Software
Houzz Logo Print
pippiep

Converting base cabinets to drawers?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Leaving our perfect-for-us remodeled kitchen.

New house has a brand new kitchen... with NO base drawers! (Other than cutlery drawers.) I don't get it... don't ALL kitchen designers at this point know to put in drawers?? I'm baffled. We have yet to move in, and I hope to find out the cabinet brand to see if we can convert to drawers. The cabinets don't reach the ceiling, either. I thought that was pretty standard these days? We will have about half the space we have now...

Have you converted bottom cabinets to drawers somehow, and are you happy with it? What kind of system did you use?

The kitchen is STUNNING, though, and has a gorgeous La Cornue Cornufe! I guess pretty was the highest priority? There's also no microwave spot, no servo drive trash or even pull-out trash cabinet (definitely going to figure out how to add this), and a stunning but less-than-useful bridge faucet which will be replaced with a pull-down as soon as we get in there. I can't show any full photos yet, because they don't belong to us. But I cropped one a bit.



Comments (18)

  • 7 years ago

    That looks great, thanks! Sadly, my husband had to get rid of most of his workshop for this move (no room), so we won't be able to make our own drawers. Good to know you can get them from Barker! I hadn't thought of just getting drawers without a whole cabinet.

  • 7 years ago

    I think those of us on Houzz know about drawers, but we are still a small minority of the population! If you have never lived with all drawers, you would probably never think of it and just design a kitchen similar to the ones you have lived in.

    If this was a new house, many of them might use a designer, but most don't use a kitchen designer. I also know (and have known) many builders whose wives are the designers and some are way better than others!

    The main reason you will see doors, is simple, it is all about them costing less.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    When I was in search of a KD was amazed to see how many had few to no drawer base cabs in their showroom, and did not even mention drawers as an option. Perhaps they all missed that class in KD school.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    The kitchen was all about spending money a showy range to catch your attention— but not one dime to do anything else to that same level. That kept the budget down. I think you’ll likely find that those cabinets may not be worth rebuilding. Go slow. You may get to another renovation beyond what you’re thinking right now.

  • 7 years ago

    The whole house was gut-renovated this year, and that’s the main reason we chose it. We don’t want to renovate anything for at least more 15 years, LOL.

  • 7 years ago

    Buying a flip almost assured that you will have to do some type of fix because of the renovations. They concentrate on looks only.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    It wasn't a typical flip. It was an historic home that took a long time to do. My husband is too meticulous to buy the average HGTV-type flip! ETA: I meant to say, the renovation was completed this year.

  • 7 years ago

    I wish there was an eyeroll emoji on here, GreenDesigns you really know how to bring people down. pippiep, post pictures when you can, from what you described it seems gorgeous, I love historic homes! Maybe live with it for a while and see if you NEED drawers, we have never had them in the 3 homes we've lived in and renovated.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I think you’ll likely find that those cabinets may not be worth rebuilding.

    Don't be too quick to assume this. I made this (not exactly 3/4" plywood boxes)

    into this:
    And some of those drawers hold some pretty heavy stuff (I used 100 lb drawer glides).

    I doubt you'd have a problem installing drawers in what you've got.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I really had to fight to get my GC to put in as many drawers as he did. It is one of those things I am so glad I discovered this site when I did! Because prior to here, I'd just assumed that only those top utensil things were always going to be drawers, and everything else was going to be cabinets. Just because it was the only thing I'd ever seen out there face to face.

    There were three cabinets I did the cheaper way of fixing... the cab doors are still there, but there are pull out shelves for each of these. Not optimal, but at least functional. But I think you can get REAL drawers.

    I'm not sure KD's all go to schools where they learn about the high functionality of under counter drawers!


  • PRO
    7 years ago

    A friend remodeled a $2 million dollar summer house, and spent about the same on the re-model. I was stunned when I saw her kitchen - not only no drawers, but not even any pullouts inside cabinets. She said she was having a hard time finding her pans. Gee, what a surprise! Turned out her husband had vetoed these as they added to the cost. He doesn't cook - wasn't his problem. I would have called the contractor and immediately order drawers while the paint would match. She has just lived with it. Guess that's why they've been married now for 51 years!


    So, chances are this was a decision made on cost - they were remodeling this house to sell, not to live-in and drawers cost a lot more.


    Recently, I ordered 2 drawers to put in one cabinet I had left open to be a dog cubby. I had ordered a door and a shelf when the kitchen was re-done, for resale value. Then my older dog died, and remaining dog never again got in that cubby, new dog liked it but now-older dog did not join him. I reclaimed that space with drawers. We ordered a sample (cabinets are painted) from Shiloh and the match was perfect. I love my two new drawers!


    This was NOT cheap, though! Two new deep, 24" wide drawers were over $600, and installation was an additional $365. That was with a $100 discount. This was for Shaker cabinet painted. You're talking a LOT of money here. You may need to just live with this until you're ready for an entire new kitchen that is what you truly want. You can look into custom pull-outs - they will be less expensive than replacing the lowers with drawers, but I'm not a big fan.


    Since these cabinets don't go to the ceiling, I'd live with this kitchen as-is until I could get the new kitchen of my dreams.


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    A door is not a drawer front. You can add drawers but then you'll need matching drawer fronts unless you use all internal drawers. Double doors will need a dividing walls and so on. It's not that it can't be done but it not as easy as just buying drawers off the internet or making them in a garage shop as suggested.

  • 7 years ago

    I don't get it... don't ALL kitchen designers at this point know to put in drawers?? I'm baffled.

    Sure, they know. But drawers are more expensive, and the client may or may not end up caring about them.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Taking up a new hobby ”rescuing” firewood to create storage out of it doesn’t erase the fact that it isn’t ever cost effective to spend your time doing that. You only spend your time doing that because you want the challenge of a hobby, and don’t count your hours and hours spent in “enjoyment.“

  • 7 years ago

    OP, my sister had a custom cabinet builder make new cabinet doors for her uppers, change all her lower cabinets to drawers (real drawers, not pull-outs inside a cabinet), and add cabinets on top of her existing ones. Not to the ceiling because her ceiling is vaulted. It cost her about 13k instead of about 35k for new cabinets (before painting and hardware costs). The cabinet builder was also able to figure out a way to add a trash pullout. It was a great approach and cost a lot less than getting new cabinets. Layout was already pretty good so she didn’t want to go the full-remodel route.

  • 7 years ago

    @Greendesigns, some of us enjoy the sense of accomplishment from building something ourselves. Sorry that you have to presumptuously look down your nose at such efforts and call them "not cost effective."

    I daresay that I could turn one of the OP's lowers into a drawer base in about an hour with purchased drawers and fronts. Sounds pretty cost-effective to me. :-) Especially if you consider that you wouldn't have to remove/replace the counter or toss the cabinets into a landfill. Or give up use of the kitchen for a few weeks.

    Not everyone needs or benefits from your advertised $100K kitchen renovations. Broaden your mind a bit...there is more than one way to skin a cat.

  • 7 years ago

    Wow.

    I started a sewing business making items that take hours or days to make. I can’t compete with ready-made items from stores. It’s not always cost-effective for me to make myself something and I have yet to be profitable (in my second year). I have to make all new roman shades for the new house, but it sure is dang enjoyable!! I could buy some cheap poly shades or drapes, but...blech. Rather make them myself even if it’s not a savings. I know my products will be very high quality and well made, without scrimping.

    My husband would say the same about all the furniture he’s made, even when he’s bought rough wood that he had to plane and square.