Software
Houzz Logo Print
justann2

Extra large mirrors in dining/living - too outdated?

6 years ago



Comments (21)

  • 6 years ago

    Yes

  • 6 years ago

    Looks like a gym sorry

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Ugh. No Tata!

  • 6 years ago

    Yes

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Not "outdated" but just wrong. Was never "in."

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I agree they were never in and best gone now. Get some nice large pieces of art.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I like a classic, somewhat ornate mirror in a dining room, but agree that these are reminiscent of a gym. Some here have a strong distaste for mirrors of any kind in a dining room, but IMO they can be a lovely feature if done well.





  • 6 years ago

    I think it’s a matter of personal preference and the space. I put our giant mirror on our dining room wall in our last rental and it really opened up the loft-like room. I’m planning to put a different mirror across on the dining room wall in our new build across from 9ft French doors to reflect the light.

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    IMO, I never liked them...

  • 6 years ago

    I love how mirrors bounce light and make a room feel more spacious. They can look good in a dining room as IdaClaire shared. It's a matter of personal preference. The picture you shared could be mistaken for a gym and I'm not sure if mirrors would make sense in your particular dining room without seeing the whole room.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Easily corrected with nice frames, IMO. Don't know what look you're going for, but you could glam these up with cool frames. Could be the basis for a very fun eclectic look. The last photo shows framed wallpaper or textiles (hard to see which) but just referencing the frame.



    Kingsall Road · More Info


    Vancouver Residence · More Info


    British Colonial meets Modern Beach House - Ocean Blvd · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    The first question you need to answer is whether the view will be worthwhile. If it reflects a kitchen with piles of dishes, the answer is no. If the reflection is a beautiful mountain view, the answer could be yes, keep them.

  • 6 years ago

    If people can see themselves or otherS eating it’s not good, IMO.

  • 6 years ago

    But... when you are gathered around the dining table sharing a meal, you're seeing people eating, right? And for those who say it makes people watch themselves eat, well, I don't even know how to respond to that. If you watch yourself eat, that sounds like a personal problem to me. ;) Mirrors in the dining room can reflect chandelier and candle lighting, as well as the faces of loved ones. And those are all lovely things, so if you like mirrors in your dining room, you shouldn't hesitate to use them. Just make sure they're attractive in their own right.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I agree with Anne Duke--it's unnerving to have a mirror in a dining room and be able to see yourself eat. Of course, watching others during a meal is interacting; watching yourself is narcissism.

  • 6 years ago

    Well, that was pretty much my point. Who sits and watches themselves eat? That's not the purpose of dining room mirrors.

  • 6 years ago

    I'm in the sometimes yes, more often no camp re:dining room mirrors. Most often, I see them used as a "safe" default. Not really enhancing the space or the experience.

  • 6 years ago

    Mirrors are used in plenty of restaurants for their visual trick of expanding a room and bouncing light. They can be used in a residential setting for the same reasons.

  • 6 years ago

    I am not sure if mirrors are good in the dining room, I know alot of people that feel put out by mirrors! Why not art something to talk about after dinner!

  • 6 years ago

    I'm also voting to remove the mirrors. You already have gorgeous windows to bring in natural light, and art would be more interesting.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars40 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21