Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lunarocket34

September 2019 - How is Your Home Build Going?

Okay, Guess I'll start another one.

Let us know how your build is going, show photos, ask questions, have fun. Here's our house as of today. Another piece of wall steel on the garage door wall and I put up a bunch of soffits, not visible in this photo. (they're on the main house roof that is on top of the garage. Getting kind of stuck until a few pieces we need are delivered. Hope that happens soon.

Comments (263)

• Lou Myers
    4 years ago

Old barn torn down

• NewEnglandgal
    4 years ago

Wow Lou you have a lot going on. Are you going to build another barn?

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked NewEnglandgal
  • Lou Myers
    4 years ago

We put up a new barn as our first project here almost 3 years ago. We will not be adding an additional barn (at least that is today’s plan). We will be adding a detached garage at some point in 2020. We say we aren’t going to have livestock, but I keep telling DH how nice a longhorn would look in the front yard LOL!

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked Lou Myers
  • Lori Wagerman_Walker
    4 years ago

Longhorns (& horses) always look good in the front yard, Lou!! :)

NEG... you're home is beautiful! I bet you're getting excited! I mean I am, for you lol

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked Lori Wagerman_Walker
  • The_Lane_Duo
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Beautiful home @Lou Myers

Loving some of your finishes @NewEnglandgal Move in day is soooo close! Jealous! lol

-----

We met with the Plumber & Framer this morning. Framer popped the lines, first round of lumber & trusses ordered, & been on the phone getting a portable toilet scheduled for delivery. (nearly forgot that one!) Framing is supposed to start on Friday. Starting a few days later than I hoped but that is okay. Things are still rolling. I hate when a day goes by that *something* wasn't accomplished on the build site. I like to see daily progress! Not always feasible, obviously. lol!

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked The_Lane_Duo
  • wysmama
    4 years ago

NEG- so excited for you!

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked wysmama
  • NewEnglandgal
    4 years ago

wysmama thanks! It feels like i go to this house to visit but I'm never going to live there. Even though I have been packing it just doesn't feel real ya know?

Junk I used to feel that way when I would see the job site sitting empty of workers but tried to learn to shrug it off. It will happen again and again. People show up on their time. Get ready for things to not go quite as planned and to have to come up with other options. Stuff happens unfortunately. My husband says the cellar floor has cracks in it. He's not happy but has to figure out what to do. We had planned on epoxying the floor. *sigh* We also found my double oven is missing the bottom plate (cover for under both ovens). It always seems to be something and I am assuming this will happen right up until moving day (and probably beyond).

• localeater
    4 years ago

@NewEnglandGal - your day will come. And you will actually be living there, and you will be so at peace.

We are moved in now and I cant tell you how happy I am. I love the new house so much. All the apprehension I had about the move is gone, I am just glad. I love that it is smaller, I love that they yard is smaller. I worried we would feel to on top of one another but its all just right.

My kitchen is still missing a few doors, but I love the way it turned out. @Buzz the cabinets are SW Forestwood. My backsplash makes me smile constantly and it even got accolades from my two college age sons who are snarky and sarcastic by nature.(God love 'em)

I love how the trees are so omnipresent from every window. Here is the great room; there is a bit of shopping to do for this space. We plan to replace the sofa, LR chairs and I would really like new dining chairs too. Of course, we need rugs, and blinds.

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked localeater
  • NewEnglandgal
    4 years ago

localeater I too LOVE your tile! It is so refreshing to not see white subway! No offense to those who have it, it is just nice to see something so different colorful!

local not sure if you felt overwhelming stress the last few weeks but I sure am.

Floor guys did not show last night. The floor needs to be done by Saturday because the finish guy is trying to get baseboard on for painter coming Saturday. They told us it would be 4 days. They started last Friday, did a no show all weekend and were not going to come on Monday but felt bad so came down (said they were sick).

My husband thinks something is up, maybe drugs? I just want it DONE...but done right at the same time. I am not going to the house till Sunday. I cant deal with the stress. Tiler ran out of grout for master shower so husband has to run and get that (yet we have 4 boxes left of shower floor tile). Yup just want this to end. We both say we would never do this again but I am 56 and he is 62. Too old for this sh**! haha

• localeater
    4 years ago

Yes NEgal, it can be enormously stressful. My only advice is to just roll with it.

