Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay_inhoff

Are kitchen ceiling fans a total no-no?

Jay Inhoff
4 years ago

Just wondering--are ceiling fans so O-U-T that no one puts them in a kitchen any more? I have looked through lots of photos and I never see them. I kind of like them because of the air movement but if they are considered so awful I could pass it up. I will have a Vent-a-hood over the range but I thought a little air movement might be nice. Thanks for your thoughts. J.

Comments (19)

• chocolatebunny123
    4 years ago

We had a ceiling fan over our eat in kitchen area for 10 years. I couldn't wait to replace it! Even though it wasn't directly next to the stove, it still got really gross. My husband did love it though because it did provide some air movement, but I reminded him that we were moving all the gross dust and stuck on crap all over the room too. I wouldn't do it again.

• User
    4 years ago

Often kitchen ceiling fans are unused. It is not recommended to use when cooking, conflicts with the stove vent. If you “live” in your kitchen, vs living/family room, then get one.

My thoughts: get what you need for your life style. Visit some neighbors, because they they have the same weather. If you are trying to be trendy, using photos, I would like to see a photo of your kitchen.

• J Inhof
    4 years ago

Thx Jim, We are in demo stage so not much to see but the electrician is coming this week to get started so I have to decide. we are in the Ohio River valley so our summer climate is hot and muggy though our neighbors are all quite with it millennials and no one has fans any more.

• jck910
    4 years ago

Is that a skylight? Where would the fan go?

• Jay Inhoff
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, It is a sky light. It's actually a rather large kitchen--about 20' by 30' so I have a couple of possibilities.

That said, I was just looking at the Fanimation site and I think I will get a 52" ceiling fan for the laundry room and a 72" fan for the family room and leave the kitchen un-fanned. I found a nice Hubbardton Forge pendant I can use in the kitchen for ceiling 'interest'.

Thank you, everybody.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

Have the electrician put in a ceiling fan box just in case you want to put in a ceiling fan in the future. You'd still be able to put in a regular light fixture for now.

• acm
    4 years ago

I think the main concern is blowing dust down into your food. If you really need the ventillation and are super-religious about dusting the blades, you could probably make it work.

• wilson853
    4 years ago

Put 'kitchen ceiling fan' in the search bar above and choose 'photos' and you will get a lot of ideas. I think that they are used more than you might think.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

Had one. Seemed a good idea at the time. NOT! Nasty!!! Couldn't keep the thing clean with weekly cleaning - needed it daily. And that film of grease worked like a magnet for pet hair. I couldn't wait to get rid of that thing!

• J Inhof
    4 years ago

Thank you, everybody. Lots of good thoughts. Didn’t think of the grease collecting on the blades. Or dust blowing down on food. Did search Houzz and saw lots of kitchen fans. Seemed like many of them were out of proportion with the space so that is something to keep in mind. Also looked at the Dyson and other bladeless fans which I didn’t know much about so I learned something. I would like the air movement but I think I will have to pass on the kitchen fan after all And just use one in the family room space And laundry. Thank you all, j.

• cat_mom
    4 years ago

We had to convince our electrician we were serious about putting a ceiling fan in our kitchen. No regrets about having one.

• oasisowner
    4 years ago

We had one, removed it when we remodeled, and really miss it. It was wonderful for cooling down the kitchen while cooking in the summer.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    4 years ago

NEVER will I take down our beloved kitchen ceiling fan.

• L thomas
    4 years ago

I have one - but I live in an un air conditioned house in a climate that is hot and humid in the summer, so being in the kitchen without it is pretty unbearable. I find that when it's on, it tends to blow out the gas burners on my range if they're turned down low - so I do keep a close eye on them.

• Chris Pole
    17 days ago

Hi J Inhof!! I am working on a design story and would like to chat with you about the excessive kitchen lighting you posted about ... what's the best way to get in touch?

• Chris Pole
    14 days ago

Hello! Trying to reach J Inhof about the renovation regret -- too much lighting in the kitchen that looked like chicken pox. Would love to ask you some questions for a story. Please lmk how I can connect. Thanks!

• J Inhof
    14 days ago

Hi chris, I just saw your message about lighting in the kitchen. I do not know how to message u privately. Can u advise me how to do that. Ty J

• Chris Pole
    14 days ago

Hello!! Thanks for getting in touch. I don't know how to message directly on this site, but I can be emailed at dovetailordesign at gmail -- I can tell you about the article I'm writing and see if you might be up for answering some questions about renovation regrets. Thanks!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH