FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

ilovetogrow

Hosta D 2019 ...

Welcome to 2020! I hope everyone has a great year! Lets see some ds:

Have a great day

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Happy New Year!

Baby Dancing Queen

• sunnywood4bChazyNY

Happy New Year all you Hosta lovers!

Dark Shadows

Daybreak

Days End

Designer Genes

Devon Green

Dock Ward

Diva

Dream Weaver

cost effective drawing and 3d rendering services for architects , interior designer and builders

This was posted SEVEN YEARS AGO! It's been dead since then until some NOOB decided to resurrect it. It's 2019--learn how to use the Internet.

How can I make my Plain Jane garden shed more cute?

Done these before. Add a cupola to match the band stand (?) in background of first pic. Add double doors with barn door tracks so you have a decent sized opening. A pair of 30" doors will get it done. Add small fixed sash to gables (say 24" x 24") Shed needs additional larger windows for light as well as proportion. Careful with sizes so as not to go too big and keep the sills up high enough so as not to adversely impact interior use. Match gable windows in details. Not too much additional color. Doors, door trim and window trim only especially new gable windows and that is enough. Send pics when done. Good luck

Need exterior cosmetic advice for brick Georgian.

Wow, the house and porch are really nice and open now! I have to say I wonder if you should do a black front door now? I'm still not sold on that light fixture, but love the house numbers! Can't wait for spring!

Demo day? Fall 2019 Renovations

Hi. Good to see Everyones progress. I have read many houzz post about backsplash anxiety and boy is it real. Once it was time to choose the tile, it just became to much. I needed to back off for awhile. I have picked an antique white arabesque, that i hope will be installed someday? Haha. Hoping for a Christmas miracle. Megs1030 sorry I didn't respond earlier, but yes my counters are white macaubas and I love them. My kitchen is functional, but not complete. Some changes are needed to the electric and small things to be fixed. My previous kitchen was very small and unorganized, so cooking in this kitchen is a pleasure. The first time cooking a large meal I actually had a flash back to Home Economics, from high school.Haha.. Waverly and Casa can't wait to see your kitchens. Rekha your kitchen is smooth and handsome. Beautiful kitchen. E.A. hang in there, it will get done.Ours was supposed to be done in July. It has been a long stinky affair, but it should be done soon and I love my kitchen.
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

I can’t wait til my DevonGreen looks like yours, sunny!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Sunnywood, love that Dreamweaver!

Sherry

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Paula..the little boy and the puppy are precious..isn't this the truth about how modern kids think?..

you guys amaze me..you have so many varieties!!..I'm not in the hosta major league..I struck out today..no D's..I thought this was kind of funny..

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

I have quite a few that look like Diamond Tiara that came with my house..does that count?..I wish they had left me a Dancing Queen or Devon Green instead..lol

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada

LOL this is my baby Dancing Queen. She is 2 yrs old.

Here she is getting the after 5 sun.

Dream Queen

Diana Remembered

Dream Weaver unfurling in June . I moved DW last year , so hopefully it will like the new place. More sun? I don't know about this one.

Happy New Year!!!

• djacobz568sewi

Well “Happy New Years” to everyone and welcome to 2020!

First comments on the lovely hostas so far:

Saija, I love your Dance with Me. How is it you have perfect plants with no slug or other bug damage? Amazing!

Karin, I love your Dawns Early light and Dream weaver. In fact I admire all of the Dream Weavers today.

Peren, I like Dancing Queen, in fact this one keeps coming up as a must have for me. Dinner Mints— I love the changes it goes through. Does it take sun?

Beth, Dancing Queen is now on my list for sure. I am interested to know about your plant marker on that outstanding Dust Devil.

Sherry, of course your Dancing Queen is among the many that has made this a must have for me next year.

Connie, your Devil’s Advocate woke up perfectly!

Steelers, what is the name of your first hosta, pic one and two? I did not see a name and alas, my recognition skills are not very good! :-)

Sunny, all of your hostas are breathtaking, but Darkshadows and I forgot to mention on B day your Beckoning are really top prize in my book. Ever want to sell an eye or two of either one, I would be interested, if you are in the states.

Nicholsworth, the joke— haha— I must have said that to husband at least 50 times over the past few years!

• djacobz568sewi

Now my few Ds, only 3:

Diamonds are forever. It is nice to see the contrast of these two hostas next to each other

Diamond Tiara, old plant, needs dividing

Dream Queen, year two

Debra J

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Oops, forgot to label those two. Sorry! They are Dinner Mint and get sun from sunrise to about two when they become shaded by the juniper

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

djacobs my Dinner Mint gets dappled sun most of the day.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Well, first of all, I wish all of you a Happy New Year---and much joy in your gardens in 2020!

As I thought about what hosta I had for the "D" alphabet, I could only think of one! I was "exercising" my brain, but I don't think it was working!

I love that joke nicholsworth!

So, only two pictures for me. The other "D's" were too small or I just didn't get around to photographing them. That's on the to do list for this year!

Diamond Lake. New for me this year. I like the wave in the leaves.

Dark Star

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Paula, I want a table like the good year one!

That Dinner Mint is a beauty, peren.all and oursteelers! I must get one. Peren.all, you must have the best group of Dixie Chick hosta!

Love that Dark Shadows, sunnywood, and Deja Blu is a looker, ConnieMay! Nice to see such mature lovely specimens.

As beautiful Dream Queen and Dream Weaver are, I find them difficult to grow. I have one of each and if they don't grow, they will be my last. They are so pretty though. So far I have been growing it in pots. I am wondering if they like to be in the ground instead. In the past there have been some forum members that have shown large beautiful specimens. So it can be done!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Newhostalady, Here is my experience the past few years with Dream Queen. I lost two, the third was dwindling away, down to seedling size. I moved it to a place that gets several hours of sun and a bit extra water, it’s thriving now. None were grown in pots.

Sherry

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT

Happy New Year! Wishing everyone a wonderful 2020!

Dawn's Early Light -early May

DEL -mid-July

Devon Green

Dragon Tails - trying minis in pots again.

• lindalana 5b Chicago

My hosts are not cataloged at all, gotta figure out how to do easy browsing.

Front is Dawes. Back LS Breaking news and Leather and lace.

Delona's smile.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Sandyslopes, Dawn's Early Light is a beauty!

Sherry, I think what you have done with your Dream Queen is what I should do. I have limited garden space in the sun, but there's a lot of time before the season begins, so I will put my thinking hat on! Thanks!

• Tiddisolo Wales UK

Happy New Year!

I wish you all a wonderful Hosta growing 2020.

One of my resolutions is to take and catalogue more pictures next year.

There are two obstructions to this.

Ceri and Meg now 14 weeks old.

The temporary fencing is everywhere. White labels are irresistible.

On to the D's

Dream Queen. At least 15 years old and in a 35litre pot.

Don't give up on it.

It is incredibly slow.

The leaves are like dinner plates now and it amazes me with its beauty every spring.

Dino

Danica Poul

Dave

• Saija

Djacob: I use Ferramol pellets against slugs and I have also ugly hostas, but I won't release photos of them, LOL.

Karin: Deep pockets is something I need :)

All Dancing Queens are so beautiful and another Queen is Dave's Dream Queen

Sunnywood: your Devon Green is amazing.

Newhostalady: Dark Star is beauty.

Sandylopes: your Dawn's Early Light is beautiful. Mine gets ugly, maybe I must move it to another place.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Puppies!!!!! So cute!

DreamQueen. That is absolutely gorgeous. I can wait 15 years if the leaves turn out like that. Wow. Just wow.

• lkayetwvz5

Wow just had a panic attack! I saw all the pictures and mentions of Dream Queen and something told me I had bought that hosta on mark down late last year but what happened to it? I know I didn't plant it because things got out of control here and my new bed along the new fence didn't get done. There was also supposed to be a Stained Glass and an unmarked blue/green also bought on clearance. Well finally after many trips around the yards and buildings I found them in the window well covered with leaves which is where I tossed them when the 16F degree night was predicted back in the beginning of October. I did a marathon mulching of 51 roses in one day and pots went here and there where they would be safe. I better water those hostas as they are probably dried out but we had 25F this morning! So hopefully I will remember them before dark!

I am going to get Dancing Queen this year. You've all enabled me!

• mae (zone 5b On)

Dancing Queen

Devon Green

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada

Ah Dave....My favorites are, yes you guessed it Hostas and PUPPIES!!!!! Enjoy Ceri and Meg. They will keep you busy. I will water my Dream Queen and someday will have maybe more than 3 eyes.

• mae (zone 5b On)

Diamond Tiara

Dinky Donna

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

So many beauties! I can see Devil's Advocate with all the Dark Shadows, Dark Star and Dawn's Early Light and a Devon Green and a Dinky Donna to round it out!

sandslopes that DEL is gorgeous!

Shadow I hope my Diana Remembered grows up to look so good!

Dave Ceri & Meg are adorable trouble makers. I can picture them running past grabbing tags, although your pots are so full it is amazing they can find them.

• beverlymnz4

So many nice Dancing Queen pictures, I hope mine looks as good in its new location next year - no pictures this year. Newhostalady, you have a nice Diamond Lake there. I have a new one of those too but I didn't finish planting until fall. You plant is bigger/nicer than mine but it will grow.

I do have these D's.

Delona's Smile. It is not a slug magnet. Those holes are from tree twigs dropping off of a

mature tree.

Dew Drop - an impulse bye from the Minnesota Hosta Society hosta sale last year.

