Software
Houzz Logo Print
ajm27

Sink selection - soapstone countertop and brass taps

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Would love to do a soapstone sink but our fabricator said they're difficult and costly. (?) Worried that a run of the mill black sink won't look right with the soapstone. I could be wrong. Any suggestions?


Edited to add: 24" wide cabinet, undermount sink

Comments (34)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Stainless steel.


  • 6 years ago

    They do make brass sinks to match your faucet. Might be a special order.

  • 6 years ago

    Is this for a bar area or kitchen? We’re doing navy cabs in our barwith soapstone or black leathered granite tops (haven’t selected yet). Brass faucet and cab hardware. I was thinking about a black Blanco sink but I think we’re just going to do stainless. Less stress about matching and less money.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    AJM27, stainless steel? (Although I don't love the sound of even the higher priced ones). If your fabricator seems unsure about doing a sink, perhaps look for a different fabricator? If using soapstone, I highly recommend using only a soapstone specialist. Not sure where you are located? General stone yards do not know enough, generally, about soapstone. It is a fabulous option - we just decided on soapstone for our kitchen reno (we used it in our old reno and loved it). That said, my perimeter cabs are going to be white so I may go (again) with the Kohler Whitehaven sink, which looked sharp with my soapstone and cabs last time. In my navy island, I am also doing soapstone with a 2nd sink. I plan on talking to my guy about the pros/cons of going with soapstone sinks as opposed to white cast iron....

  • 6 years ago

    @eam44 - thanks but the color combo just looks off to me.


    @Aglitter - I didn't think about that option. Thanks!


    @Jennifer Beck - for a kitchen. What about white? Not sure of your style but I see the combo in some old-world kitchens.

  • 6 years ago


    PA soapstone with a Kohler Whitehaven sink.

  • 6 years ago

    White is a good idea and looks great in picture from abouttogetdusty

  • 6 years ago

    What color are your cabinets? I think white can look great (as int he picture above) but only if there is other white in the kitchen cabinets or backsplash.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    @AboutToGetDusty - We tried! I guess soapstone isn't used much in Pittsburgh. I think I called almost every fab shop about having drain lines put in my soapstone. Only one place will do it. I'll be on pins and needles until it is finished. It has been a nightmare, but I was adamant about using soapstone in my kitchen. As for the sink, I opted out of an apron front/farmhouse style. Now I think that may have been a bad choice.


    Just saw the photo - holy crap that is stunning!!!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Ajm27, make sure you take a sample home then and test it out. Our PA Soapstone (pictured above) was almost indestructible! Kohler makes really nice cast iron undermount sinks too. Since the Kohler fire, people have had trouble getting the cast iron sinks in other colors, but perhaps that has been resolved? I know sea salt is a popular choice in addition to white. We are doing an apron front on the perimeter but undermount sink in our island. Good luck!

  • 6 years ago

    @Kristin S - the color is magnolia and we went with inset cabinetry. Our walls are just a touch off white in this color.

  • 6 years ago

    I think white works just as well with a standard sink as with a farmhouse sink. Neither of these pictures highlights the sinks, but you can at least get the idea.

    Rosemary Woods Classic Kitchen · More Info


    Tea Fire Residence · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    Pretty colors. I would think about a Blanco Silgranite type sink, and see if you can compare swatches of White and Biscuit as possibilities.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks, @Kristin S!! I will check them out :) Appreciate the help!

  • 6 years ago

    @AboutToGetDusty - sample of the stone?

  • 6 years ago

    Yes, no matter what counter you pick, insist on a sample of the stone. Even if it's a 4" square of the slab. I am going to my soapstone guy tomorrow to pick up samples to see if I still want PA or a different type and to look at specific slabs. I will bring them home and test them out - with lemon juice, red wine, tomato, a butter knife. You should make sure the soapstone acts like soapstone and not something else.

  • 6 years ago

    Ugh, I couldn't face the upkeep on a white sink. Stainless all the way.


