natalia_s

Backsplash Decision

Liya
last year

We want to replace our existing kitchen backsplash with something lighter, to brighten up the space. I was thinking about glass tiles, but I'm not certain it will look right. Any advice?

• Liya
    last year

We do have under cabinet LED lighting, but it doesn't really lighten it up much.

• Liya
    last year

megs1030 - Here are some closeups.

Granite and backsplash decisions

So since posting this I have found out that this is not really a granite. It is called Brown fantasy and some call it a marble and some a quartzite. I like the colors but am fearful of the maintenance. So I have been searching for a granite with similar colors, taupe vs gold but so far can not find anything. I am having trouble matching the granite to the green color of the island and am starting to regret choosing that color for the island. Should I just go with this and deal with the maintenace for sake of color or keep searching for granite?

Backsplash decision

While the accent tile is pretty it isn't going to tie the counter top to the tile in the bath area. The quartz is a definite grey and the bath tile is beige. The counter top just does't match. I think maybe if the walls were a green or blue from the accent tile, the difference would be less apparent.

Help me with backsplash decision!

I read your comment about painting your cabinets off white eventually. Do you think you should consider painting before making any further permanent or semi-permanent choices for the kitchen. What do you have for floors? What is the rest of the house, stylewise and what colours are in the adjacent rooms. Also, I know Home Depot has good pricing but you need to expand your search to a good tile store to see more ideas and also better quality. There are many online tile sites to look at but my favourite is Tilebar. They have 5 samples for $5 so you might consider looking there and ordering quite a few to see what really works for you and your space. Here are some I picked with just a quick scan through. You could go with whites, greys, taupes, there are lots of colours in your counter that you could pull out and use. I prefer an elongated subway style tile but of course, there are many many choices in both size and colour for subway including many different whites if you decide to try to match the white from your counters. But keep in mind that this may make your later paint choice of off-white more difficult.

Quick backsplash decision, installer coming now!!

Neither. Just tile the back wall. If you end at the cabinet, you'll have a piece of wall that will look strange and if you end at the wall, it will look even stranger because of the rounded corner.
  • Barb
    last year

Here is my kitchen with the board I made to pick the tile. I spent several months looking at a million options and opted for simple. I'm anxious for it to get done.

Liya thanked Barb
  • Liya
    last year

Thanks @Barb! The kitchens do look remarkably alike. Be sure to post pics of the finished product!

Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

Liya, I would not do a bright white tile. look at more of a cream, antique type of white.

The Shadebox in the off-white tones would be beautiful.

So would this 3x12 matte tile from Tilebar. Byzantine Bianco, in a herringbone

below, top is Kiln ceramic in a larger chevron in ivory, below that is Lancaster 3x12 in Ivory, and the 4x4 crackle in Hazelnut. the latter two are also from Tilebar. look over there because you can order 5 samples for $5.

if you want glass, you can't do a white since it will give off a cool, greenish hue. go with this sand color ^ DiscountGlassTileStore, or below, DalTile Horizons in Driftwood. this would be beautiful w/your cabs. has a slight iridescence to them

Also from Tilebar, the Nabi 3x6 in Seawind

Liya thanked Beth H. :
  • megs1030
    last year

I would definitely do something creamy, not bright white. There are a million options. You should be able to grab a sample of something you like at a local tile store and take it back to your house to see how it would look with your counters.

Liya thanked megs1030
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

also comes in this reed color (in the larger tile though

2x8

you'd have to get a sample of the reed color since the pics vary.

https://www.tilestoreonline.com/Daltile_Oceanside_Glass_Horizons_GH04_Reed_2_X_8_p/02-gh04281p-s.htm

Liya thanked Beth H. :
  • Liya
    last year

Here's a close-up of the countertop material (Cambria Quarts: Brownhill):

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

Please no offense but you have so many appliances out that I have to ask - will it really matter? Your dark backsplash helps these appliances recede a bit. A light one will just make the appliances stand out more. Any way to create a storage solution to cull those? You’d want to see/enjoy your new backsplash !

Liya thanked thinkdesignlive
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

I would not choose glass tile for your space, or any of the options shown thus far. pick out the lightest color chip, and look for a ceramic tile that harmonizes with that color.

eam44,,I posted 5 tiles w/the exact same color choice of your fireclay tiles. those don't work but yours do? um, ok. you should also tell her that Fireclay will run $35 a sq foot

Liya thanked Beth H. :
  • decoenthusiaste
    last year

I have to agree about the appliance overload. Do you use all of them every day? Do you have a WIP for such items?

Liya thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Liya
    last year
    last modified: last year

I cook every day and I love having the convenience of the counter top appliances being close at hand. Besides, the appliances cover up the backsplash :-)

Debbi Washburn
    last year

Try putting a lot of them away and take a step back - then decide on the splash. There are a lot of great suggestions posted here. I also agree - no white -too harsh...Also I do have to say your undercabinet lights seem awfully dim...I wonder if there is a higher wattage you could get...

Good luck

• Liya
    last year
    last modified: last year

I removed some of the appliances and turned the under cabinet lights to full brightness. It's also starting to get dark out, so the lighting is more pronounced that it was earlier

And here it is with all the appliances back:

• eam44
    last year

Hi Beth,

I know you worked so hard on your choices. You see those tiles, and the ones I showed as the same color. They aren’t even close. Not everyone sees color the same way. You know how there are supertasters, and people with great hearing? Some people see color better than others. Don't feel bad about it. You still have a contribution to make.

I have noticed that when you are not openly acknowledged in a thread, you sort of lash out. These threads aren’t actually about you, they’re about the OP.

For some reason I seem to be a repeat target for you. That stops now. There’s no reason for you to mention me in any thread in future. Don’t apologize, just behave better.

Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

eam- huh? simmer down. I don't know why you're getting all riled up. there was no attack on you. you mentioned an off white ceramic tile, like the fireclay options. you said you would choose none of the above choices. odd. since those above choices are exactly like the one you posted. these ''aren't even close" ? seriously? we're talking color, yes?

"For some reason I seem to be a repeat target for you. That stops now. There’s no reason for you to mention me in any thread in future. "

lmao. now that's funny. Especially since your full-on, condescending attack contradicts your exact comment. glass house anyone? I have noticed that when you are not openly acknowledged in a thread, you sort of lash out. These threads aren’t actually about you, they’re about the OP.

now this ^, this is really funny. I lashed out? Show me where I 'lashed out'. please. Hello Pot, meet Kettle.

As for you being a repeat target, your memory must be better than mine because I don't remember having anything to do with you. perhaps you think you're more to me than you really are?? lol

Anglophilia
    last year

I think if you change the backsplash you're still going to be unhappy. It's your busy granite countertop that is the biggest problem.

Liya thanked Anglophilia
  • chispa
    last year

Beth, you mentioned the cost of the Fireclay ... that 2x8 Oceanside Glass tile isn't going to be cheap either.

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

I'll be the first to say that 'yay' what an improvement to cull those appliances and turn on the lights! Makes such a difference!

Liya thanked thinkdesignlive
  • thinkdesignlive
    last year

I think your existing finishes are very cohesive. If you are looking to lighten and brighten I'd say consider painting ONLY the upper cabinets. I am having a hard time seeing a new backsplash as 'paying off' in the long run.

Liya thanked thinkdesignlive
  • megs1030
    last year

I agree that removing some of those appliances and turning on your under counter lights, your kitchen looks brighter already. I know it's a pain to constantly put away the things we use so often, but it does help make your space look bigger and more functional.

Liya thanked megs1030
  • skunst2017
    last year

It,s simple a creamy white I.e. The lightest color in your counter and you have a lovely kitchen .

Liya thanked skunst2017
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

chispa, no it isn't. but it's a specialty glass. But we were talking about the cream subway tiles. tilebar, or even home depot, have the same color for a lot less money than fireclay. That's why I mentioned the price in that comment. have no idea if OP wants to do this on a budget.

Liya thanked Beth H. :
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    last year

A beige subway tile or herringbone will work. I would also paint the walls a different color to break up the brown layers in all the materials.

You can also add glass with interior lighting to break up all the wood.

