Software
Houzz Logo Print
shawn_grauer

Please help with quartz counter top choice

6 years ago

We're looking to replace countertops & backsplash. No pics of existing backsplash because we want to decide on counters first. The cabinets are a creamy beige with antiqued glaze. Names of quartz from left to right -- 1) Zodiaq Venetia Cream 2) LG Viatera Aria 3) Daltile Alpine Winter. We're happy to replace cabinet pulls if needed. It's an open floor plan - kitchen, dining room, living room all one area.. and we have alot of greys & blues in overall decor. Floors are medium brown tiles that look like wood. Whichever quartz you think would work, do you also have any feedback on a good coordinating backsplash? Thanks in advance!


Comments (47)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    don't even think about backsplash now. you have to wait until it's installed.

    these are the only 3 you like? if so, I'd take the far left. the other ones are going to be busy looking once installed. not as busy as what's there currently, but still busy.



    Here's the Aria one.

    That Zodiac is now Corian? when you google the name, it comes up as Corian now.




    Anyway, I think it's rather beige and rather creamy. is this what you want?

    any other choices?

    This is the only photo of the Alpine Winter I could find.


    however, there is an Alpine White granite that would look very nice




    Or, how about this one ? (Daltile has a Jasmine White too)




    Shawn Grauer thanked Beth H. :
  • 6 years ago

    I also would choose the far left from your choices. It ties in with the warmth of the cabinets nicely.

    Shawn Grauer thanked Kristin S
  • 6 years ago

    I would go with the middle one. it looks like it would tie in nicely with the rest of the house and contribute many colours for backsplash coordinating. plus it's nice to have a little bit of contrast.

    Shawn Grauer thanked suepr34
  • 6 years ago


    Thank you everyone. Those weren't our only choices, but we went to a place with a huge selection but we were really limited by the color of the cabinets. I attached a photo that I think shows the cabinet color better. If we go any whiter, it makes the cabinets look yellow. Really need to stick with something in the same cream tone. Don't really want to do super plain, would like some interest/movement, but not crazy busy like we have now.

  • 6 years ago

    Your kitchen cabinets are a very similar color as mine. We used Farrow and Ball's "Tallow" with a light brown glaze. Rather than matching the counter to the cabinets, we chose an absolute black polished granite. The island is painted in F & B's "Rectory Red" with the same glaze. I found a piece of granite with cream, red and black with a dramatic pattern. It was much easier to chose countertops this way. BTW, we did this remodel 10 years ago!

    Shawn Grauer thanked Linda Renzulli
  • 6 years ago

    I like Beth's suggestions.

    There were four Ceasarstone patterns I liked. See below.


    Shawn Grauer thanked houssaon
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    The lg Viatera # 2 of your first group would be my pick. I might change the hardware to a softer metal than black /nickel or pewter c or d shape (curve) handles. Oil rub bronze (orb) can work if you have for example wood floor or warmth w wood/or copper etc anywhere ....can’t see too much.

    Shawn Grauer thanked herbflavor
  • 6 years ago

    If you want one of your original 3 choices I would also do #1- far left. However, I like the black counter that Beth showed. I also like the black counter the poster with similar cabinets as yours has. So I prefer that contrast to the cabinets. I wouldn't do glossy, though.

    Shawn Grauer thanked ljptwt7
  • 6 years ago

    If your cupboards are creamy beige, take a look at Cambrian oakmoor, it’s beautiful

    Shawn Grauer thanked Sue 430
  • 6 years ago

    I like the idea of contrasting countertops. It's very easy to go wrong when you're trying to match beiges plus it can get a bit monotone. My other concern is that you say the cabinets and your selections of counters are beige but you have greys and blues throughout your open concept house. If you insist on choosing from among your 3 samples, I'd suggest #2 as, like someone else suggested, it gives you the greatest range of colours to better enable you to tie the kitchen into the rest of the house. You don't want to have your entire main floor a sea of greys and blues with one whole section (your kitchen) a sea of beige. Re: hardware: I like Herbflavor's idea of the oil rub bronze, especially if you decide to go with dark counters. Good luck with your project - so exciting to have a new kitchen!

    Shawn Grauer thanked marlene_s
  • 6 years ago

    If your choice is between the three, I would go with number one. I googled the other two and they are way busier than your picture shows. Busy is definitely not the fashion now.

    Shawn Grauer thanked suzytx55
  • 6 years ago

    Black granite with undercabinet lights shows every streak mark every time you wipe up—which is all day long!! I can live with mine (which looked great when we came into the kitchen as prospective buyers) only because I spend an extra 10 minutes polishing the counters with spray and microcloth before I leave the kitchen for the night.