    Our Products · More Info


    Waynesboro Soapstone Installation · More Info


    Sixties Spiffed · More Info


  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    24" cabinet means quite a small sink for your main kitchen sink. For example, a 23" wide sink needs a 26" cabinet. Your cabinet is 24". Unless you are buying a custom sink, you will just be looking at bar sinks in this size. I think you will not be happy with this over the long run. Any possibility to make it wider?

  • 6 years ago

    Agree with acm. I cannot wait to rip out our white sink and replace with a SS one.

  • 6 years ago

    @acm / @Harry Doyle - but with brass taps and hardware??


    @M Miller - while this is technically our main kitchen, we have a back kitchen that contains a 32" sink. our layout is a bit unconventional. fortunately, the back kitchen will have polished nickel hardware so stainless steel was an easy choice. our main kitchen (which houses the range and island) will have a small prep sink for handwashing, rinsing, etc.

  • 6 years ago

    I went with a white cast iron sink for my cleanup sink and a white Silgranite for my prep sink. (I have the opposite problem with SS sinks; probably because of my water I could never get that SS sink to look clean.) Also, FYI the white Silgranite has flecks of


    gray in it. Not a problem for me, but one should be aware. Anyway, here’s a photo, taken before all the cabinet pulls were installed, of the leathered Virginia Mist granite countertop with the cleanup sink; not the best image but you get the idea.

  • 6 years ago

    ACM, Barkeepers Friend with a wet sponge is quick & easy way to make a white sink look new again! Having a grate at the bottom of a white sink helps too. I find stainless sinks look way more worn and spotty.

  • 6 years ago

    Many brass faucets are combined with stainless sinks!


    Washington Square West Residence · More Info


    But brass + soapstone has its own drama, so can imagine other choices. These things are, in the end, personal choices.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Stainless. What are the appliances? : ) Brass and stainless look wonderful.

  • 6 years ago

    With that tiny sink, I'm not sure it would be worth special ordering/fabricating soapstone or brass. Its not going to be a big feature or focal point in your kithchen. But if you have the money and it's what you love, do it. To me those white or stainless examples look pretty good with brass fixtures. I have a large (32") stainless sink and soapstone counters and I really don't think the SS stands out too much as a feature.

    Danette's ideas · More Info

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    The black silgranite would disappear and let the brass be the star. For such a small sink, I wouldn’t want any contrast that emphasized that. Don't do brass or black strainer baskets no matter what you do. Stainless all the way for that in a kitchen. It’s non reactive to acids or bases and is easy to scrub out. Not so for brass or black.

  • 6 years ago

    I went with soapstone counters with a stainless steel sink, faucet and appliances but the cabinet hardware and wall plates are brass. It all goes together. The stainless steel sink just reads as a neutral. A soapstone sink in your situation would be so lovely, but if you don’t go with that don’t worry. A week after sink install whatever you choose will look good but it also will have transitioned into “that place where you rinse your dishes.” You’ll still notice the counters though :)


  • PRO
    6 years ago

    "For example, a 23" wide sink needs a 26" cabinet."


    A 33" sink will fit into a 33" cabinet. I did it yesterday.


    I put a 33" sink into a 27" cabinet once.

  • 6 years ago

    @Joseph Corlett, LLC where are you located? Can I hire you?!

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Ali:


    Most of my work is in the Sarasota, Florida, area, but I've got a guy in Atlanta too.


    I'll travel anywhere for the right amount of money, so sure, you can hire me.

  • 6 years ago

    Update: I ended up ordering the Blanco Precis Silgranit sink in Anthracite. After seeing how well it went with the soapstone, I ordered another. Absolutely beautiful. Thank you all so much for your comments and feedback!!

  • 5 years ago

    ajm27 could you tell me where you ended up getting the soapstone counter from? looking for a source in Pittsburgh....

  • 5 years ago

    @Reiko Yamamoto You'll want to inquire with @Garden State Soapstone that services several states including Pennsylvania. You are fortunate to be within their service area. They are a fantastic soapstone resource. Look especially at the Beleza that they offer, one of the harder soapstones that resists chipping and scratching. Website is here: https://www.gardenstatesoapstone.com/

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert