Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_105120801

Help , everything is dark brown and yellow!

Petra S.
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are downsizing from a big house and ended up buying a 900 sq. ft apartment. Looking for ides to make it more current without a major renovation. We would keep the kitchen cabinets and hardwood floors. This furniture is not ours, we will be buying new. We like eclectic, contemporary and MCM. Your ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (116)

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

You might try the shorter piece pushed into the corner at the recess by the balcony door as a reading nook. Then float the longer piece in front of the TV. How large is the TV?

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We will buy a new TV so that's not an issue. Here is the layout with sectional separated into two pieces.

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So this or this ? We can decide which one once we move in . Don't get confused. The green is representing my sectional, I just couldn't find the right size of furniture in the Ikea planning tool so I had to combine it with a chair.

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don't think I mentioned that we are moving overseas and there is no way I will be able to sell the sectional over there for more than a few hundred $$$ if it doesn't work. That's why I need to decide while we're still here. So my original post about yellow and brown turned into layout and sectional dilemma . :)))

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Okay.....we are getting information in drips. How long will you be there? Is this a permanent move? How often will you have visitors?

You obviously care a lot about how this will function and look. I will be honest: even with the light color, a piece of furniture that large (the sectional) is going to consume the space visually.

I would sell it, cut my losses and buy a light-colored leather reclining sofa and back the table up to it. You can get one that is a wall hugger. They sit in the frame and move forward when reclining.

• ulisdone
    4 years ago

Just something to keep in mind while planning your furniture layout: people feel best eating at tables/surfaces where they can see outdoors. So an eating area near the terrace doors or windows would be best.

• livelarge
    4 years ago

I think the simple easy and less expensive things like paint pillows and some accent pieces would change the look and feel.

• Elaine Ricci
    4 years ago

Maybe my phone will let me post pix today.

• Denita
    4 years ago

I would sell it. Lugging furniture oversees is an expensive proposition - especially since it is very large. JMO.

Petra S. thanked Denita
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Do you have room in your current space to dismantle the sectional and try it in the first config above? If you can "tape off" the room with painter's tape, then you can move your sectional around and see what works.

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

If you're doing all of this in another country, then I'd seriously consider taking the loss and selling the couch. Just the cost of moving it, only to (possibly) find it's wrong for your home is expensive. Going without a couch can be very freeing. Then we can all help you buy a new one!

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello all,
    We sold the sectional, arrived overseas and going LR furniture shopping today.

Our main dilemma now is sectional and one chair vs sofa and 2 armchairs.

• Elaine Ricci
    4 years ago

MCM...

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Update - how large is your home / apartment? I saw December 25 layout and for instance the sectional didn't face the entry... would the sofa/chairs be more flexible?

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is the layout

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We bought these two floor model pieces ( sofa and armchair ) and finally we have a place to sit ! The colours will work with my area rug that’s supposed to arrive in a few weeks .
    For now we are not planing to renovate, so the dark wood pieces are staying, except coffee table and wall paint.

Looking for suggestions on a new coffee table, curtain panels, dining set , wall paint ...

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

How much room is there behind sofa (under light) for a dining set? Looks narrow from photo views. Not a pro, but I'd go neutral on the walls (warm white?) and bring in the chair color with art and accessories. metal and glass coffee table to break up all the wood?

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There is a room for a 3 or 3 '6" dining table . Here is my first mood board with my actuall rug.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Are you changing the light fixtures?

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@RL Relocation LLC I would like to change the light fixtures, they are not my style but if they look ok once we make other changes they might stay. My hubby is asking: "What is wrong with them? They are good." LOL

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Well, the pendant lighting hanging in the living area seems out of place, I think a semi-flush might be better and actually throw more light around the room. Are you painting the walls? The furniture you bought plays into the wall color, not sure if that was intentional or just what you like? Because painting would really change the space a lot.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

I think the rug needs to be a lighter color with that color of their bold share if you keep in that chair

• happyleg
    4 years ago

My phone added the word share

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I can't return the furniture, that was a floor model. I love that area rug so I hope I'll make them work together. The rug has not arrived yet but I think it's the same colour as the chair. The char is darker than in my mock up.

Eventually we'll paint the walls, I can't stand that gold colour. Probably warm white walls and curtains as per @Gcubed suggestion.

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It’s been a long while. Here is the updated space but still a work in progress. Need new coffee table , wall decor etc.

At this moment I’m struggling to figure out additional seating in the LR. I was thinking to add a square ottoman but I’m unsure of the colour.
    Same fabric and colour of the sofa ? I may not be able to buy the same fabric though.

What is the colour / fabric that could work well in this space?

Thank you

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Forgot to attach the photos

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

Hi. There is no place for an ottoman in your room. As you know, one huge challenge here is lack of space. So, buying smaller scale items is the key.

Is there a reason you bought such a large chair? Can that be returned for 2 smaller chairs?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

The chair looks nice. But, there are always limitations in a space. Sometimes, you cannot have both large furniture and extra seating. This is one of those cases.

Since one large chair was chosen, then added seating is not a choice.

Yes, you can always pull the dining chairs over for extra seating when needed.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

First, the house looks great. Love the rugs. Second, auntthelma is right. Think if your dining area chairs as understudies for the living room - use them as needed for extra seating. The current layout is comfy for your everyday needs. Very nice!

• Lisa McLeod
    3 years ago

Looks fabulous! What a transformation, love the furniture. You could do an xtra large ottoman in place of the coffee table, or tuck smaller stools in corners if you want more seating. Also if you put white dishes, in the glass cabinets and or light pieces along with plants on the living room shelving, you’d see a big difference.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

I love it too. Bright, fresh and new. Enjoy your space

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I don’t have any experience with ottomans used as coffee tables . Is that practical ? We always have stuff on the coffee table. Usually coffee mugs , drinks ...
    How practical is to use a tray for that ?

• Carolae
    3 years ago

Ottomans are good for people with young children- no sharp edges. I prefer coffee tables. Yours looks just right in your room. Your upholstered dining chairs can definitely serve as additional seating when needed.

It looks like the mirror in the dining area came with the apartment. Is the art propped up against the wall going to replace the mirror? I hope so :)

• Carolae
    3 years ago

Btw I love your armchair!

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@carolae The frame is affixed to the wall. It came with the condo . It’s not a mirror :)
    We’re going to put some art piece(s) inside .

The reason I wanted to add an ottoman is to have an extra seat as well as to use it as a leg rest for daily naps . Right now only one person can nap on the sofa . If I had an ottoman it could serve as a chaise portion of a sectional .Something like this

• calidesign
    3 years ago

I would just replace the coffee table with a long, narrow, rectangular wood coffee table. You can pull your dining chairs over if you have extra guests, and put your feet up on the coffee table. If you want the ottoman instead of the coffee table you can use a smaller square one, but then you need an end table at the end of the sofa and another small one on the far side of the chair (away from the door).

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I am looking at Ekornes Stressless furniture right now, love the design, hate the price, but I am sure they are not the only ones who make an ottoman like their double ottoman that can be used as a coffee table or ottoman.

https://www.smartfurniture.com/products/stressless-double-ottoman-by-ekornes.html

The center can be paced between the cushions, over the cushions or stored under the cushions.

• auntthelma
    3 years ago

We have a small space for our main sitting room/ dining room/ office. We use an ottoman as a coffee table. I was wary, but it works. And it’s awesome for naps when needed.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

I would simply replace the coffee table with a large ottoman. Make sure it has legs, as you need the airiness in the room. Buy a very large tray for the ottoman for drinks.

• Flo Mac
    3 years ago

We recently moved to a retirement community. I was challenged with making a smaller family room feel larger and having appropriate seating when our two children and their children come for a visit. I also wanted to keep it as safe as possible for the youngest who is 3 yrs old. I came up with two square leather topped ottoman/coffee tables that are open underneath. They are light enough to move individually so they not only allow for extra seating but also for "feet up" as well as room for the 3 yrd old to play with train tracks when we are baby sitting. The padded leather also takes away the shop corners. Items on top are very easy to remove or slid over if not needed. I have a tray on one and I have another larger tray on the entry table if there is a need. The leather color may not be what you want but these types of leather/cloth tops come in various colors. Your room is lovely but I do understand your need for extra seating as well as wanting be comfortable while reading and watching tv. Hope this helps you.

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I removed the back cushions from the sofa to test them as ottoman.
    @ Flo Mac I love those ottomans!

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

In case we decide to go for a
    coffee table / ottoman similar to Flo’s what colour would you guys suggest ?
    The area rug has burnt orange , navy , cream and some green .

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

you have a great space now, what a huge transformation. I love all the sheers. it gives the room such a great feeling. you didnt mention lighting, but thought I would share an idea. the two current fixtures to me dont fit the look.

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Agree with Theresa about the light fixtures . They came with the condo and I don’t like them. We’ll be replacing them hopefully soon.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Look at leather for the ottoman. It would blend with your other colors and be a durable surface for your feet.

• Flo Mac
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Petra S. , believe it or not I ordered them from Target. Other places carry them for more and I found one that was charging a little less but I was also looking for something that if someone (grands particularly) accidently did damage I wouldn't have a heart attack because of the price. I don't want any of my family or guest to feel like that can't be comfortable because they are afraid they might hurt a piece of furniture. Our 11 grands are respectful but anyone can have an accident. When the younger ones get a little older then I can think about investing a little more. Plus, if I have to order to get what I want, I would rather return to the store locally instead of repacking and shipping back to the company if I had to return. I have had these ottomans about six months and there has been no problems. Pier 1, sells them and I think Wayfair, Joss and Main and a couple of other places had them too. I Googled for ottoman coffee tables and there were many that came in various colors and sizes. Good Luck.

• HU-767257278
    last year

do the opposite. Choose a theme (French country, Cottage in Nantucket, whatever you like) then go to pinterest and look it up for each room: dining room beach cottage or french country dining room...make a board with everything you "love". Just shop without really shopping but it will give you ideas. Then! try to find similar in your budget. You can do this for paint as well or color palettes. Most humans are visual creatures, see it, love it, copy the style. This works for non interior designer type people.

• Angel 18432
    last year

So what did you end up doing -

• Petra S.
    Original Author
    last year

We painted all walls white and changed some light fixtures.
    Thanks guys