Dinky Donna - my favorite mini

Deja Blu - new this year thanks to a generous sister.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Dave, wishing luck with those two adorable puppies and the hosta! I agree with others here, your Dream Queen is spectacular

Sherry

• Beth (5b - Mid-Michigan)

Sheerygirl, what a beautiful Dancing Queen it glows in your garden.

ConnieMay, I just purchased a Deja Blue at the end of last season I hope one day it will look like yours.

sunnywood your Dream Weaver is outstanding, what type of conditions does it grow in? Mine has been struggling in my garden.

djacobz - my plant marker is just a plastic wine cork with galvanized wire, marked with a paint marker sharpie. I am converting over to the tent stake and dog tag plant markers as Mae suggested. My wine bottle markers are fun but fade and bend over all the time.

newhostalady I love your Dark Star

Sandslopes love the changing colors in your Dawn's Early Light

• sunnywood4bChazyNY

Beth. It’s a slow grower. That one is at least 5 years in its location in dappled shade and deep good soil in a raised bed. Good amount of water.

• djacobz568sewi

Tiddisolo, that is one awesome Dream Queen! I can Only hope mine will get that big some day.

Saija, than for the pellet tip. I have used Sluggo before, not sure if that is the same But it never helped. I think the problem has never been proactive about treating for them. This past fall, I did the vinegar drench on all of my hostas and plan to do it as soon the tips emerge in spring.

Mae, I’m definitely getting a Dancing Queen and I really like Dinky Donna.

Beverly, love your Dinky Donna is beautiful! So full!

Beth, thanks for the information on the cork and new markers! Converting to the new dog tag ones, which I do like, could be costly. What size tent stake do you use?

Thanks to everyone for sharing so far!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

Deep Blue Sea

tj

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Tiddisolo, your Dream Queen is gorgeous. Congratulations on putting in the time and being patient with it. Cen and Meg are adorable!

Mae, Dinky Donna looks so cute! Beverly, your Dinky Donna is so big! So, it's your favorite mini? Then I've got to get one! Hope I can find one.

Beverly, it will be nice to see our Diamond Lake hosta next year. I am betting that they will be really nice blue hostas. Beth, your Diamond Lake hosta is one year older than ours. It's really coming along nicely.

tsugajunkie, that is an impressive Deep Blue Sea! You must have had it for a long time. I believe it is a slow grower. Mine is just a little bitty thing.

• djacobz568sewi

Tsugajunkie, all I can say to your DBS is OMG!!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

great pics of great hosta everyone!

Dave..your Dogs are Darling :-)

• Beth (5b - Mid-Michigan)

new hostalady this is what my tags look like with tent stakes and dog tags. They are 10 1/2 inches long, I buy them from amazon "SE 9NRC10-20 Heavy-Duty Metal Tent Pegs Stake Set (20-Pack)" . I look for sales on the dog tags. Here is a shot of the hosta tag

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Beth..nice tags :-)

• zkathy z7a NC

Devil’s Advocate in a whiskey barrel

Dragon Tails in a 12 inch glazed ceramic pot.

• Beth (5b - Mid-Michigan)

zkathy I love Devil’s Advocate adding it to my long list

• djacobz568sewi

Zkathy, love that Devils Advocate!

• StevePA6a

Looks like I'll have to give Devil's Advocate another go, that's beautiful Zk!

Seems this 'D' category was my most photo-worthy last year, so...

Dab a Green

Dark Star

Dawn's Early Light

• StevePA6a

Deep Blue Sea

Delona's Smile

Devon Green

• Saija

Steve: you have beautiful hostas, that Deep Blue Sea is a big WOW.

• StevePA6a

Thanks Saija. DBS is in one of my few prime spots. I also like to clean them up as much as possible for their photo, otherwise they'd be littered with debris. Lots of dirty trees overhead.

• djacobz568sewi

Steve, I agree with Saija.....your hostas are beautiful, but that Deep Blue Sea is awesome!!

• zkathy z7a NC

So what’s prime about the spot DBS is in? I dug mine up and moved it this year, not like I can remember where I put it. I guess I’ll recognize it when it comes up.

• StevePA6a

Zk, most of our property is kinda poor conditions for growing hosta, but I've found a few certain spots, where they will grow quite well. It's all about the right amount of light, and moisture retention, over the hot summer months.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio

Still playing catch up. Love the Dawn's Early Light, but I picked up Rising Star last year. Will have to wait and see if I still need DEL. Dinky Donna is looking well.

and here's my two Dorset Clowns.

I'll have to wade through some group shots to see if I have any more worthy of posting.

• mbug_gw

Dancing Queen

Devon Green

Dorest Clown Seedling

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio

Nice little DC seedling you have there. I bet that was fun to watch grow up. (I can't like either).

• Esther-B, Zone 7b

Alas, my Dinky Donna did not survive the "landscape workers" spraying weed killer near my garden. But I still have my Dinner Mint.