Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_208531504

Countertop and backsplash help for white kitchen!

Vera
4 years ago

Looking for help in our countertop /backsplash pairing for a new kitchen with white shaker style cabinets. We are going for a low contrast look, something easy on the eyes but not entirely white. For an L-shaped kitchen, my idea is to use Cosmopolitan White Caezarstone quartz for the countertops and backsplash on one wall, and have textured brick tile backsplash on the other wall. My reasoning was that the brick is more active than CW quartz and will look like a feature wall in a way, while the CW backsplash part will not be competing with it.

Do you think this is a sound idea? Won't it look like we ran out of money in the middle of the renovation and had to finish the backsplash with tile?

Here is a mockup I made in Photoshop to better visualize the idea. Thank you!

Comments (22)

• Vera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth H., thank you for your input!

So, like you said, my idea was to add some personality on the backsplash since the countertops are plain. But running out of money - I meant, won't it look like we wanted all-quartz slab backsplash, ran out of money and had to do the brick on one wall :)

Also, the reasoning for quartz backsplash on the window wall was that I want to have quartz backsplash between the countertop and the window (kind of like window trim). And then I thought, why not make it all quartz on this wall for a cleaner look.

Here is another mockup with brick style tile on all walls. Do you prefer it this way?

• lizziesma
    4 years ago

Yes, I do.

Vera thanked lizziesma
  • kriii
    4 years ago

That brick style is pretty. I like how you designed the kitchen.

Vera thanked kriii
  • PRO
    Aegean Design Studio
    4 years ago

The brick is really cool and would look great all over and create a bit more dimension and style!

Vera thanked Aegean Design Studio
  • Vera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is what gave me the idea of using slab backsplash on one wall and tiles on the other. I understand that this backsplash is shorter and the whole dynamic is different (as the countertop material is the star).

• Vera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Sue 430
    4 years ago

I would worry about how I was going to clean the brick, especially with it being behind the stove

Vera thanked Sue 430
  • Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

I personally like the idea of brick on one wall as a backsplash and quartz on the other wall for the backsplash. I dont think they need to be the same and the two different offers a uniqueness to the kitchen.

Vera thanked Theresa Janssen
  • Vera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input! I am relieved that no one hates the bricks so far :). But if there is someone there who does, please speak up too!

I started second-guessing this decision after we had a talk with a stone fabricator. She did not like this idea at all, and her reasoning was that if we ever start with the slab backsplash on one wall, we should do it on all walls. Otherwise it will look half finished.

But I am still not convinced. I was hoping that since the brick is active and the countertop is plain, we could pull off that "feature wall" look on one wall. And different wall treatment (quartz and brick) will give us more dimension and will be aesthetically pleasing.

Now I see that some people are in favor of the bricks on both walls. So that got me thinking again...

• Vera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sue 430, that's a valid point! I tested the sample brick tiles at home and they clean quite well. There are some brick tiles that have lots of crazy crevices, but these ones are reasonably smooth.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

vera, I really like your inspiration photo. however, if you notice, that's a marble countertop with it's own visual interest (not a plain quartz or semi-plain like yours). and the brick on the other wall is really a ceramic subway tile, one color. Plus, the cabinets are dark, and have a bit of personality (like the trim work and the one w/the glass door). All of these elements work beautifully. But it's not at all like what you are posting for your kitchen. So, you're comparing apples/oranges!

here's your caesarstone, which I do like

and here it is w/a plain white subway:

Since I see a better shot of it, I don't know if I like that multi-brick you've shown in your mock up. I'd have to see the actual brick (and you really want a porcelain brick) in person.

is it the texture of the brick that you like? Have you seen the Cadenza line from Tilebar? I love their colors. I ordered a few of the samples myself.

but you can see the nice texture. It really is very nice in person.

maybe this color? Willow Creek:

You get 5 samples for $5 over there. And if you do order from them, it's a flat rate $10 shipping.

https://tilebar.com/cadenza-willow-creek.html

SaltCellar

Or maybe the Vintage White? this might work better than a bright white.

Stroke Gray matte, 2x9

I like it (Stroke gray) with a softer brass hardware. And a medium stained wood shelf.

HomeDepot has this one from IvyHill Metro Brick white 3x9 (which is a good size. maybe do a herringbone layout? )

one other thing,,,,I don't know if you plan on leaving the backside of your island plain like it is in the pic, but consider adding some simple border trim around the edging (or any other type of facing like shiplap or beadboard) in order to give it a finished look)

Vera thanked Beth H. :
  • cawaps
    4 years ago

Fireclay does a glazed thin brick that is probably easier to clean than the real thing.]

Vera thanked cawaps
  • Vera
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth H, thank you again for your thoughtful suggestions! Unfortunately, as I am in Canada, I won't be able to buy from TileBar. But it is great just to see the possible choices. I totally understand how my inspiration photo and my actual kitchen are totally different, it is just that I thought possible to borrow one isolated concept...

Regarding the flat side of the island - yes, it does have a shaker style trim same as on cabinets, so it definitely looks more finished than on my mockup :)

So, to sum things up, you advise against using slab backsplash on the window wall, no matter what style of tile backsplash we decide to go with, right?

• Design Girl
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I don't like the slab backsplash and while the brick looks interesting, I don't think it's practical. Imagine when things splatter up from the stove having to clean the bricks. I had a brick backsplash once a long time ago, and the maintenance was awful. I'd choose a beautiful marble tile in an interesting pattern, like some that Beth recommended above. The herringbone is lovely and I liked the Calcutta as well.

Vera thanked Design Girl
  • strategery
    4 years ago

I really like the brick on both walls, and as others have said there are even more interesting brick-style tiles to choose from.

Vera thanked strategery
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

vera, Tilebar ships to Canada.

or, look for similar styles in your tile shops up there. just show them the pictures

Vera thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I am speaking up. The brick look is not doing anything for your kitchen. It’s a relatively small kitchen so I would jazz it up with a encaustic patterned tile. Something like this. I would wait and save up for a great look. This is from tilebar.com.

Vera thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I couldn’t remove the red tag without messing up the design but if you can ignore that this is mock up.

Vera thanked Flo Mangan
  • itsourcasa
    4 years ago

No, stick with the brick! It's so good, do it on both walls!

Vera thanked itsourcasa
  • Kristen O'Brien
    4 years ago

We have white cabinets and when with Artistic Tile Tambourine Traps Watercolor and Cambria Britannica. I also like Silestone Calacatta Gold, but Cambria had a bolder pattern. The tile is both matte and iridescent. Blue, white, "greigh". Not for everyone, but we're pleased. Cabinets are DuraSupreme. And we mixed our metals. Still working on the paint and new windows.

Vera thanked Kristen O'Brien
  • Kristen O'Brien
    4 years ago

I like your brick in theory, but if it's rough, I agree it might be hard to clean. There must be a comparable tile that is easier to wipe down. Our tile has some shiny surfaces and some matte, but it's all easy to wipe (and the unsanded grout is sealed, just in case). I was worried about the overly active wall (tile) but we like it. And the brick can look a little rustic. Is that what you want? You know, in the end, it's what you like. My mom kept telling me that. Design it for YOU! :-)