Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
futura431

New white counters don’t match kitchen

futura431
4 years ago

Our brand new porcelain countertops went in today and I have a heavy heart. They are not nearly as white as the rest of the kitchen. They almost have a yellow tinge to them. I’m disappointed and feel like I made a very costly mistake. The kitchen isn’t quite finished yet - backsplash and fridge still to come. Am I overthinking this? See pictures.

Comments (115)

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

@futura431 - I like it polished. It's so much easier to wipe off when you get splatters on it. I'd never go with matte just for that reason, but I do cook a lot.

• A C
    4 years ago

Looks like a good match for color. I have shiny subway in my kitchen and I love it because it reflects the lights. Adds a little bit of glitz. If it were matte it would look too much like the floor.

• futura431
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@design girl The porcelain is from Spain. It’s called Ascale Torano Statuario. Believe it or not, it was actually “cheaper” per slab than quartz but the fabrication was 2x as much as quartz so it came out to about the same - though slightly less because our counter guy charges less than most. It’s harder to find companies that fabricate it but it’s gaining popularity so I imagine that won’t always be the case.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

@futura431 - Thank you, it really is gorgeous and I can't tell that it's not marble. So realistic. I'm going to check it out for sure. Your kitchen is beautiful.

• futura431
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s another photo. We bought 3 so we could see continuation of color. I think it’s a really a good match for the overall gray tonal range in the counters. The hexagon highlights just the darker sections, IMO.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

@futura431 - I LOVE IT - IT'S PERFECT !!!!

• A C
    4 years ago

If both of you still are undecided about the subway and not sure about the small hex, maybe consider the hex in a larger size shape. Maybe it wouldn’t look as busy. Your counters are pretty substantial and the larger size might look great with them. Another idea is doing the white hex or subway with a taupe or gray grout (color in the counter and floor) or off white. Either way, I still like shiny better than matte. I noticed the hex is also called “diamond” which might help your search.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    4 years ago

I actually really like it from farther away. My vote would still be for something matte but this is quite lovely!

• tedbixby
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The question I have and it's hard to tell on this side of the screen but is the gray accomplishing what your issue originally was- that the counters had a yellow tinge to them vs the white cabinets and you want a backsplash that would de-emphasize this. And though the darker gray makes the counter "pop" more, is it too much like the floor so that you aren't getting any interesting contrast? Just some things for you to think about.

• A C
    4 years ago

Can you take a pic from distance to show floor also?

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

@futura431 - A picture of my master bath where my marble counters are creamier than my cabinets. It happens all the time, and for the most part the whites blend together to make things more interesting. Once your kitchen is "dressed" so to speak with your things on the counters, it will all fade away.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Circling back to your white subway tile. Do you have samples of that? If so, put that up and show us what it looks like. I'm also wondering about a very creamy white that more is the color of the countertop.

cream and white backsplash - Google Search · More Info

• futura431
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Further back with floor

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

What are the samples that you ordered?

• A C
    4 years ago

Hmmm. I’m not sure about the solid grays that match the floor. I found these on house and they look like a nice option.

• A C
    4 years ago

Here’s another example of the white with slightly dif grout and cream counters.

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

what if instead of trying to offset the backsplash with a darker color from the porcelain counter you embrace the gorgeous porcelain and use that as your backsplash? take a look at these white kitchens that do that.

Traditional Kitchen Remodel (Miami, FL) · More Info

IRG Kitchens · More Info

• futura431
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We don’t have any leftover nor can we afford to purchase another slab for a backsplash. I do like how that looks, but it’s not an option.

• futura431
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s a photo of the white subway. As you can see it’s a bright, stark white next to our counters and I don’t really want to highlight how UN white the counters are :(

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

@futura431 - I don't like that - the color is off. I think the gray is much better.

• futura431
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@design girl me either. The white subway makes the counters look dull, which even though they aren’t bright white, they definitely are not. They’ve dynamic! I feel like the gray subway best brings that out.

• A C
    4 years ago

I agree that your white subway is the wrong white. Maybe try a different white if you go in that direction.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

I agreement with your thinking on the white tiles. I really like the photo with the continuation of the 3 gray tiles. Can't see any problem with that...at least how it appears on my screen.

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

one more thought.... wonder, instead of a new slab, if it comes in either a subway tile version or a penny tile type tile... the grey will look absolutely beautiful, but just wanted to offer up other thoughts. heres the concept of tile that matches countertop slab.

Soothing White and Gray Kitchen Remodel · More Info

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

@futura431 - I agree that I think the gray subway looks the best and really brings out the counter (at least on my screen). It also seems to look very nice with your floors.

• PRO
    Zapata Design, LLC
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Definitely go with a gray to compliment the slab countertop.
  • Kristel Quintana
    4 years ago

What about grey glass subway tile for a bit more dimension? I think this would look very rich with your lovely counters.

• Charlene Bevan
    4 years ago

My kitchen is almost identical to yours. Our counters have a bit more grey but they weren’t as white as we had originally anticipated. We ended up choosing the grey glass subway tile that Kristel Quintana posted (it had a bit of a bevel to it too) and it gave our kitchen a bit of bling. We love it. But equally great is the grey subway tiles you picked and the hex patterns. Any of those options I think would look fabulous.

• A C
    4 years ago

I love the gray glass in the pic below.

• futura431
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think the photo of the glass is gorgeous but it’s not for me. I got a sample of glass and I just didn’t love the look in the kitchen.

• Abby Mac
    4 years ago

Not a pro but I recently built a house and I know that panicky feeling when something looks different than expected. So many choices with a kitchen, it's overwhelming and hard to match it all. I think that gray subway tile is going to be gorgeous and will tie the counter in with the floor and cabinets. Will be watching this thread to see the final look!

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

The creamy white tile idea would be a good option. Try finding something that complements the countertop. There are marble tiles that would bridge the countertop with the cabinets as well. Don’t get discouraged. You’ll find the right backsplash.

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    4 years ago

Futura, I'm pressed on time, otherwise, I'd read every response. But, I've got a good idea for you that would make that countertop fit very well with the cabinets that you have. I understand your disappointment and I would be, too. But, this idea might be very helpful. I was a commercial artist in Houston and hope that is enough credentials to just have you pause long enough to consider this.

It's about painting portions of your cabinets. Select a cream color similar to your countertop and paint the raised portions of your cabinets so they are cream and make lines and frame your cabinets around the white square recessed wood. A good painter can do that without your seeing any brushwork. Someone else may have suggested this already. I just am too pressed for time at the moment to read all your responses. Then use 2 tiles in your backsplash, if not three. Now, just envision this for a moment - run a bottom line of subway tile that is the cream color. Either then a thin line of tile above it or change colors to white. Just integrate some white and cream colors together. Initially, they could even utilize 2 different textures. But, after thinking about it, I would introduce a rough, tumbled tile. Just consider slick polished porcelain tile. IF you will email me personally, I'll send you an idea that I'm going to use. I just don't want to post it on Houzz yet till it's finished. I haven't started my backsplash yet. But, I know EXACTLY how I want it done.

However, you've got a lot of good suggestions coming from a number of people. I just tossed my mine to incorporate the cream color from the countertop into your cabinets. It would pull your cabinets down into the countertops, which I think is what you want. So, they don't look so wildly different with the countertop color. I understand your distress, especially after all the thought that goes into making selections. I picked the wrong marble for my countertop and could slap my self after the fact. But it's a done deal. Next comes my backsplash, but I have to locate the exact tile that I want. I'd be glad to show you my personal ideas. Good luck to you. Everything will come together for you, just don't stop thinking about how you can incorporate both colors together.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    4 years ago

futura431 Your counters are stunning!

Oh, I feel terrible and definitely the odd man out but I agree with your post.

This just doesn't match at all and would drive me nuts.

Not sure if changing lightbulbs, etc would help?

I've seen pictures where there is warm and cool white kitchens mixed with brass hardware....

Hope you find what you're looking for, your counters truly do look incredible.

4 years ago

Futura431, forgot to add my email addy: crystalfisher912@gmail.com

I can send you a photo of what I plan to do with my backsplash.

• Anita
    4 years ago

Your whole kitchen is coming along beautifully! I like the plain gray backsplash, but would probably look at a lighter gray.
    I would LOVE to know where you got your floor tiles! (We recently re-did our kitchen with white shaker cabinets and black leathered granite counters.) I have been looking, and looking for pain gray floor tiles with a little bit of texture, but everything I find has too many varying colors in them, they all look way too busy when you put more than two or three together!! Yours is beautiful and exactly what I'm looking for!
    Best of luck!

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    4 years ago

LOOKS sexy, sophisticated and high end! Great choice.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

@futura431 - So glad things worked out. It looks great !!!

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Gorgeous. Well done.

• T
    4 years ago

Wonderful choice, and I say that as someone who usually doesn't love all gray and white kitchens. You've done it marvelously and honestly I think the fact that the whites *are* different is one of the key reasons why!

• Jmoore
    4 years ago

Beautiful

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

yeah!!! so glad you love it. looks fabulous. I really like the size of the tile.

• Rachel
    4 years ago

I agree with others . . . it is beautiful! FWIW, I think if the counters were whiter, they would not look as much like real marble. Take a look at some of the faux marble quartz counter tops. I think this is one of the reasons the quartz does not appeal to me. You've done 'good'!

• A C
    4 years ago

Tile goes great with the counters!

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Perfect backsplash choice! Looks fantastic!

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    4 years ago

It's all come together beautiful. Putting on the backsplash has tied it all together nicely.

4 years ago

Great idea. You did very well!!

• Regan Noland
    2 years ago

What color are your countertops

• PRO
    Zapata Design, LLC
    2 years ago

white - with some veining in them.