In 2001 - 2004 I had enormously stressful period in my life. Gave birth, Baby got sepsis, had to have a spinal tap. Got better, then 9/11. Not knowing where half my family was, losing friends, I was on maternity leave and sitting in bed nursing when I saw the plane hit where I knew so many. Going to all those funerals. Felt like things were better, baby who is now a toddler gets sick. No one can tell me what is wrong. Finally a diagnosis- not good. It was a very very hard few years.

I am a control freak, and I finally learned I can control some things but not all things. I learned to 'give it all to god'. I am not a religious person but I am a person of faith, and so I keep the faith. Now when I am stressed I just hand it off to the universe. It has kept me sane.

Instead of worrying about what wont be done, look at what is done. Be thankful. Kiss your hubby, and hold his hand. The build will be over, it will have cost more then you wanted, it will have taken longer than you planned, but you will always have each other.

• Trish Walter
    4 years ago

localeater. love your backsplash.

everyone's home is lovely.

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked Trish Walter
  • Lori Wagerman_Walker
    4 years ago

Well said @localeater :)

@NewEnglandgal I feel your pain too! I was an absolute mess the last 6 weeks of ours. They literally finished our base boards & other loose ends the morning of closing. I still have a piece of base board that isn't nailed lol

We've gotten some random "honey dos" done around the place the last couple weekends. (New pictures posted in my idea book.) Our Field of Dreams

Lights on the bridge!

Flag pole up!

Hay in the barn. ;)

POWER to the new garage!

Whoop :)

Taking the time to appreciate beautiful sunrises ... priceless.

Waiting to see how harvest goes after this, the weirdest weather year ever. Hoping to be able to pay for the concrete apron for the garage and "the final piece of the puzzle" from the sidewalk to the bridge.

Everyone keep the faith!

• localeater
    4 years ago

Lori please keep us posted on your bridge project it is so lovely. Hope you have an abundant harvest. What are you harvesting?

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    4 years ago

We personally farm about 200 acres of corn & soybeans, along with my father in law they have about 900 total this year. It's getting harder and harder to be a small farm. We've had bigger dogs come in & take about 300 acres in the last couple years. Small rural community, everyone knows everyone & who farms what. However, the almighty dollar still wins. (I might be a touch bitter.)

Sometimes people make it hard to keep the faith.

Thank you for the kind thoughts, I have no idea what the outcome will be. All we can do is pray. :)

• NewEnglandgal
    4 years ago

local thanks for the wise words. I was actually thinking exactly what you said, how blessed I am and how when all this is said and done everything will be fine. I have my moments.

I'm so sorry you have had such difficult and heartbreaking times. I can't imagine how hard that had to be. Most times I do count my blessings and give it to God but once in awhile I allow it to consume me and bother me. I am back on track and feeling blessed and thankful. Thanks for putting things in perspective for me.

Lori I have so much respect for anyone framing. So much hard work and harder and harder to make a living. I will be keeping you in my prayers for a good harvest and no other "bigger dogs" to come in and make your life harder by taking land. I also am eager to see the new bridge. Glad the other things are getting done slowly but surely.

• kayce03
    4 years ago

Lou Myers - I am envious of your mature trees.

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked kayce03
  • Lori Wagerman_Walker
    4 years ago

I am having the worst time with houzz & pictures lately. I had a whole post typed, added a picture & poof!!

So........anywho. Thanks NEG for the prayers. It's appreciated!

The bridge is done. Has been for several years.

Our Field of Dreams · More Info

Our Field of Dreams · More Info

The LIGHTS are new!!!

They are actually what I'd envisioned from the beginning but it took going through multiple strands of fairy lights, rope light I hated, carrying flashlights, and lots of subliminal messages to get it to be hubby's idea. THEN it got done lol

We have a shelter house & fire pit across the bridge. Light is a necessity after several adult beverages, even though the bridge is HUGE. 96' L x 6' W. We can also drive the ATV's across it. :)

• NewEnglandgal
    4 years ago

Beautiful Lori! Your place sounds like an oasis to me!

• Buzz Solo in northeast MI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

localeater, love your cabinet color and your backsplash, they are the BOMB!

Nothing much happening at our build as it's either too windy or too rainy and we need more screws of the CORRECT color, supposedly arriving tomorrow. Plus I had an accident with a power screwdriver and my teeth 2 days ago (don't ask, it was a stupid accident) so emergency trip to the dentist. I will always remember though how expensive that one piece of rake trim on the house was. Teeth seem to be fixed and fine now, btw.

So today we had a little firewood delivered. I convinced Hal that we have too much to do and winter is practically here for him to start trying to cut enough wood for winter. Twenty pulp cords of seasoned oak. What we don't use this year we will use next year. Who knows, maybe the outdoor wood boiler for the new house will be installed by then. (HA!)

• K H
    4 years ago

Everyone's builds look great! Localeater such a beautiful house and view! Insulation guys came and prepped today. I finished staining/sealing porch ceiling wood. Electricity hooked up now and electric rough in done. Still working on ripping out the antique staircase. I got the hand rails off and the riser trim pieces off. Now for the treads, let's just say home building back in the 1800s they built them to last! It has been a chore but will be worth it. Still no exterior doors. I ordered them in June prefinished Masonite doors. Very frustrating...

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked K H
  • ghatta
    4 years ago

10 months later and we finally got the concrete pad for the garage service door in back. Nothing as exciting as someone else’s bling in the kitchen though. And it’s like pulling teeth to get them out to finish the punch list. Congrats to all who have moved in and hang in there to all still in progress. It will be worth it.

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked ghatta
  • Pinebaron
    4 years ago

Great work everyone. Ive been busy working and have not provided any updates here. The master bath shower glass, some 10’ plus wide is all in and the factory sealed 1/2” tempered glass is a charm and does not stain at all with zero cleaning. Installed two sets of three led spot lights with a dimmer to provide a light glow to the family room bar shelves; I do however need to get the tall ladder out again to somewhat readjust the spots. Below is a view from one end of the kitchen area.

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked Pinebaron
  • NewEnglandgal
    4 years ago

KH those stairs sound like they were probably once lovely. Things built back in the day were built so well and made to last, you are correct. I wish you luck getting the rest torn out. Think of the muscles you will have!

ghatta it is the small things sometimes that bring us joy. Anything accomplished is a win.

pinebaron nice to see you. Your home looks beautiful. You must be so happy to be in and have pretty much everything done.

Appliances are coming today. 7 days till move in.

• localeater
    4 years ago

Ghatta - isnt it amazing how something like a concrete pad is so meaningful. One step closer to the builder out of your hair, one fewer time your foot will sink into a bog of mud, I totally get it.

NEGal - hang in there you are so close. Check for door stops or hinge restrictors, we moved in and several of the doors needed them. My builder popped over yesterday and put them on.

Today our solar panels get installed. Yesterday they finished the patio.

• K H
    4 years ago

All cherrywood 50 spindles including the newel post and they notched out the opposite side stringer for each tread it is unbelievable the time that would take!

Ghatta would love to see the rest of your finished home. Funny what something as simple as a back stoop does to add to a comfortable home!

Local that is beautiful patio work!

Negal what kind of appliances did you order?

Original Author
    4 years ago

Localeater. pretty patio.

ghatta, it's a fine looking concrete pad!

K H, pretty spindles and I hope your doors come really soon!

pinebaron your home is beautiful, wish I had that many windows in my living room! Alas, Hal (DH) said, no.

NEgal, 7 days! I hope you make it. You must be getting antsy.

Too windy with rain on and off today so another no roofing day, so close to being dried in! It's frustrating. No rain tomorrow and a little less wind. Same on Sunday. I hope we can get it done though it's mostly Hal. I'm just there to hand him stuff and call 911 if needed. He has a safety harness and rope though so hopefully I'll just be bored. ;-)

ETA: I do have more laminate samples coming today, including possibilities for the bathrooms. That will amuse me for a little while.

ETA: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the screws won't get here till Monday now!! ^&%%#$%&** i AM A TRIFLE PO'D.

• localeater
    4 years ago

That’s a gorgeous staircase!

• NewEnglandgal
    4 years ago

KH that staircase is really beautiful. wow!
    I ordered my appliances on President's Day and Bosch was on sale if you bought 3 or more. Bosch french door refrigerator, induction cooktop and dishwasher. jenn air double oven (floor model on sale) and Sharp microwave drawer.

• Laura M
    4 years ago

House colors and elevations passed the architectural review board today! Next step, getting the lot cleared

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked Laura M
  • ghatta
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>KH. Just s few.
  • ghatta
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Guess it didn’t work. Too many pictures I guess.
  • ghatta
    4 years ago

KH

• K H
    4 years ago

@ghatta I love all of your dark wood! You have to share your island stone brand color! Beautiful! Thanks guys for the compliments on the staircase I thought it was worth saving it too. Newenglandgal guess I’ll have to see what’s on sale!

