jamie_z7bhz8

Veggie Tales - November 2019

Jamie

Happy November! It looks like many of us are getting our first temperatures at or below freezing - and some got some snow!

November snuck up on us - but remind yourselves that Spring will be here soon!

• Jamie

Good luck, all!

It was in the upper teens when I left home this morning a little before 6. It's sunny now but only 28! I'll check on the garden when I get home this afternoon. It's going to be in the 40s tomorrow and the 50s this weekend, thankfully.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Cindy-I'm retired doing gardening therapy. I meant I'm taking a day off of retirement!

The snow is sticking to paved surfaces. The ground must be absorbing the cold. My brassicas shriveled up. The pear tree leaves are droopy, they hang in there too long. Maybe that's why they like to grow columnar??? I just checked the weather channel, it's dropped to 26°, if I can believe them. Should be called the Whether Channel.

• RD Texas

It was 34 here this morning and it is 43 now. I moved the tomato plants inside but everything else is going to have to make it on their own. It is supposed to be 28 in the morning

• vgkg Z-7 Va

Picked the most mature cabbages and broccoli today before the temp plunge, hope the less mature ones make it through this coming 2 nights of 20F cold snap ok. Got about 1.5" of snow so hoping that insulates them as well as the remaining collards, spinach, turnips, and carrots. Over 2 weeks before Thxgiving and it snows? Upper 30's tomorrow for the high.

• cindy_7

No snow here, vgkg. Currently 33 degrees.

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

Richard - Good luck. I hope the weather guessers are wrong on your predicted low. I’m glad you were able to save the tomatoes.

• cindy_7

Richard - Does your house have a heating system?

• RD Texas

Yes it does Cindy, but I also use the little electric heaters I plug in and point towards the tomato plants-it works pretty well

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Apparently the state, county and or township road crews don't read this thread. This afternoon I stated paved surfaces were starting to not melt the snow that was falling. In the evening rush hour there was a massive traffic disaster about 2 or 3 miles north of here. People reportedly spent an hour traveling a mile. Would of been quicker to walk. Folks said it took them 3 hours to get home from work. Folks were waiting for the salt trucks on a two lane road. Sounded like a story from Atlanta.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Len - I hope you sent the Dahlias to John rather than me. I believe he and Margi were the ones who responded to your offer. If you sent them to me I'm sure I can find somewhere to plant them in the spring.

I was out yesterday to have the old roto rooter procedure done at the hospital. Got a good report card and I'm glad that's done for another 5 years! It was 7F when we left for the procedure in the morning. We got about an inch of snow on Monday afternoon. It's a balmy 21 this morning. I'm looking forward to the warm up starting Friday. We're supposed to have highs in the 50s most of next week and lows above freezing.

I forgot to report that I got 100% germination in under 6 days on the first 4 varieties of tomato seeds that I saved. I started another 4 varieties on Saturday and they should start sprouting today.. I have them on a heat mat. It sure is a shame to toss such fine seedlings but I saved a ton of seeds so no big loss there.

• RD Texas

It is 34 degrees now supposed to have lows in the 30s for the next 3 days

• Jamie

These dreary days make me antsy for growing stuff ... so, yesterday, I ordered some seeds to start as houseplants. That'll give me something to do until it's time to start the outdoor plants haha. I have slacked off on microgreens also (it's been a hectic few weeks), so I will start a tray of them as well.

It is 15 at home right now, with an expected high of 45 today.

• cindy_7

That's cold, Jamie. It was only down to 22 here. Dulles was 21 and tied a record. Winds prevented frost from forming, surprisingly.

John - There were a number of places where the snow greatly impacted travel yesterday. Family in Michigan had areas completely shutdown county wide. And not too far from Cleveland, the roads were treacherous, though they still had school. 85 car pile up in Ohio. Nothing was done to treat the roads there (according to family).

• Kevin Zone 6b - PIT, PA

John - It never ceases to amaze me how stingy the crews are with salt leading up to the first couple storms. On my way home last night you could tell they hit some of the bridges (not all), but the roads were left completely untreated. Black ice everywhere. Took me about an hour to get 15 minutes away which isnt as bad as what you noted but still....

Don't they watch Channel 2, 4, 11, 53? Each broadcast has 7 different live action reporters describing each and every snowflake falling.