    Shawn Grauer thanked cda1028
  • 6 years ago

    I see that busy patterns on the countertop are not the popular choice now, but it seems like they are instead just making the backsplash patterned. I think you need to have an idea on backsplash when deciding - where do you want the pattern?. I chose a busier countertop, but then a plain backsplash. Either would look fine.


    Shawn Grauer thanked bkind37
  • 6 years ago

    I am not a decorator but think you would be happy with any of the three, I would. If your kitchen needs light, go with lightest. If you think you want gray glass backsplash tile, go with one with a bit of gray specks in. If you think you want a fun patterned backsplash, go with a solid color (But I just installed an adorable vintage encaustic tile pattern and I think I may tire of it. I thought my colonial white granite was pretty basic but it is busy with the tile). If you want a distinctive backsplash, may want tone down the counters. If a simple backsplash, might go with a little more interesting countertop, might, because your cabinets are very nice and might deserve the spotlight. also, I read somewhere that your floor, cabinet, countertop should be dark, light, dark or vise versa. You didn’t mention your floor color.


    Shawn Grauer thanked Ednamaee
  • 6 years ago

    You need your floor tile to make the decision. Some wood look tile is very busy. If it is quiet , then you can have your busier counter top and quiet backsplash. I forgot to bring my floor tile when selecting my bathroom countertop, and while the result is pretty good, I know it could have been a lot better had I all the elements with me.

    Shawn Grauer thanked simplechoices
  • 6 years ago

    I think painted cabinets look best with wood counters. It brings a sense of warmth that no rock ever can...


    On this site, most of the kitchens have wood as some of the counters, and rock as the other. I like the wood part best in each example.


    https://www.thisoldhouse.com/kitchens/21018085/all-about-wood-countertops


    When I re-did my condo, I got butcher block from Lumber Liquidators. It probably cost me 1/5th what rock would have. And, when someone else renovates in the future those counters will biodegrade. I think a lot of damage is done to the earth to harvest rock for "pretty counters" that the next homeowner may not like and remove as the trend has passed... As for care I think the carpenter just used some oil on them. They cleaned up fine, and I used cutting boards to cut on - I didn't cut right on the wood. But if I did, they could easily be refinished. Multiple times. (Note:
    the columns were needed to hide the gas line from my floor to the apartment above, and electrical wires - not a decorative choice. 1964 apartment building)...




    Shawn Grauer thanked Lynn G
  • 6 years ago

    The left one. It is the lightest and least busy. I think it would be a nice calm choice after the granite. And I think it works good with the traditional cabinets. Then you can get more exciting backsplash tile. I would start with marble. I love marble a backsplash. Your new kitchen will be beautiful

    Shawn Grauer thanked rachann61
  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I prefer the far left one but it really depends on what you are wanting....more movement, more classic, some color. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them.

    • The first one - More classic, subtle movement adding a bit of texture. Can get more playful with backsplash pattern.
    • The second one - Most movement and color. Will feel the most familiar compared to your current countertop. Can only do a very plain backsplash.
    • The third one - Larger movement but more subtle. Has more color that coordinates with the rest of your home. Need to do a backsplash that is more subtle and classic as not to compete.

    Hope this helps!

    Shawn Grauer thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    Love the far right. Whichever you choose use the same stuff as backsplash.

    Shawn Grauer thanked Terrie B.
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Consider using the same material for the backsplash that you use for the countertops and take it up to the base of the upper cabinets.

    Shawn Grauer thanked swampy315
  • 6 years ago

    All are pretty and you’ll be happy with any of them. The left one may be in style longer. I’d love to see how you’re going to combine the creamy tan colors with blues and grays.

    Shawn Grauer thanked debmarie7
  • 6 years ago

    *** Thank you everyone! We're definitely not restricted to those 3 choices shown in original photo. It was just 3 samples they had that looked like they could work. I'm also interested in Caesarstone Bianco Drift, Caesarstone Moorland Fog & MSI Carrara Mist, but don't have samples to put with my cabinets. Attached stock photos below. But definitely open to suggestions. :-) I kind of like alittle gray, because I don't want the kitchen to be all beige. And our overall decor is blues & grays. We also have stainless appliances & could do nickel cabinet pulls. The floors are medium brown tiles that look like hardwood (but they do have a subtle gray undertone).





  • 6 years ago

    Definitely far left one. Much more restful in the eye

    Shawn Grauer thanked krafter1923
  • 6 years ago

    Wow did every builder use your old countertop? We have it too in our condo in Florida and can't wait to replace it with something white! I like the one on the left of your options too.

    Shawn Grauer thanked lorisonfeier
  • 6 years ago

    Honestly, I wouldn't choose any of those. I think kitchens should have warmth and color, and a countertop is a great way to add that. I'd go for a blue or green shade, or even butcher block.