Liya thanked Filipe Custom Woodwork
  • Liya
    last year

We just redid the floors, and after we put the baseboards in painting is next. Any suggestions?

• eld6161
    last year

You are facing a problem that many have with the Cambria. The creams do not relate to anything in counter. I suspect you chose the brown because that is the only color you could pull from the counter.

Although in theory, the gold colors that Beth has chosen could work, I am not seeing how it would lighten things up.

I would leave what you have.

In a perfect world, a new lighter counter with a light backsplash would be the answer.

Liya thanked eld6161
  • txandmt
    last year

Following.

• Liya
    last year

I think I'm starting to agree, to just keep the backspash and turn up the under cabinet lighting, get the walls painted and re-evaluate. Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone!

• jhmarie
    last year

I have a wood kitchens idea book that might give you some thoughts to consider as you think about your refresh. There are both new and older, refreshed kitchens:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

Liya thanked jhmarie
    Debbi Washburn
    last year

Please just get to a tile store and grab samples of tile you like in the cream / beige families. Until you bring actual samples to your space there is no way for you to make any progress. Pictures of tile are pretty but tell you nothing. Even if you go to Home Depot and buy several loose pieces just to sort out a color that would work - than use that piece as your color reference ...

Good luck - time to get your hands on some tile!

Liya thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Liya

We made our selection for the backsplash, and as you can see it is being installed as we speak. The first photo is with the undercabinet lights off, and the rest are with it on.

Beth H. :

I thought the tiles were beige, but they're white?

look into upgrading your bulbs to 4000K temp. I bet they're in the 2700-3000K range now. Way too much yellow going on in there.

under-cab lights are supposed to be task lighting, not candlelit dinner lighting! those are so dim and so yellow! seriously, get new bulbs for them.

Liya thanked Beth H. :
    Flo Mangan

Improving lighting always good idea. What grout color are you doing?

• Liya

Here is a closeup with the light off, and with it on. The last photo is from the box the tile came in.

Beth H. :

oh my. big diff. did you use the flash? That's the way the lighting should be all the time.

you want the 4000K temp bulbs everywhere in the kitchen. otherwise, it's too yellow

some give you 3 diff settings

Liya thanked Beth H. :
  • Liya

Photos were with no flash.

Beth H. :

maybe it's the window throwing it off? the lights just look very yellow. do you know the temp of the bulb that's in the under cab light?

in any case, if it's not 4000K, the dark cabs and yellow tone countertop, will only add to the yellowish cast of the bulbs.

should look like this when turned on. A nice, natural cool tone white

Liya thanked Beth H. :
  • Liya

The LED lights are 3000K.

Beth H. :

too yellow and too dim. replace them w/the 4000 (the bulbs, not the entire light. or see if your particular light has another setting. some of them come w/warm and cool settings for the bulbs)

• claire larece

Is there any can lights in the kitchen? How many?

• btydrvn

On my screen the last three pics from Liya look like entirely different colors...how can anyone be sure in commenting on color?

• btydrvn

Would a new pic from much further back.....showing the whole kitchen ...with and without lights be possible?

• claire larece

read from the beginning of the thread btydrvn

• petula67

The new backsplash looks MUCH better to me, regardless of lighting. Your cabinets look happier and prettier.

Liya thanked petula67
  • Liya

btydrvn, NO under cabinet light

AND with under cabinet light

• btydrvn

Wow...mission accomplished..this really brightens the space and appears to match the counters perfectly...also blends well with wall color

Liya thanked btydrvn
    Beth H. :

lol. Well this shot looks nothing like that last shot you posted! So it was probably the window throwing off the camera lighting.

In any case, it really looks much brighter.

my last suggestion for you would be to switch those knobs on the doors to handles. you have such tall cabinet doors, the knobs look too small. getting a 5 or 6" pull would upgrade the look and have it look more proportional.

use the handles that are on the drawers. all you have to do is drill one more hole in the doors. easy.

Liya thanked Beth H. :
  • btydrvn

I might paint the supports under the island countertop to match the wall underneath as they dont match any thing else or add any design detail that needs to be accentuated

Liya thanked btydrvn
  • mxk3

Wow, what a difference - nice job on the backsplash!

Liya thanked mxk3