• NYCish
    4 years ago

Our countertops were finally unveiled (aka they cleaned off the crap that was piled up on them). The island is huge...so much larger than we have now. It will for sure be the hub of our home (it is also filthy; so while it is "sueded" it doesn't look that gross in real life)

The took down the plywood surround in front of the house (they have been shielding where they dumped all of the construction debris). It is strange to see the entire building when one walks up now! They are finishing the front, the refinished original iron-work will be delivered next week and installed

The av guys were back; they installed the comelit buzzer system, all of the speakers (we are doing multi zone sonos in the majority of the house and outside), got the cameras hooked up and running

I finally had a chance to get the plumber to explain the indirect hot water tank, the NTI boiler which fills it (and also runs hot water to our high velocity unico system). I think our mechanical room looks like a nuclear reactor. It’s a bit imposing

The electricians still need to come back and do a final pass of installing fixtures. The hvac guy is waiting on him too, as well as the plumber. I’m just over here dying a slow death from the wait

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked NYCish
  • ghatta
    4 years ago

Thank you KH. It is medium dark walnut. The island is unwaxed barroca soapstone and I love it. Here is a picture of the cabinet I planned the whole kitchen around. I am a baker and wanted to have a larder cabinet. Had to explain to both the builder and cabinet maker what I wanted. Lol And a picture of my slab.

• NewEnglandgal
    4 years ago

ghatta I love the pictures you had taken with the snow in the background outside. So beautiful! Still remember them. Your entire home is stunning!

• ghatta
    4 years ago

Thank you NEG! We love it. It isn’t real fancy but we aren’t formal people. Our lot is 6 acres of virgin hardwoods and we love it here. Serious serious sticker shock for what it cost to get it ready for a house though. Here are a couple of pictures of my land in Spring, Summer and Fall.

• NewEnglandgal
    4 years ago

Wow you have a beautiful piece of property! Love the different look in each season. Formal is stuffy. A warm home you feel comfortable is what matters and your home gives off that warm vibe.

• K H
    4 years ago

Gorgeous! To both NYCish and Ghatta! Newenglandgal cant wait to see what everything looks like when you move in!

• K H
    4 years ago

Well we got the handrail out! DH had to use the chainsaw to get out the newel post! Werent able to get the treads but hopefully our carpenter can recreate them. The stringer closest to the wall had hand notched each tread and nailed from the opposite side! We would have to sawza the whole wall to get out the treads lol!

• The_Lane_Duo
    4 years ago

More progress this past week! Started framing finally. Yay!

• NewEnglandgal
    4 years ago

Wow KH that had to be backbreaking work!

Junk Can't wait to see how your house looks on the outside as the work progresses!

• Kathy
    4 years ago

Ghatta- beautiful!

Junk- How exciting!!!

Our drywall is finished, siding almost finished. Trim, tile, septic, and garage door are all scheduled for later in the week. Things are starting to go quickly for us now...finally!

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked Kathy
  • kayce03
    4 years ago

NYCish - gorgeous! How big is your island? I think ours might be around the same size.

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked kayce03
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Last day of September, we were hoping to be dried in, oh well. At least the proper color screws finally arrived today. We did manage to do a little trim work the last few days. It's driving me nuts though that we haven't been able to work on the ridge cap!

I busted a front tooth getting this next one up the other day. Not a good day, lol.

Got some pieces up on the north wall today. Friday will be our next shot to do more. Getting chilly up here, too.

• NYCish
    4 years ago

@kayce03 51”x117” The other end isn’t a waterfall

• The_Lane_Duo
    4 years ago

@NYCish I can't wait to see your full kitchen. I've never seen a one sided waterfall island, I bet it looks awesome!

• The_Lane_Duo
    4 years ago

The downstairs is taking shape!

• NewEnglandgal
    4 years ago

NYCish I somehow missed your post! Your kitchen is so pretty and that island is big! Are you getting excited while waiting a slow death? lol I am trying ti imagine your nuclear system but that kinda stuff befuddles me. The iron work will complete everything outside. Looking really good!

Buzz chipping your tooth now? be careful up there girl, that wind will blow you away!

Junk looks like it is going up fast!

Kathy so happy things are getting done now. Getting so exciting for you I bet.

I started the October Build Thread- https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5797658/october-2019-build-a-new-home

• NYCish
    4 years ago

@The_Lane_Duo haha I haven't either! our designer likes the layout for conversation, she has done it in one or two of her other projects..we can apparently fit 6 stools around the island (4 on the side and 2 on the end but 2 might be crowded); I just like that someone can sidle up to the end of the island comfortably. Our front entry faces the waterfall side.

your framing looks great! exciting!