    Shawn Grauer thanked lois2037
  • 6 years ago

    We just had the Carrara Mist installed. I absolutely love it.

    Shawn Grauer thanked jmknight
  • 6 years ago

    jmknight.. do you happen to have pics of the Carrara Mist installed?

  • 6 years ago

    We used an MSI quartz countertop and we have been totally disappointed. The final product did not match their sample (similar to a crema marfil). There is a lot of chunky rock in the countertop with some rust colors. The sample was smooth and a neutral creamy gray color. A few months after installation, pieces of rock started coming loose leaving dents and holes in the countertop. We filled some with grout in the master bath shower. We need to re-do nearly every countertop in our home, now.... would never purchase MSI, again.

    Shawn Grauer thanked jcesak
  • 6 years ago

    #3 , beware of anything too busy

    Shawn Grauer thanked alibart11
  • 6 years ago

    keep it simple. First one works well. You have busy now. Tone it down and change it up.

    Shawn Grauer thanked HU-869844595
  • 6 years ago

    What is your footprint? Limited or lots of counter space? Island? Before pic?

    Shawn Grauer thanked alibart11
  • 6 years ago



    Here is the kitchen... BUT we don't have that backsplash anymore. We're replacing it.. after we figure out countertops.

  • 6 years ago

    Shawn - your kitchen looks very nice. I think any of the countertops would look fine. Choose what you like - not what is in style now. We all know how quickly those come and go.

    Shawn Grauer thanked bkind37
  • 6 years ago

    The three choices you outlined are man-made materials that sort of try to imitate natural materials. Over time, the differences between the real thing and the imitation can wear on us, and guess what, the man-made thing becomes "outdated"! My instinct is -- go with a natural material in a pattern you are in love with, for something more aesthetically enduring. Stop by a stone warehouse, look at the big slabs (not the small samples) and see if you see a durable natural stone such as a quartzite or granite, etc. that you can fall in love with! Be sure to look at some with a honed finish. OR -- if you do want to go with a man-made material, find something that isn't trying to be something it is not -- like the Caesarstone product that Beth suggested earlier.

    Shawn Grauer thanked Karenmo
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I would go with the far left as it is cleaner and simpler and would not “fight” with any of the other colors that you would like to incorporate or are that are nearby. The drama could then be in the details

    Shawn Grauer thanked Laurie Signorelli Consulting LLC
  • 6 years ago

    Carrara Mist

    Shawn Grauer thanked jmknight
  • 6 years ago

    jmknight thank you so much. What color cabinets do you have?

  • 6 years ago

    We installed Moorland Fog last month and we are happy with it. It’s a bit chameleon and brought everything together. We have dark cabinets and a White Island with a butcher block. I also love that there is the odd flake of sparkle in it which is nice when the sun hits it just right.

    Shawn Grauer thanked kahope
  • 6 years ago

    Shawn, we have white cabinets, but we are having them redone next month with new doors and drawers in a shake style and we will be using an off white, “White Duck” by Sherwin Williams.

    Shawn Grauer thanked jmknight
  • 6 years ago

    We saw this "Astoria" granite when we were looking at slabs. It seems to blend with cabinets, as well as tie together the gray & blue decor in our house. Anyone have thoughts on this?




  • 6 years ago

    I would suggest you find a yard that has "Fantasy Brown" quartzite...I used it 3 years ago in a custom home build and love it more every day...we chose a leathered finish which is really cool. My daughter recently remodeled a kitchen and master bath and used it in the polished form. There is an incredible variation in these slabs so check out several different stone sellers if possible. Good Luck!!

    Shawn Grauer thanked equinekdc
  • 6 years ago

    equinekdc I have thought about getting fantasy brown quartzite, but fear etching, how have your counters held up, and what did you seal them with?




  • 6 years ago

    I have not sealed them and they look brand new...I was a little concerned about using leathered in the kitchen but have had absolutely no issues. My daughter's polished Fantasy brown is about 8 months old and looks like it was just put in. I just thought it might be an option for you with your beautiful cabinet color because there are soooo many different looking slabs...mine has a lot of blue and gray in it and is in a kitchen with creamy white cabinets...and it looks good with my medium-brown maple engineered hardwood flooring because there is also a little brown running through it. It really makes a statement and doesn't look like so many of the beige quartz you see all the time.

    Shawn Grauer thanked equinekdc
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Definitely far left- cleaner look and will not date. Could be used as backsplash as well or use simple tile in complementary tone for a timeless look. Busy countertops date quickly. Personality and pops of color can be put in with changeable paintings and objects.

  • 4 years ago

    What’s the best “grade” of quarts to chose for countertops?

  • 4 years ago

    Previous post I meant Quartz not quarts!