Software
Houzz Logo Print
laurajazz

My fireplace need help!

6 years ago

I have one of those ugly 1960s Garrison colonials, trying to redeem it a little bit… Living room is small although I have opened it up, but I need to do something with this fireplace… Maybe it’s just better art or doing something with the mantel. Any suggestions? My style is modern/mid century/eclectic

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I think your art on each side looks fabulous. The mirror above the fireplace isn’t working though and should be removed along with the small objects on the mantel. I think you could pull in some sculptural wall art above the fireplace or large vases to add a focal point.

  • 6 years ago

    Mantels are hard for me. I found several good tutorials/guides on Pinterest.


    I would try putting a tall green topiary on one side, balanced by a trio of tall skinny candlesticks in the other and see what happens. The mirror might be ok, but maybe in a darker frame?

  • 6 years ago

    I also love the art on both sides of the fireplace. As for making the fireplace and mantel more mid century, maybe consider removing the mantel all together and bricking all the way up to the ceiling and then putting a simple linear mantel above the fire box. here's a couple ideas.

    Modern Living Room · More Info

    Newport Beach Residence · More Info

  • 6 years ago

    Theresa I like this idea very much and I've thought about this - once concern I have is that my celings are only 8' -- I'm a bit paralyzed because of that (totally on board with the simple mantel - but wonder what impact bricking (or tiling, etc.) up to the top will have visually on my already low ceilings) (??).

    Redesign I do like the idea of a sculpture as I don't want to 'overdo' it with the paintings. I'm on my way to an auction right now - maybe I'll get lucky!

  • 6 years ago

    regarding the mantel - I could do walnut or some smooth sleek wood to keep in the MCM mode or I also thought about going w/ a reclaimed (but not to rusticy) mantel to play off that industrial coffee table that I have/

  • 6 years ago

    If you don't want to reconfigure the fireplace, I'd hang something round above the mantel - lots of mcm decor that could work, (if you can find something not too "home goods") or, as someone suggested sculptural art with some curves. Your other art is so fabulous!


  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    The rectangular mirror doesn't work. Maybe these will.







  • 6 years ago

    Love the art!

  • 6 years ago

    Not a pro, but I like the idea of a MCM sunburst or atomic style clock above your mantel instead of that mirror.

    Telechron Sunburst Clock · More Info

    GwG Outlet Metal Acrylic Copper Wall Clock, 20 · More Info

    Gold/Wood Wall Nova, 30.5" · More Info

    RF Atomic Clock, Maple White/Blue, Midcentury Modern Wood & Acrylic Wall Clock · More Info

    Satellite 23 Mid-Century Modern Vintage Wall Clock · More Info

    Sunburst Clock, Walnut · More Info

  • 6 years ago

    IMO I think extending the fireplace to the ceiling will elongate the height of the room. In other words... it will make the room look taller than it actually is. your eye will go up rather than stop, therefore making the room look taller...

  • 6 years ago

    I love your art and the fireplace doesn't bother me. Just my two cents....

    Laura Jazz thanked girl_wonder
  • 6 years ago

    You cold paint the fireplace mantle in a dark gray. How about switching the mirror and the smaller painting. (Love both of the paintings.)

    Laura Jazz thanked houssaon
  • 6 years ago

    I was just playing around last night with whatever "tall thing" I could find at my home to put on my existing mantel and grabbed a plant - put it on one side of the fireplace. I like the mirror idea suggested above, and the ideas for "round"-ish things, and actually am thinking of something vintage - moroccan ? - with an unusual shape. Authentic MCM sculptures are pricey unless I get really lucky at an auction (which by the way is where I get my art and oriental rugs -- which are in every room of the house but this living room).... looking at this photo, I think I'm getting too much clutter on the right side of th fireplace (maybe I'm looking at this too much).... and of course the dog bed is prominent in the foreground.....


Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals