drippy_gw

Theme Garden Swap

drippy
October 14, 2019

Some of my past GW swapper friends have indicated that they would like me to host the Theme Garden Swap again, so here I am, for one last year - after that I am passing the baton! Due to time constraints, this will be a fairly short window, and I can take only the first 30 participants.

What's a theme garden? Well, it's any garden built around a theme. Any theme. A memorial garden for someone special. A single color garden. An herb or vegetable garden. A shade garden. A Famous Artists garden. You get the idea; this swap is designed to spark your creativity, and, to some extent, your sense of humor. One year I posted Sun, Moon and Stars as a theme, and a participant sent me Lettuce, Cos (mos). LOL! Use your imagination.

This is NOT a wish list swap, although you may post up to 5 things that you do not want to receive. Also, this may not work out exactly as a pack for pack swap, but I have not had dissatisfied players in the past.

Here's how to play: post your wish to do so, and up to 3 garden themes, by October 30. Posting your growing zone is a plus; other swappers will know not to send you palm tree seeds if you live in Minnesota and don't have a conservatory. Keep an eye on others' postings, and start packaging your seeds. Generally, seeds should not be older than packaged or collected in 2018. That being said, some seeds - onions, china asters, peppers, valerian, for instance - have an even shorter viability than that, so please do some research before you send them in. Also, please clean your seeds as best you can - I do not have time to sort chaff from seeds. It is easiest for me if you direct them to a particular player's theme, being aware that I may shuffle some around if 25 packets of orange marigolds are sent in for someone's Orange Garden. Be reasonable with amount of seeds per package - 5 dictamnus albus seeds, which are rare and hard to collect (and expensive to buy) may be a generous amount; 5 marigold seeds probably not.

On October 30 or 31, I will either message or post my address for sending seeds. I need to have all the seeds by November 15. I realize that doesn't give you a lot of time, but work and holiday plans have me straight out after the first week of December, and I want to have your seeds on the way back to you by then. Your packages must include seeds, your name, mailing address, your GW name, your email, and postage equal to the amount it cost to send your package. Please do not send pre-printed postage labels for return, unless they are not date specific. In years past, I found I could not use them on any date other than the date they were printed, which meant I couldn't use them for the return packages.

I do not have the wherewithal to put together a composite list for this - if anyone wants to volunteer, thank you! Otherwise, all info will be in this posting.

I think that's all - let's have fun! Be creative!

• drippy

Welcome, Zeak! Here's the updated list:

#1 poisondartfrog - Poppies are Popular; Coral Reef (the color coral, related colors, names, more); Curbed, Contained, Confined NO: trees

#2 xiangirl, zone 5 - Husker Theme (red flowers); Melodious Melons (melons, especially early); Self-Sow Garden (marigolds, daisies, larkspur, etc) NO: tomato, pepper, hollyhocks, gourds

#3 B Maggic, zone 6 - Shade Garden; Cottage Classics; Cut and Come Again Flowers (zinnia, cosmos, etc.)

#4 patrob, zone 8a - Ring of Fire; The Birds and the Bees (and the Hummingbirds); Up, Up and Away NO: trees, morning glories, daturas, and vegetables

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa)

#6 lvsgrtdanes, zone6 - Unusual Annuals; Butterfly and Hummingbird; Fragrant NO: vegetables, morning glories, coneflowers, cleome, cosmos

#7 hibiscusfan - Pop Goes the Weasel; Red Hot Mama; Singing the Blues

#8 sandlapper_rose, zone 8 - Arose Such A Clatter (small plants to accompany roses, or to the name); Fall Splendor (fall blooming/producing plants); Lavender's Blue Dilly Dilly (lavender, dill, plants with blue/lavender coloring) NO: cilantro, plants poisonous to pets, plants requiring too much water or are heat sensitive, spreading vines

#9 janinilulu - A Cup of Tea (anything useful for tea, including fruits and vegetables); Blues and Purples (annuals in shades of blues and strong purples, including fruits and vegetables); Magic and Medicine (medicinal/magical plants, including fruits and vegetables)

#10 Zeak zone 8b - Flowers of Fragrance (prefer 4ft or less); My Name (flowers/vegetables with the letters Z,E,A,K) NO: cruciferous or legumes

#31 drippy, zone 9b - One Singular Sensation (one you liked best in your garden); Edible Landscaping; Broadway Shows NO: Trumpet vine, spinach, lilac

• poisondartfrog

Experiencing a little theme envy as the slots fill up. That's one of the things that make this swap fun.

What is the theme in the photo

how about 'victorian garden gazebo'

How to keep kitchen retro theme with this booth?

If it's possible, I would paint the table. Perhaps in a gloss white. I would certainly remove the carpet on the island and the wall. I would paint the wall the same gray as the other walls and the island I would paint either the same gray if you wanted to keep it more neutral, or you could go with the teal of the banquette if you wanted to go bolder. I think orange would work well as an accent color to consider for art and for window treatments. I would get rid of the wood valances and window treatments over the sink and look for a roman shade that had some of the teal and orange or other accent color you choose.

Male 21st birthday party theme

How about a James Bond theme - Licensed to Grill!!!You can take many of the themes from the Bond films... but think of all the beach scenes:Dr No, Live and Let Die, Die another Day, you can find a lot of cool cocktails and then the odd squirt guns as well as amazing games to play:http://www.joke.co.uk/content/blog/2013/tips-for-hosting-a-james-bond-theme-party/

Redecorate Living room-Coastal theme

For a more "anchored" appearance I like the rug to slip under the first 1/3 of the sofa and extend past it by 10-15" on each side. With just the front feet on a rug it looks skimpy and appears to be an afterthought, IMO. Use painter's tape to tape out some sizes and when you find the one you like visually, go for it, or the next one up in size, rather than going down. My clients and I have always been pleased with the selection and service at homedecorators.com
  • drippy

Okay, so let's do this, since I expected folks might think of new ideas as time went along. I can still only work with 1-3 themes per person. But since sign-ups are until the 30th, if you want to change a theme before the 25th, or add one if you have less than 3, that would be okay, I think. I have already started, looking at some of these themes, thinking what seeds I can share, and I like to have a little lead time, so make your changes up through the 25th. Ishareflowers, have you come up with themes yet?

My themes are set in stone as honestly, I need more seeds like a hole in the head (but of course, I love swapping :D). I need to get rid of some! I will have a lot of good commercial seeds to share, albeit not rare, and I have been packaging up seeds from my garden. Despite still really learning how to garden in zone 9B (I've lived in 4 different growing zones in the last 10 years), I have managed to harvest 45 different varieties so far, varying amounts.

• faerygardener z7 CA

Oh, I love theme swaps. Like drippy, I do have PLENTY of seed to start (and I’ll send a reminder to her with my package that getting just a few back is a-ok), so if you don’t have seed to match my themes, don’t worry. My themes:

1. How Low Can You Go? Shorties - under 12 inches in flower. For firescaping, only very low plants should be planted near the home.

2. You Got me Singing the Blues - I’m still working to increase blue and purple flowering plants that survive my conditions (drought, sun & heat tolerant).

3. To contain it “There is no way to contain it, to contain it, to contain, to contain, to contain”. (Willy Wonka’s Welcome song) aka Potted Delights, Great container plants.

PLEASE NO - Nothing that grows above 18 inches tall (so no vines), no pink, no shade lovers, no veggies.

• drippy

Wow, this is really shaping up - I'm getting psyched, as I already have some ideas for some folks' themes that I KNOW will make them smile. Welcome, faerygardener!

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa)

#11 faerygardener - How Low Can You Go? (short, under 12", flowers); You Got Me Singing the Blues (blue and purple that survive drought, sun, heat); To Contain It (container plants, think Willy Wonka's Welcome song) NO: plants that grow above 18" tall, vines, pink flowers, shade lovers, veggies

• BenLovesBeets (Zone 7b)

Is here still a spot?! I'd love to join

• BenLovesBeets (Zone 7b)

3 themes...

1) container vegetables

2) tea time

3) medicinal herbs (good for skin care)

I am allergic to lavender and rosemary. So none of those please. I have super limited space and no real yard only a flower bed.

• drippy

There is indeed a spot, and welcome, Ben!

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa)

#12 BenLovesBeets, zone 7b - Container Vegetables, Tea Time, Medicinal Herbs (for skin care NO: lavender, rosemary (allergies!)

• jensyen ( z7 MD )

Kim, I can't participate this year but I'd like to send you my surplus seeds to distribute to the members in this swap. Your message button is not activated on your profile page where I was going to private message you for your mailing address.

• drippy

Hmm, I have sent and received messages from others...I will try to message you, jensyen.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )

Received your email and responded. Thanks, Jen

• drippy

Okay y'all, jensyen got me sleuthing here. I do not see the "Message" button that shows up on other people's profiles. I went to edit my profile, under advanced settings there is a question "Who can message me". I selected "Allow anyone to message me" and updated my info, but I still don't see a message button on my profile. Does anyone else see it? What am I doing wrong? I'd like to fix this if I can.

• janinilulu

Mine's the same!

• drippy

Janinilulu, I can see yours. I checked everyone that has signed up so far and can see the Message button on everyone's page, but I can't see my own. That may be just the way it works, but I'd like to know that you can message me if you want. Could someone please check and tell me whether they see the Message button on my page? Thanks!

• drippy

Okay, Patrob messaged me through my page, so apparently my Message button is visible to others, just not to myself. It may not have been active, Jensyen, when you tried to message me this afternoon - I did change a setting in my Advanced Settings. I am relieved thinking you can all direct questions to me when you need to.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )

Kim, I see a message button on your page now.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska

You are all good. We don't message ourselves so we don't see that button on our own profile pagesand we have to click another spot to check the messages. Heidi

• shp123

Yes, I would like to join. Not sure I understand all the rules yet, but will try. My 3 themes are: 1. Hobby (veg) farming 2. Cottage perennial flower.

• drippy

Welcome, shp123! If you have questions, you can post them here on the thread, where either one of the other players or myself will answer them, or you can message me directly.

Please note, y'all - I misread one of Zeak's theme descriptions, and will be updating it in the list as soon as I hear back from him that I have it right. Meanwhile, I am adding shp123.

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa)

#13 shp123 - Hobby (vegetable) Farming; Cottage Perennial Flowers

• audrey_gw

I'd like to join with the following themes:

"Black Is the Color of My True Love's Heart"--plants with dark-centered blooms

"Mysterious Mallows"--unusual members of the mallow family

"Out of Africa"--seeds of flowering houseplants or tropicals which originated in Africa, such as pelargoniums, streptocarpuses, etc.

• drippy

Welcome, Audrey! Updated list here - I haven't heard back from Zeak, but I did change his name theme criteria as I think he wants it. If I got it wrong again, and he lets me know, I will update it again.

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa)

#10 Zeak zone 8b - Flowers of Fragrance (prefer 4ft or less); My Name (flowers/vegetables with the letters Z, or START with the letters E,A, or K) NO: cruciferous or legumes

#14 audrey_gw - Black is the Color of My True Love's Heart (plants with dark-centered blooms); Mysterious Mallows (unusual members of the mallow family); Out of Africa (houseplants/tropicals that originated in Africa)

• Like
    • Save
  • poisondartfrog

She can't post, so here are ishareflowers' themes. Great ones!

1. Ruffle My Feathers...plants with ruffled or feathered blooms.

2. Short and Sweet Annuals

3. Orange and Lovely (orange, peach, apricot)

She wouldn't want vegetable, herb or tree seeds.

• drippy

Huh, wonder why she can't post - well, she is getting my messages, anyway, and that's important, because that is how I will send my address at the end of signups. So here we go with another update, and thanks, poisondartfrog:

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa) - Ruffle My Feathers (plants with ruffled or feathered blooms); Short and Sweet Annuals; Orange and Lovely (Orange, Peach, Apricot) NO: vegetables, herbs or trees

• BenLovesBeets (Zone 7b)

Could I add nothing unsafe for small children or pets since I'll be growing all of this on an enclosed patio where my son and dog play, the dog is often unattended for bouts of time.

• drippy

Of course!

#12 BenLovesBeets, zone 7b - Container Vegetables, Tea Time, Medicinal Herbs (for skin care NO: lavender, rosemary (allergies!), plants unsafe for small children or pets

• primrose1x3

May I join? Flower Themes are -

1. Blues, glorious blues - from amethyst embedded in Niebelungen cave walls along the Rhine River, to azure of Aegean seas, to blue of bluebirds we used to see flocking along the Patapsco River around here when ice and snow ruled in February - anything blue - saturated or maybe just a smidgeon in close colors on the spectrum. would like plants that cover the ground, like vinca which I already have, or self-sowers like myosotis which I already have, or nemophila which I don't have - shade or sun - low or not-too-biggish - don't have joe-pye-weed, and would love a more compact form than the species

2. Mystical Moonflowers like crepuscular Silenes, woodchuck-resistant wormwoods and moon-reflecting ivory flowers...white/pale Dianthus...white Lychnis chalcedonica

3. Orange & related hues of apricot, chamois, ecru - happy inside pots or self-sowing outside pots

(ps - my woodchuck resistant plant list is here: https://garden.org/blogs/manage/preview/5596

• drippy

Welcome, primrose 1x3! Lol, your Blues description is pretty comprehensive, and a good reminder - Players, please check back through the thread to individual postings, as I only summarize the themes in my list. New updated list:

#15 primrose1x3 - Blues, Glorious Blues (amethyst to azure, blue spectrum, self sowers or groundcovers preferred); Mystical Moonflowers (moon reflecting ivories, woodchuck resistant); Orange, Apricot, Chamois, Ecru (Container or self-sowing in orange spectrum shades)

• Like
    • Save
  • drippy

Hi, folks - a couple of changes from ishareflowers; please note. Any other changes, get 'em to me quick - just six more days left for sign ups, and I'd really like to have changes in place in the next day or so. That way folks can start packaging/collecting seeds for those who have already signed up, as I have to receive them by November 15. I will send you all my address and guidelines for sending on October 30.

#5 ishareflowers (Lisa) - Ruffle My Feathers (plants with ruffled or feathered blooms); Short and Sweet Annuals; Orange You Lovely (Orange, Peach, Apricot - already have marigolds and cosmos) NO: vegetables, herbs or trees

• drippy

Just as a possible way of doing things, although by no means required: this weekend, I am starting to put together seeds from my stash for players who have already signed up. The way I am doing this is with a list, database style (although I do it by hand, lol), with player's name, theme 1, theme 2, theme 3, NO list as columns. Then I go through my "Seeds I Have" list (25 pages single spaced; now you know why I need to find homes for some!) and pull matching seeds, putting them in a bag for that player. That may give you some ideas. It also creates a list, so I can easily see how many packs I've given and whether I am duplicating anyone else's efforts when your seeds arrive.

• shp123

wow... seems like a lot of work. Thank you for your time and effort!

• janinilulu

primrose1x3, clicking on the woodchuck resistant plants link resulted in an 'access denied' message. Is is just me?

• midwestfarmwife

Count me in too! I would like to use a couple of my past themes:

Simply Scentsational - flowers that are fragrant

Old Faithful - perennial flowers that come back year after year

Eye Candy - pretty annuals.

On my no list:

Weeds - Milkweed, Purple Iron Weed, Golden Rod, etc.

Trees or shrubs.

Echinacea - except Cheyenne Spirit

Anything on my have list

Foxglove or Datura

• primrose1x3

janilulu, I dunno. When it comes to 'pooters, I'm still in the flint-stone chipping stage. Sooo - hope this is all right to post the list here -

Woodchuck Resistant Plants
    (from Penn State Cooperative Extension)
    https://ecosystems.psu.edu/res...

source doc (below), alphabetized:

Achillea sp. (Yarrow)
    Aconitum sp. (Monkshood)
    Ageratum houstonianum
    Allium schoenoprasum (Chives)
    Allium tuberosum (Garlic Chives)
    Amsonia tabernaemontana
    Anemone blanda (Windflower)
    Antirrhinum majus (Snapdragon)
    Artemisia sp. (Wormwood)
    Asarum candense (Wild Ginger)
    Asclepias tuberosa (Butterfly Weed)
    Astilbe sp.
    Calluna sp. (Heather)
    Ceratostigma plumbaginoides (Plumbago)
    Convallaria majalis (Lily-of-the-Valley)
    Coreopsis verticillata (Threadleaf Coreopsis)
    Delphinium sp.
    Dennstaedtia punctilobula (Hay-scented Fern)
    Dianthus sp. (includes Carnation, Pinks, Sweet William)
    Dicentra eximia (Fringed Bleeding-heart)
    Dicentra spectabilis (Bleeding Heart)
    Digitalis sp. (Foxglove)
    Festuca ovina var. glauca (Blue Fescue)
    Foeniculum vulgare (Fennel)
    Gaillardia pulchella
    Galium odoratum (Sweet Woodruff)
    Gypsophila paniculata (Baby's Breath)
    Helleborus sp.
    Hemerocallis 'Stella d'Oro' (Daylily cv.)
    Heuchera americana)
    Iris sp.
    Lavandula sp. (Lavender)
    Lobularia maritima (Sweet Alyssum)
    Melissa officinalis Lemon Balm
    Narcissus sp. (Daffodil)
    Nepeta catarina (Catmint)
    Nicotiana alata (Flowering Tobacco)
    Oenothera tetragona (Sundrops)
    Paeonia sp. (Peony)
    Pelargonium citrosum (Geranium, Citronella)
    Perovskia atriplicifolia (Russian Sage)
    Polystichum acrostichoides (Christmas Fern)
    Rudbeckia sp.
    Saponaria officinalis (Soapwort)
    Sedum sp.
    Stachys byzantina (Lamb's Ears)
    Tanacetum parthenium (Feverfew) (syn. Chrysanthemum parthenium)
    Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare)
    Thymus sp

Tweaking the above list, I'd prefer different species or cultivars of alliums, coreopsis, gaillardia, nepeta, nicotiana, oenothera (white), pelargonium, Saponaria, stachys, tanacetum & tansy - low growing.

I haven't figured out how to use my GW home page either - things are rather unsettled at home right now.

yours in dinosaur-hood,

karen

• drippy

Welcome, midwestfarmwife! Updated list:

#16 midwestfarmwife - Simply Scentsational (fragrant flowers); Old Faithful (long-lived perennials); Eye Candy (pretty annuals) NO: weeds (milkweed, purple ironweed, goldenrod, etc), trees or shrubs, echinacea except Cheyenne Spirit, anything on my have list, foxglove or datura)

• Like
    • Save
  • luvsgrtdanes

Hi guys, I sent Drippy a message but wanted to let you all know I'll be backing out of the swap. I'm really sorry but I got in over my head with too much stuff at one time and I just can't commit to this like I'd like to.

• drippy

We will miss luvsgrtdanes, for sure. Here is an updated list - for simplicity's sake, and for those of you who, like me, have started to match seeds with players, I am leaving the original numbers the way they are. Sorry if that bugs the tidy among us!

• browneyedsusan_gw

Please sign me up!

My themes:

If you can't take the heat, get out of my garden: annual or perennial flowers that can take heat and drought

Glow-in-the-dark: shade-loving plants/flowers

Leave it alone: plants with pretty foliage

Please, NO invasive plants, weeds, etc.

Thanks,

Susan

• drippy

Welcome, browneyedsusan_gw! Updated list:

#17 browneyedsusan_gw - If You Can't Take the Heat, Get Out of My Garden (annuals and perennials for heat and drought); Glow-In-The-Dark (shade loving plants/flowers); Leave It Alone (plants with pretty foliage) NO: invasive plants, weeds

• drippy

Tomorrow (October 30) is the last day to sign up, so if you know anyone who has been on the fence, now is the time! I really can't take late signups - I have already started packaging seeds so that I am not running behind on returns. Watch your messages tomorrow and Thursday; I will send shipping info and a few guidelines, hopefully answering a few questions. Remember, if you have questions, either message me directly (via the Message button on my page), or post them here - I get notifications from Houzz whenever any new messages or posts happen.

Let the fun begin!

• Unnati Hall

1. Alice in Wonderland

2. Pretty to look at and eat - edible flowers/plants

3. Black crows - all black flowering plants

Zone 9B

This is going to be fun!

• drippy

Welcome Unnati Hall! In under the wire, and a fellow 9b-er (I'm Central Florida). Here's the updated list:

#18 Unnati Hall, zone 9b - Alice in Wonderland; Pretty to Look At and Eat (edible flowers/plants), Black Crows (all black flowering plants)

• Like
    • Save
  • mtprairiewinds

Just coming across this. I'll join.

#1 Dainty with a Touch of Tough Love (Beautiful Blooms that can survive up North with high winds)

#2 One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater (Anything that looks like it has eyes, horns, wings, and/or puple blooms)

#3 Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend (Something that can get hard pressed and come out looking beautiful- Montana high desert will be the crushing force)

No milkweed, calendula, peppers, squash or melons

• drippy

Hi, all - I have sent out info, supposedly successfully, to the first players on the list up through Faerygardener. For some reason, Houzz started bouncing my messages starting with BenLovesBeets. This probably is an anti-bot policy, so maybe good. I will try again in the morning to get the info to the rest of you. If that doesn't work, I will go to a different plan.

I also plan on starting a new thread tomorrow, to let me know when your seeds are sent, and for me to let you know when yours are on the way back to you. You will need to keep tabs on this one, though, to read through theme descriptions as you are preparing your seeds.

Let the games begin!

• mtprairiewinds

Forgot to add my zone- I'm in zone 2

• drippy

Another new arrival - welcome mtprairiewinds! Updated list:

#7 hibiscusfan, zone 6 - Pop Goes the Weasel; Red Hot Mama; Singing the Blues

#9 janinilulu, zone 6 - A Cup of Tea (anything useful for tea, including fruits and vegetables); Blues and Purples (annuals in shades of blues and strong purples, including fruits and vegetables); Magic and Medicine (medicinal/magical plants, including fruits and vegetables)

#13 shp123, zone 7a - Hobby (vegetable) Farming; Cottage Perennial Flowers

#15 primrose1x3, zone 7a - Blues, Glorious Blues (amethyst to azure, blue spectrum, self sowers or groundcovers preferred); Mystical Moonflowers (moon reflecting ivories, woodchuck resistant); Orange, Apricot, Chamois, Ecru (Container or self-sowing in orange spectrum shades)

#17 browneyedsusan_gw, zone 8a - If You Can't Take the Heat, Get Out of My Garden (annuals and perennials for heat and drought); Glow-In-The-Dark (shade loving plants/flowers); Leave It Alone (plants with pretty foliage) NO: invasive plants, weeds

#19 mtprairiewinds, zone 2 - Dainty With a Touch of Tough Love (beautiful blooms that can survive up north with high winds); One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater (anything that looks like it has eyes, horns, wings or purple blooms); Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend (anything that can get hard pressed and come out looking beautiful - Montana high desert will be the crushing force) NO: milkweed, calendula, peppers, squash, or melons

• drippy

Okay, I am about to start a new thread. Houzz is still bouncing my attempts to get messages through. Since it hasn't been 24 hours since I got the last group through, I will try again later tonight. If that fails, I will post an email address for you to contact me directly - I prefer not to openly post my email address, but will if I have to. Another angle we could try, if you see this, would be to have you message me through Houzz and see if I can reply to that. This affects the following players: BenLovesBeets, shp123, audrey_gw, primrose1x3, midwestfarmwife, browneyedsusan_gw, Unnati Hall, and mtprairiewinds. The rest of you should have my contact information; message me if you didn't get it.

Gotta love technology!

• sandlapper_rose

drippy, I didn't get your address and tried to message you through Houzz and I get an error reading and it's not going through. Perhaps someone who has my information from the FOTESS or OBF group can send your address to me by message or email. Thanks!

• drippy

I am having no luck with messaging through Houzz. Please email me at wheeleryeaton@gmail.com, indicating that this is Theme Garden Swap in the subject line (so I don't think it's spam), include and email address, and I will send all the info from my main computer. The gmail address is an alternate email address for me.

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio

Did you get my pkg?

• mtprairiewinds

Drippy- My package arrived today. Thanks so much!