Software
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_cho

string of hearts issues

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

my STRING OF HEARTS seems to be growing well, but the leaves are curling. my plant is in a terra cotta pot under a grow light and i water it when it dries out, probably every 5 to 7 days. it seems very healthy otherwise and has grown tremendously since i purchased it, but i dont know why the leaves are curling. is it humidity or something else? maybe the air conditioning? any advice would be much appreciated. thank you!

Comments (6)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Pls show us a pic. Sometimes their leaves have a natural curve to them, so it's hard to picture what you mean.

    I think perhaps thirst? These would do better in plastic pots 'cause the terra cotta draws moisture from the soil. I use small plastic pots which sit over pebble trays & water thoroughly when I do water.

    I wouldn't grow these under lights. Do you have any windows you could place next to?

    Jenn Cho thanked Karen S. (7b, NYC)
  • 7 years ago

    Must be the air conditioning. I have this plant and it is under direct sun and I water like never, maybe once every 3 weeks

    Jenn Cho thanked Mike the Fiddle Leaf Fig Guy
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for your replies. Ive ruled out the terra cotta pot and grow light as whats causing the issue because originally I had it in a plastic hanging pot near a northern skylight and the leaves had started to curl. I thought repotting it into a terra cotta and installing the light might help, but nothing changed. Its growing fast, but the leaves are just curled. My variegated string of hearts, string of bananas, and string of pearls are doing fine under the same light. I am assuming air conditioning is causing the issue for now... if anyone else has other advice please let me know! Below are photos.




  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Hi Jenn,

    Thanks for your pic, your set up is lovely, they look charming.

    That said, I don't see a problem, tho' I do see the curved leaves on an otherwise healthy & happy looking plant. I doubt anything would 'cause' it, certainly not the kind of pot. I don't think it's the AC either. I grow mine about 12" away from an AC & it couldn't care less.

    The lights seem far enough away so as not to burn them, so that seems fine.

    I think those leaves just want to be curly, I don't think it's abnormal reaction, rather the plant is just changing. It doesn't look spotty or irregular in its curved leaves, looks very natural. I'm sorry if you don't like the look but I don't think it's ill.

    The fact that you have the variegate of this & it's fine tells me your conditions are fine for it. I found the variegate Ceropegia woodii (string of hearts) much fussier & have killed it several times. I really love the variegate of this, esp when it has the pink highlights on the white.

    Slow down there Mike, she & I are growing indoors, while you apparently are not. Doesn't really compare.





    Am trying to show you that some of my leaves are curved.

    I doubt it's thirst as that might make the leaves slightly wrinkly tho' I am tempted to suggest you try a pebble tray & see if that changes anything.

    But bottom line, I wouldn't be concerned about it unless the plant starts looking bad like discoloring, or looking limp & listless.

    Jenn Cho thanked Karen S. (7b, NYC)
  • 7 years ago

    Well, actually needs more light... looking at both of your plants/

    A proper grown healthy one will have thicker leaves(twice as that), with a red/pink tint on the back..,.

    Mine also curve, but they are concave.

    Jenn Cho thanked Stefan
Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert