5989369

Ceiling design cost estimates please..

Bobby
October 13, 2019

I would love something like this done on my living room ceiling home renovation. Does anyone know the approximate cost of doing something like this? Room is bout same size as photo. Also, i see a lot of Ceiling design products made of pvc but I’d rather use wood. I’m curious of the price difference using pvc vs wood?

• deb s

Check out Outwater out of Bogata NJ https://www.outwater.com/

Bobby thanked deb s
  • bry911

I have zero experience with plaster molding but I'm going to assume that it is somewhat fragile and subject to being damaged in shipment. So I would be prepared for the Delay Factor.

All precast plaster today is fiber and possibly steel reinforced and pretty durable. I have never had a piece come broken but I have broken some pieces once I have them. They are installed with screws, sawed with miter saw etc.

I was saying mdf, wood expands very little longitudinally, most woods are going to expand less than the thickness of a credit card over 8'. Finger joints of the same type of wood are going to have the same modulus of change.

The moulding shown is not really pvc. It is polyurethane foam, you might be able to find an exterior product, but most are going to be cellular polyurethane.

This is expensive, it is going to be expensive to install and expensive to paint. Plaster way more so than wood, again I would go with mdf, or polyurethane. If you are doing it to keep plaster in a historically authentic home then go for it. But I will tell you that repairing one broken pipe across a 12' high ceiling with precast plaster was very nearly $10,000.

Cost estimate, removing a load-bearing wall.

Hi Pat, yes we recently installed a steel beam in our kitchen after removing a load bearing wall. We just got the inspection approved for the steel beam and the inspector said it's one of the best jobs he's seen. We hired a steel beam fabricator and installer separately and we highly highly recommend them both. They were one of the best contractors to work with. Carlos is the steel beam installer and his number is 310-991-9816. Tell him Yoonie and Brian referred you. He will get the job done right. Matt is the steel beam fabricator and his number is 310-675-8983. They were both really great to work with. We installed a 1,400lb beam in our house.

we offer great designs,cost estimation,buildinh and construction in ke

for great designs and any project in kenya,please contact us

Design ideas for this house, and how much would it cost?

Outside looks good. I would trim back the philodendron in the front severely or better yet remove as it is covering your arch window. The layout of your kitchen looks fine. If you don't like the doors I would just replace those. If the doors are ok just update with hardware. You have granite already. If you want to change it out that might cost about five grand. I would paint the entire inside. Change the tile around the fireplace and paint the mantle. The pool area and cage need to be power washed. Is the pool equipment functional? Does the pool need to be re-surfaced ? With both bathrooms the color of the tile clashes with the granite chosen. Since I think the tile is dated I would switch that is it. All hardwood will look great. I would request a price per square foot for hardwood but I think 25,000 to $30,000. You could get a ballpark figure from a contractor on the phone. Cute house.

Estimated cost of small kitchen remodel

Judging from the photos, you probably want the same flooring in the kitchen as well as the family room. That is going to cost from $5 to $20 sq ft installed. But you need to know the square footage to get a realistic cost estimate and decide what type of flooring. Painting can cost anything. It can be very cheap or very expensive. You can hire anyone to slap on a couple cans of paint, or you can pay for a good prep job. If you keep the appliances, the sink, and the electrical stuff in the same locations, the cost will be less. I suspect you have not measured the kitchen correctly. It looks more square than 8' x 12'. An 8' wide kitchen would be a fairly narrow galley kitchen. You should make a list of EVERYTHING you will need to buy for the kitchen, - appliances, countertops, switch plate covers, light fixtures, pulls, cabinets, and then double the cost. That will give you a rough ballpark. But you really need to figure out how to measure first. And forget your idea of narrower lower cabinets. Your base cabinets will be 24" deep. Keep it simple. I am not trying to be a jerk, but if you are buying cabinets at Home Depot and you aren't sure how big your space is, then you should NOT be attempting to use anything other than standard depth cabinets. Your realtor should guide you in determining what the house is worth. What you are trying to figure out is if you can afford the house, given your renovation plans. Your realtor can't help you much with that. A helpful realtor might be able to say, "My friend's new kitchen is about this size and cost $xx," but you can't rely on that.
  • Molly D.

Bobby-Looking at your previous post from last month, you were debating the whole wood beam/faux beam issue. It sounded like you had already decided.

• Molly D.

Maybe post current pictures of the actual room.

• bry911

I see both sides of this particular conflict. I realize that the pros are genuinely trying to help and ensure they don't assist someone in a decision they will come to regret. However, to the other side, it can come off as withholding the information until the poster is deemed worthy which can be frustrating and annoying.

Just my 2 cents...

• Bobby

These so called PROS don‘t need to continue with the harassing comments. They can just move on! I wasn’t looking to hire anyone, I was just curious on on cost of this project .. So if it’s frustrating or annoying ignore it..

• ci_lantro

Bobby, first you said this:

I would love something like this done on my living room ceiling home renovation.

And then you said this:

I wasn’t looking to hire anyone, I was just curious on on cost of this project .

Inconsistent, confusing & misleading. But then maybe this is DIY and all you need to know is the material cost but looks like you have that part figured out.

So you got more info than you wanted. This is a public forum; other readers are beneficiaries of the info overload. Easy enough for you to skip on past.

• Bobby

I meant I wasn’t looking to hire anyone on this forum. I was hoping there was someone out there who had some knowledge of what something like this runs.. But I’m guessing not much experience with this type of detail work.. I’m sure this type of work is only done on high end homes..

• D E

nothing to add to the topic at hand I just have a question about the original pic? how do they pull the curtains over the windows??

• blubird

Curtain are on fixed panels....no moving anywhere.

• Bobby

I’m meeting with carpenter and GC today . i have another question, god forbid. Haha ...I’m having all the textured walls smoothed out in most of home. Should I have them smooth out the ceilings for this design in photo? Ceilings are a medium texture .

JAN MOYER

Where is this house, and what does it look like? Mmmmmm? Textured walls and ceilings, unless some costly design feature/ treatment, or plaster and lathe are usually a cost saving measure at build. One involving less labor and perfection.

• bry911

Yes, you should have them smooth the ceiling.

In fact, if you are still leaning towards plaster, you really need blocking and a level 5 drywall finish, assuming there is no floor above it, which I can't imagine in ceilings that high.

You might want to investigate if you have any drywallers who do veneered plaster (blueboard drywall).

Bobby thanked bry911
  • Bobby

Ok ty bry11 . They are not super textured but While they’re at it with smoothing the walls I’ll have them smooth the ceiling as well. And I think I will go with the poly resin moldings instead of plaster . The ceilings are so high I’m sure they’ll look beautiful. And yes , no second floor thank God.

Flo Mangan

Do post pics when finished. Love you are trying doing this. The ceiling is something to be taken advantage of and few do. Congrats!

Bobby thanked Flo Mangan
  • Bobby

Ty Flo! That’s exactly how I feel . Finding my dream house with 14’ ceilings is so exciting.. Because I absolutely love love ceiling design work and detail work. Luckily my GC and crew are Hungarian and they get my visions. The peeps here in US look at me like I have snakes coming out of ears. But most homes being built in my area now are very modern and look like offices. .. I don’t get it .

JAN MOYER

I ASKED is it plaster? And only because we see lots of things here..............lots : ) Don't read my mind, I certainly can't read the house or the actual room from here, right? The only photo we have is the "inspo"

The Cook's Kitchen

Plaster moldings are generally embedded in a wet coat on a plaster ceiling. Not drywall. No way with textured drywall. Impossible. Then the moldings joins are tooled to be seamless, again with wet plaster. This is one reason that this is an expensive to very expensive choice. There aren’t a lot of wall plasterers out there. Those that exist are generally concentrated in the northeast. The ones that work with plaster moldings are even fewer, they are generally a subset, and work in high end home restorations, not renovations. Occasionally, a mason crosses trade lines, as they have some analogous skills. But there is a learning curve, and that shouldn’t be counted on as a potential. Learning curves cost.

Raw material pieces on anything like this is peanuts. It’s the skilled labor costs that you pay for.

• D E

blubird

"Curtain are on fixed panels....no moving anywhere."

Ok, thats new to me. So what is the purpose of the curtains?

JAN MOYER

The purpose of fixed curtain panels is to "frame" and soften the window, the room, and provide texture and posibly pattern. Thats why we refer to them as "curtains" . The other you refer to is DRAPERY. These are fuller, at least double or triple the window width. They are designed to pull closed to cover.

Essentially two different things , DE

• D E

JAN MOYER

"The purpose of fixed curtain panels is to "frame" and soften the window, the room, and provide texture and posibly pattern. Thats why we refer to them as "curtains" . The other you refer to is DRAPERY. These are fuller, at least double or triple the window width. They are designed to pull closed to cover.

Essentially two different things , DE"

So interesting - to have curtains that that dont actually exist to cover the window.

so very interesting.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

"Dress" curtains are just that--window dressing. They exist to frame and soften the hard edges (wood, stone, drywall, metal) in a room. They add pattern and color and texture to a room. The problem is that they should APPEAR as if they could close, and thus should be on a rod that extends all the way across the window.

Isn't THAT interesting???!!!

• bry911

Plaster moldings are generally embedded in a wet coat on a plaster ceiling. Not drywall. No way with textured drywall. Impossible. Then the moldings joins are tooled to be seamless, again with wet plaster.

I have had precast plaster mouldings made and installed in several U.S. states and two foreign countries and never once has a single one of them been done in a wet coat. Precast plaster is installed just like wood mouldings only with screws instead of nails.

Here are the installation instructions from Castle Designs. Please note

1. Use 3” coated drywall screws or 3” coated framing head nails for fastening. Pre-drill holes approximately every 8” inside dome near outer rim. Apply adhesive to unfinished side outer dome rim. Outer dome rim will overlap onto finished ceiling when installed.
    2. Install dome into opening, and fasten onto support framing. Countersink coated fasteners approximately 1/8” to ¼” and fill holes with non-shrinking spackling compound or plaster and water mix. Use a feathering technique with a wet paintbrush for a smooth blend onto product surface. For additional support, use wire cable to attach dome to rafters and joist.
    3. Apply a bead of painters’ caulk between outer rim of dome and finished ceiling in order to seal any unevenness at ceiling.

Here is a screenshot of the back page of Omega's catalog. Please note where it specifically says they can be installed on drywall.

Yes, the ceiling needs to be smooth, and it needs to be flat. A level 5 drywall finish will help, but I assure you it can be installed easily on drywall.

• bry911

I really don't find it all that interesting, not sure about anyone else. Believe it or not, I also put paint on my walls and even have dress shoes of two different colors... GASP!

• ci_lantro

I'm trusting that your dress shoes don't look as ridiculous as those horned curtain rods do...

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

@bry911, when DE says "so very interesting" she is being snide, as usual.

• D E

so very interesting

JAN MOYER

DE,

WHAT exactly is your problem? I mean this seriously. I answered your question and gave you an answer that reflects knowledge, trends, for a few decades. It is BEYOND commonplace to separate the privacy function, ( known as hard treatments, generally) from the decorative only function on a window.. I'll speak for many of us I believe: If you can not restrain yourself, cannot simply say, " thanks for the explanation" ? Then find something to do. Because the snark in your comment was not lost on any of us. It's not very "interesting", either. ( apologies to others for the brief hijack )

• Helen

I am curious regarding the statement that the rods of fixed curtains are supposed to go across the window so they don't give the appearance of being fixed - or more accurately so they look as though theoretically the curtains can close.

Specifically in the inspiration photo, my non-Pro eye thinks the thin curtains look quite nice between the statement windows and a curtain rod running across the windows would be a visual distraction. Also the height of the curtains would have to change and the curtain rod would then have to be place where? - At ceiling height - at the top of the curve because clearly it couldn't bisect the windows at the height the curtains currently are.

I am not trying to be snarky but genuinely interested in where this design commandment comes from because I think the curtains as done look better without any further rods.

JAN MOYER

The rod, despite the panels are not moving, is the "visual" connector.Only in a rare instance would I skip it. I don't see your inspo photo : )

• shirlpp

I thought this dilemma was about CEILING DESIGN COSTS!............jeezzzz!

Bobby thanked shirlpp
  • Helen

@Jan - I am confused by your answer. I was asking specifically about the inspiration photo posted by OP in which the rods for the fixed curtains do not run the width. across the windows.

Perhaps I was misinterpreting the original comment in terms of the design rule - clearly the curtains would never be meant to cover those windows - why would a rod be necessary to make it look as if they would move.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Because as my mother used to say ,”that’s just the way it is.” It’s a design convention, an accepted way of doing something. You can like it or not but know that many in the design profession will see it as not quite right.

• Helen

@Diana - I understand it's a convention but I ask again how one would then place the rods in the inspirational photo posted by OP - e.g. what height would they be placed if they are supposed to run across the windows.

• Bobby

I’m really upset ! Everyone forgot about me and my original question.. whaaaaayy Hahahaha

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Sorry Bobby these discussions take on a life of their own sometimes!!
    To answer Helen’s question either place the rods above the curved upper windows or on the molding between the upper and lower windows

BeverlyFLADeziner

Diana, no need to apologize. Bobby likes to stir the pot here on Houzz.

• Bobby

Beverly, unlike you I’m sure Diana knew I was joking around. I believe you might be the one who likes to stir the pot! But remember when you’re a s***stirrer you have to lick the spoon.. : )

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Thanks, Bev, I wasn't aware. And I thought I knew all the "pot stirrers" here....

• bry911

I know I should just refrain from comment but restraint has never been my strong suit.

The irony of this is absolutely amazing! I mean it is really something special.

Here is the accepted definition of a "pot stirrer" - A person who feels it necessary to try and create more drama in regards to a situation/arguement/debate in which they are an outside observer. Usually by way of a comment or statement.

So... you resurrect a thread that is three weeks dead to note that an active participant in that thread is a "pot stirrer," for what was obviously a tongue in cheek comment.

Right on!

Bobby thanked bry911
    BeverlyFLADeziner

bry911, I can't disagree with your conclusion

However, in my defense, for weeks I have been answering questions and providing information to what I thought were legitimate posts. I don't usually pay any attention to the name of the poster, only the issue. Suddenly yesterday in reviewing the status of some postings, I finally connected the dots and realized that a number of posts came from the same poster and were...... odd. A little embarrassed that I was slow to catch on, I thought I'd warn other pros. Mea Culpa.

Bobby thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • bry911

Wow... A great post! It is a rare and special person who can own their "slips" on the internet. Well done.

• Bobby

@bry911 I am so confused why this person is acting this way ? All my posts are 100% legit and maybe my comments can be in jest sometimes . But when some attack me I can get a little snarky .. Oh well..

• Molly D.

Have to side with Bev... it’s the “unlimited budget comments” and no progress photos that I found odd as well. But everyone chimed in with valuable information so all good!

• Bobby

@Molly trust me I have a budget! Just ask my hubby. : ) If you got that impression it was sarcasm responding to comments assuming I was doing this in a unsuitable space which of course translates to me not having any sense.. They are actually smoothing all the walls and ceiling in the areas I wanted as we speak.. Scaffolding everywhere.. I’m having them remove everything on ceiling except for two chandelier boxes & had ac vents moved closer to sides so ceiling is a blank canvas for that design. Pillars painting wht & found these ac vent covers that actually match my ceiling design! : )

• Fsal

Hi. Didn’t read through all these comments but I loved that pic too and did the same-ish treatment in my dining room. I found the circles online and can find the website if you still need it. I searched everywhere to find a price that would fit my budget. I love ceiling treatments. It’s the forgotten fifth wall.

• Bobby

@Fsal omg love! Yes please. They’re smoothing ceilings now and My GC said he could probably find them . I told him I want exactly like pic!

• Fsal

I’ll double check with my designer and also go through all my emails. Btw, I just went though some of your posts. Looks like you have a lot you’re renovating. You haven’t considered using a designer? My designer was my sanity saver. Worth every penny and saved money using her expertise.

• Bobby

@Fsal I’ve tried working with a few designers but It gives me more anxiety cause I feel like I’m supposed to love everything they suggest.. I have plenty of time on my hands to do this myself which has been a full time job.. The only time I feel like I need someone is usually to help me find something I’ve seen somewhere and I have no luck finding myself..