Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_755966828

Help with fireplace and tv

Zach S
4 years ago

I'm looking for advice on what do do with my tv and fireplace layout. I was thinking about getting an electrician to put a outlet and cables for the TV above my fireplace. I contacted one and he told me that the tv would get too hot above the the fireplace. I think it will look off if I mount the tv beside the fireplace. I have some ideas on what to do but can't decide.

1. Mount it above the fireplace anyways and try to not use the fireplace.
  2. Mount it to the right of the fireplace and make some sort of feature wall. There might not be enough room on the wall though.
  3. Remove the current fireplace and install a linear gas fireplace lower and mount the tv above it.
  4. Remove the current fireplace and mount an electric liner fireplace and install the tv above it.
  5. What you recommend

The furnished picture is from the previous owners.

Comments (51)

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

That's a decent sized wall so I would not mount the TV above the fireplace. You don't really need a feature wall if you mount it to the right of the fireplace. What is your style? Maybe this can help determine what you should do.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

I think the TV shown belongs to the previous owners. Zach, what size is your TV? The fireplace looks small...how wide is it? Over a fireplace is not the best place for a TV. If there's room, I agree it might work off to the side.

• Zach S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like a modern style

• Zach S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think the fireplace is around 4 feet wide. I have a 55" tv

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Then maybe the linear fireplace you mentioned? I just wouldn't want the TV wider than the fireplace.

• Zach S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do like the look of the linear fireplace the best. It will be pretty expensive to change it out so I was kind of hoping for a option that looks good with the current fireplace.

• Zach S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I found this 60 inch electric fireplace on amazon. I might remove my gas one and mount this one lower. Mount a floating mantle and my tv above it.

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

This looks nice ..and you can use both ...since you want the tv in the living room ...which is a pity ...it looks like a great house for entertaining , conversation , with walls for paintings ....

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Wow. If you can afford to change the fireplace to the one above, go for it. It’s beautiful and solves your tv problem. Unless, of course, you can watch tv in another room. If you like modern design, that fireplace doesn’t work for you in the long run.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

The room that Zach has posted looks like his family room. I have a TV in the living and family rooms - because my husband likes sci-fi and I don't. I was tired of running upstairs to watch the upstairs TV. However, the living room TV is only 32" and does not obstruct the beauty of the room - nor interfere with conversation, since it is not the focus of the room.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Zach, I think the photo you posted is your solution. Looks nice!

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Removing a gas fireplace and replacing it with an electric one is reducing your homes value. I would mount your TV to the right of the fireplace. You can still update the fireplace tile and mantle if you want to have a more modern look.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Get a 24”-30” high cabinet which is wider than your tv width. Put the cabinet to the right of the fireplace. Place the tv just above the cabinet.
    The TV will be at the right height for viewing and the fireplace can be used. Hang a piece of art above the fireplace.
    Problem solved.

• Zach S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well I ordered that fireplace. Going to make a 2x6 walk and recess the tv and fireplace into it. I'm going to mount the fireplace hopefully about 12 inches off the ground so the tv can be mounted lower. Not sure if I should finish the wall with drywall, fake stone, wood, shiplap. I'm going to be redoing the floors with lvp and repainting the walls a light grey.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

LVP? What are the current floors?

Did you research the pros and cons of a gas fireplace vs an electric one in your area? As calidesign said, replacing gas with electric doesn't sound as if it will improve the house's value.

• Zach S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Currently have hardwood. Going to lay lvp over top because itll hold up better to my dog. I just bought the house and don't plan on selling for 10 years. Hopefully the electric fireplace doesn't make a huge difference when I go to resell it.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Don't lay LVP over hardwood. Keep the dog's nails trimmed and refinish the floors (if needed) when you sell.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

As for the new fireplace wall, just do drywall for a modern look. You could do a box beam mantel if you like.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

Zach - no one lays LVP over hardwood that's in good condition.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Your stair rail is going to work against the modern look you're going for. Consider replacing it.

• Zach S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I prefer the look of the wider plank and the darker color

• Zach S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

i only have 6 days to replace the kitchen cabinets, build an island, redo flooring, and change out the fireplace

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

Find someone to refinish the hardwood floors to a darker color. That LVP is going to ruin them.

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

TV above the fireplace is too high. Mount it on a swing arm so it’s at SEATED EYE LEVEL.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

You will not get all that done in 6 days you have watched too many home fix it shows you will be lucky if the fireplace is done in 6 days .

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Why only 6 days to do all that? That's a very tight timeline.

• Zach S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mostly just hoping to get as much done as possible before the movers bring all our things and the furniture is in the way

• tqtqtbw
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You are being given excellent advice. Please seriously consider it so that you don't devalue your house and anger your family when the work is no where near finish in the short time frame you have set. Taking that fireplace out will require plumber to cap the gas, electrician, drywall contractor and painter. You don't say if you are planing to DIY any of the work to control the time..

Also, if you are going to take the fireplace out, is there a better wall for the new one? Do you have a photo of the wall to the right with the window? The seller's furniture arrangement was akward due to the fireplace placement and what looks like the kithcen bar. You might be able to adjust for something better. Do you have additional photos of the room?

• ram123
    4 years ago

Not my house so my opinion doesn’t matter but, as others said DONT PUT LVP OVER REAL HARDWOOD.

• Zach S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I plan on doing all the work myself. The lvp is a floating floor so I can easily pull it up later.

• Zach S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That being said, I'll call today about getting it refinished in the next 6 days. Any opinions on what color to refinish it?

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

following

• tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

Assuming you are going darker with the floor? I like Jacobean. Some other nice non-red stains are dark walnut, special walnut or some combination of the those.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Natural:

• Zach S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I want to go darkish. I like the look of a brown/grey floor, like the lvp above. The cabinets will be the white and grey mix above and the walls will be painted a light grey.

• kariyava
    4 years ago

I would focus on getting the floors re-finished in the next six days. Everything else (especially the fireplace) can be done after furniture is in.

• seregiel
    4 years ago

If you have a dog - go for midtone floors. Darker floors show just as much if not more dust, fur, etc than light ones.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Grey floors, grey walls, grey furniture, cheap finishes. You are getting a lot of good advice here but it seems you aren't really open to suggestions to help you improve your home rather than degrading it. Good luck with your projects.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Dark floors will show every speck of dust and dog hair. At least you'll keep the Swiffer people in business.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Is this your first house, Zach?

• tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

@groveraxel, how do you think it would look to close in the stair spindles and place the TV and electric fireplace on the stair wall? That could leave two walls for the furniture in an l- arrangement -- the current fireplace wall and the window wall.

Sherbourne Circle · More Info

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

And....it would put the TV right in the sunlight.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

OP could get blackout cellular blinds or curtains for the TV/sunlight situation.

• Zach S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is my first home. I don't think the tv on the stairs will work because they are closer to the kitchen than the wall with the fireplace. I looked into a gas linear fireplace, but they are between $5-6000 installed. I wont really be using it for heat anyways as I hate being hot. I got a quote today of $3000 to refinish the 500 sqft of hardwood flooring.

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

I would refinish the floors in a medium toned brown. I have had dogs in homes with hardwood and they DO NOT ruin the floor if you keep their nails trimmed. Plus, you will add area rugs to protect the floors as well. It’s hard for anyone to comment on the quote for the floors since all parts of the country have different labor prices. It sounds reasonable to me.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

So basically it's 6.00 per sq. foot to refinish your floors. Think about how this compares to laying LVP over them(and ruining them).

• Zach S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

How come the lvp will ruin them?

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

If you're going the LVP route please check the installation instructions. Many say: Do NOT install over wood subfloor or wood floors adhered to concrete.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago