinxed us!

@Pinebaron

Thanks Pinebaron. It really is true, but dang, it seems to be taking forever and we aren't getting any younger! lol

• K H

Buzz, wow! It looks fantastic, I love your color and all of your pretty windows.

Kathy, what stain color did you choose? I really like your double arched doors!

• Lou Myers

@KH I went with the large lanterns (32”). It’s really hard to tell the scale of that porch from the pics but my front door is 8 feet tall and my house sits off the road about 500 feet so I really needed big lanterns so they didn’t get lost. It took months of hunting to find lanterns that size that wouldn’t blow my budget. I was VERY lucky to end up finding them on clearance for under $200 combined. I just started shopping by size and narrowed it down from there.

Thank you all for the porch compliments. I must admit it’s been the most fun of the build thus far for me. Truly unexpected as originally we just stuck a porch on for aesthetics and now it’s become our favorite feature.

• Lou Myers

@Kathy your door is phenomenal!!!!

@Buzz I feel like I keep telling you how much I love that blue, but I REALLY REALLY ❤️ that blue!!!!! We are also doing a lot of our project ourselves so I understand how you feel with your energy level not keeping pace with ur ambition. Just keep chipping away at it. Like a river cutting thru a mountain we just keep moving.