FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

linda021025

source for Sambucus nigra subsp. canadensis ‘Maxima’?

Anyone know of a US source for Sambucus nigra subsp. canadensis ‘Maxima’?

• Gred

Are you looking for American Elder-sambucus canadensis, or European Elder-Sambucus Nigra?

• Linda G (zone 5b)

American. I know others are available bt I am trying to find that particular cultivar.

• Gred

Any reason for preferring that one? Although American, it appears to be mostly propagated in Europe.

American elderberry, Sambucus canandensis, is no longer considered a separate species but only a subspecies of S. nigra. 'Maxima' is noted for having exceptionally large flowerheads.

At one time it was carried by Forest Farm Nursery in Oregon but that seems to no longer be the case. In fact, it does not appear to be in commercial production currently in the US.

Linda G (zone 5b) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Linda G (zone 5b)

Thanks gardengal48. I was very interested in both the large flower heads as well as the (somewhat) later bloom time. You also confirmed what I was afraid of regarding the production - can't seem to find it all here.