Here's two of the jars of fermented goodness.

Left is habanero/scotch bonnet/ghost chili/and any red or orange pepper I could find. Right is jalepeno poblano. Both are heavily garlic'ed and onion'ed (those are words, right?). The orange sauce has a lot of shredded carrots also to try to tone it down just a tad.

Each jar received a teaspoonful of my fermenting garlic honey to get the good bacteria going quickly. They took off - bubbling over sometime in the middle of the night. Note to self - put the jars in a tupperware or other secondary containment (you'd think I would have learned by now).

They will chug away for a week or two then get puree'd, loosely strained, and cut with various acids (lime juice, lemon juice, vinegars) to taste. Usually end up with around the same original volume after cutting and straining. So I should end up with around 2 gallons, or 50 so 5 oz woozy bottles full. Friends and family have already been hounding me over them!

ETA - if you decide to do this - dont fill the jars past 3/4 full.

• vgkg Z-7 Va

Here's yesterday's chow-chow quota of 10 qts, first time in 10 years that we've had to pick green tomatoes this late in the season. Also, yesterday's snow as it slowly melts today, from left to right : collards, broccoli, cabbages, spinach, and beets. Carrots off screen...

• Kevin Zone 6b - PIT, PA

Confirmed that we broke the all time cold temp record in Pittsburgh last night - 12F. My outdoor weather station had a low of 11F and the hoophouse got down to 19F.

Vgkg - that Chow Chow looks delish! I have some green tomatoes still I didnt know what to do with them.

• RD Texas

Sweet potatoes from one of the containers-Sugar Rush Peach peppers, Fish peppers, & Serrano peppers

• RD Texas

Giant Kohlrabi

• RD Texas

Giant Kohlrabi-Sugar Rush Peach peppers before they are fully peach colored

• RD Texas

Sugar Rush Peach (16 peppers) and Thai hot sauce (25 peppers)

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Jack-If you get my dahlias be sure to post a picture so we can enjoy them. Haha

Kevin-We got maybe a half inch of snow after it started laying on paved surfaces. But! It was an indication that the roads would freeze. I liked the way Frank Rizzo handled snow when he was mayor of Philly about 50 years ago. Any snow showers produced about an inch. Cause he put down an inch of salt before it got there. I didn't know it got that cold last night. No news today.

Len NW 7a

Thanks for alerting me Jack...was able to cancel the click and ship to you. Need address John if you sent before I lost it.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Len-You have a PM.... I thimk.

Len NW 7a

Got it John and tubers are on the way.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Dund trying to shine thru thin clouds, not too cold but windy. Would have done some digging but I can hear the slushing just walking thru the grass. So another day off from retirement!

• cindy_7

Down to 21 here last night and the high today was only 39. Cleaned up a few things outside but that was it. Tomorrow will be the warmest day this week and then it's going to get cold again for the weekend.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

It's in the low 20s here this morning but it's supposed to warm up into the 50s this afternoon and the highs will be in the mid to upper 50s for the next week.

My company is having a Chiefs Rally at lunchtime. Grilled burgers and hot dogs will be served. They are also having a drawing with some nice prizes...a Mahomes signed jersey, Travis Kelsey signed football, Tyreek Hill football, and several pairs of tickets to remaining home games. I want the Mahomes Jersey!

My second batch of germination tests on saved seed is going well. About 3/4 of the seeds have germinated so far after 5.5 days. I'll start a 3rd batch this weekend on some of the dwarf varieties.

Here are the results of my 2019 tomato production.

Variety, # Plants, # harvested, Total Weight

Black from Tula
    1
    37
    19.5
    Bolseno
    1
    127
    35.75
    Brandywine Suddeth
    1
    17
    13.75
    Dwarf Beauty King
    1
    8
    4.25
    Dwarf Brandyfred
    1
    19
    5.75
    Dwarf Mr. Snow
    1
    10
    4
    Dwarf Rosella Purple
    1
    8
    2.25
    Dwarf Tasmanian Chocolate
    1
    22
    4.25
    Dwarf Wild Fred
    1
    10
    2
    German Johnson
    1
    24
    16.25
    Girl Girl's Weird Thing
    1
    31
    20.5
    Jaune Flemme
    1
    147
    13.75
    JD's Special C-tex
    1
    7
    3
    KBX
    1
    35
    26.5
    Livingston's yellow oxheart
    1
    28
    14.5
    Lucky Cross
    1
    13
    11.5
    Neve's Azorean Red
    1
    24
    14.75
    Pineapple
    1
    43
    19
    Pink Ping Pong
    1
    320
    20.75
    Pruden's purple
    1
    35
    23.25
    Rebel Yell
    1
    41
    24.25
    Wes
    1
    40
    32.25
    Super Sweet 100
    1

Lots

12

Sungold
    1

Lots
    16

• Kevin Zone 6b - PIT, PA

Bolseno for the win right?! Thanks to Tony I think we all will be growing Bolseno for years to come.

I am thinking of having it be my primary plant in the hoophouse. Maybe 20 plants or so. And trying some BHN varieties too.

Goodluck on getting that jersey! That’s a cool thing for your work to do.

• RD Texas

Jack, Good luck on the Mahomes jersey. Hopefully the Chiefs and Cowboys will get back on track this week

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Kevin - Bolseno is definitely a very nice tomato but I think I still prefer Big Beef for a round,red hybrid because the average size is larger. In the past I've usually averaged about 7 oz. on Big Beef compared to the 4.5 oz. that Bolseno averaged this year. I usually get a few 1 pounders from Big Beef and IIRC the largest Bolseno I picked was 11 oz. I think next year I'm going to grow 2 or 3 Big Beef and one Bolseno.

I like my chances on winning the Mahomes jersey lottery...1 in ~500. Much better than Powerball!

• cindy_7

Jack - Sounds like a fun day at work today. Good luck. Will everyone be allowed to leave after lunch?

Did any of you watch the game last night? It got pretty ugly.

Freezing again overnight, but should warm up more today. Still need to clean up more outside.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

CIndy - they are not letting everyone leave after lunch unfortunately. I have a 1:30 meeting scheduled and then I plan to leave after that is over. I have next Monday and Tuesday off for deer hunting and I'm ready to get out of here! I also have 10 straight days off starting next Friday until Dec. 2. I'm looking forward to that!

I didn't watch last night's game but I saw a short clip of the brawl. That Browns player won't be playing again this year and maybe next year as well. A few other players should also be suspended.

• vgkg Z-7 Va

The recent light snow and 2 nights of lower 20's hasn't appeared to affect the fall crops too much but it definitely slowed them down a bit. Mid to lower nite time 30's predicted for the next week or so. It's very striking how the trees, just about all of them, dropped their leaves over night with one big thud. Raking time today though it's wet, cold, and cloudy outside, the winds are expected to pick up over the weekend as the coastal storm passes by, the Va/NC coastline will be hammered hard.

• RD Texas

Cindy, I watched the game and Garrett will get ejected for the rest of the season. He is really lucky too, if he would have hit him with the crown of the helmet when he was swinging it and not the padded botton part Rudolph would be in the hospital and he would be looking at a lifetime ban. He is a total idiot too-there were 15 seconds left in the game and his team was up two touchdowns-that is a very good indication that he is Bipolar or the steroids were raging out of control-that was just ridiculous. If I were in the NFL I sure wouldn't want to be on the field with someone with no impulse control or executive functionality. The Steelers should come after him with everything they have-what kind of punk tries to fight the QB? Garrett is also lucky he didn't get his jaw broken by one of those right hooks Pouncey was throwing. The Steelers players shouldn't even get a fine since they were just protecting their QB

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

I thought the game looked like Steelers games from the 1960's. And the brawl reminded me of Bengals football.

I'm off to the pulmonary doc this afternoon, then I may finish my last potato bed.

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

Len - Thanks! The mail carrier delivered a package from you today. Now, I have to figure out how to store them and when to plant in the spring.

Len NW 7a

Margi I keep mine in a cardboard box (dark) in garage. stays 40 - 50 in there. about middle of Feb i check for any rotting. plant at same time as tomatoes, just lay down in 6" deep hole and cover up. don't get will too rich, they will grow in gravel, and do not water until sprouts come up.they need support and space just like tomatoes

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

Len - How tall(ish) will these get? Do you know the color?

Everybody else - Sorry, I'd go offline with my questions to Len, but I can not figure out how to start a dialog in a message directly to him! Grrr...

• Jamie

MargI- don’t worry about discussing dahlias! we Can all learn something!

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

I also received a package. Thanks Len. I read you plant them in spring in the Baker Creek big catalog.

It occurred to me late this afternoon: I was watching a football game and a hockey game broke out.

Len NW 7a

Margi,

If you search on the name most of those dahlias are on line.Here is one example https://www.dahlias.com/purpletaiheijo-item140.aspx

I gave you an assortment to get you started but most will grow 3-4' tall and 2' wide. You can easily develop an obsession around these beauties. Here is a link to good information about making them happy.
    https://www.dahlia.org/growing/fundamentals-of-growing-dahlias/ Pay attention to disbudding it is key to lovely cut flowers.

• RD Texas

John, do you know how you can tell it wasn't a hockey game? The action doesn't stop in a hockey game. They don't have 30 penalties a game to destroy the action. You can challenge a call in hockey, but if you get it wrong the other team goes on the power play for 4 minutes. I love hockey just wish my wimpy team would make a run-they have been on a finals drought almost as long as their sister team the Cowgirls, uh Cowboys

• cindy_7

Len - Thanks for the offer of dahlias. I thought about growing some, but they are one of those flowers that are borderline as deer food. Since I've eliminated most of the flowers that deer like I've had much less damage from them so I decided not to grow them. But they are so beautiful!

It stayed above freezing here last night. That will not happen tonight.

I was able to plant approximately 280 onion sets yesterday and still have a few more to go.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Jack-I went to a 76ers basketball game in Philly many decades ago. They stop the game every 3 seconds. They spend 5 minutes walking slowly down the other end of the court and dribbling the ball and then getting a feel for the ball endlessly. They shoot one foul shot and it takes a minute or two to get the feel for the ball after it was, apparently, seriously altered by hitting the backboard. Then they spend forever inbounding the ball. I fell asleep and made up my mind to never go to another game, and haven't.

If this actor is thrown out of football this won't happen for a generation or two. Otherwise this will continue. And his team mate gets a 3 game suspension for defending him. This would be like a man charged with murder and after spending 18 months in Rikers and 3 weeks listening to the prosecution, the defense attorney finally gives the jury the information that the defendants wife was shot in bed and the defendant shot the home invader because he had a pistol at bedside.

It also has occurred to me that the official there made no attempt to stop this. I only remember Rudolph raising his hands to the official who was right there. If he'd restrained the actor the fracas would have likely ended.

It seems to me we have a different class of individual in sports today. Players have no team spirit. They only care about money. They have no respect for rules or even their contracts. If I were the owner of the Steelers the chest and his pot smoking partner would still be inactive members of the Steelers.

Len NW 7a

John I totally agree about the class of individuals in sports today.

• cindy_7

The class? There is no class. The "athletes" only care about the bottom line.

It stayed above freezing here overnight last night. Hope that they stay that way tonight.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Cindy=You're right.

Finished the potato bed yesterday. Today I spent a little time spreading a little manure over the first potato bed to start my second dig. But I spread a little manure over the blueberry bed and then covered that with year old wood chips. There's very little wood left in the chips, it just looks like compost. They say not to use manure in blueberries but these were raised on it since they were pups.

• cindy_7

John - Do you ever plant potatoes now to overwinter for a spring harvest?

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Cindy-I don't have a lot of experience growing potatoes. I never had the room for more than a plant or two. My opinion is that the plants don't do well in the cold, but I think the spuds do well in late fall with freezing temps. As I remember the plants get problems with cold temps when young.

Potatoes do grow as volunteers from spuds left in the ground over winter, but I don't know what percentage of the potatoes overwintering actually sprout the following spring.

My reason for doing all this digging is because in my opinion we shouldn't plant root and leafy crops in soil where manure was added in the same season.

I want to apologize for my sports comments which were too long and perhaps too critical. I bring this up as not all sports figures fit into my criticism. Andrew McCutchhen, formerly of the Pirates, was in the news all weekend working for the people here. He doesn't play here but still lives here.

Cindy- Are you suggesting I plant some potatoes as a test???? I like the idea......

• cindy_7

John - I frequently miss a number of the potatoes (usually the very small ones) when I dig them each year. Those that I miss don't always put up growth in the fall but they are the first to emerge in the spring, ahead of the potatoes that I plant.

Had some drizzle overnight and more is predicted for this evening. We need it.