Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessica1464

Bermuda turning brown only certain areas

jessica1464
3 years ago

Central Texas area. What does the brown spots in my lawn mean, I’ve finally been learning how to deal with Bermuda, after having it full of weeds. I even mow my neighbors half which you can see in the pic and they don’t water or do anything and there’s is looking better than mine. I’m confused on why some areas are turning brown and some are dark green. Any help would be great. I’m still new to maintaining a nice lawn and have been working on it for 2 months now. Ours is the left side and neighbors is right. I had to start picking some of there weeds and cutting there’s short to help with mine.

Comments (6)

• jessica1464
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes we have dogs and there’s lots of stray cats that come around as well. Also neighbors dogs that get out etc. we are in Tolar Tx, small town. More of the west side of dfw I think. I need to put tuna cans out and measure because I haven’t really done that but I haven’t watered that much at all lately since we had some good rain a week ago.

• dchall_san_antonio
    3 years ago

Thanks for the location.

Could the larger areas be low spots that hold water longer than adjacent soil? Turf type grasses does not like to be waterlogged.

The small brown spots could be from dog pee. I had success dropping a handful of table sugar onto each spot and moistening. Don't wash away the sugar, just get it moist right on the spot. The problem is the microbes in the soil put their full resources into processing the urine, but there aren't enough microbes. By adding sugar, the microbes go into reproduction mode temporarily until there are enough to deal with the direct shot of urine. In 3 weeks you should have a deep green, fast growing, dense spot of grass. If you are not already using organic fertilizer at least once a year, I would strongly suggest you do that. Lawns which are solely fertilized with chemical ferts will eventually "hit the wall" and the fertilizer will appear to have no effect. One (or more) doses of organic fertilizer per year will completely prevent that problem. You can use the organic in addition to, or instead of, your normal monthly bermuda fertilizer. Good, and easy, organic fertilizers include soybean meal, corn gluten meal, cottonseed meal, alfalfa meal (or pellets), and corn meal. Call your local feed stores for price and availability. The application rate for these grains is 15-20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. I've used nothing but organic fertilizer since 2002 and will never use chemical ferts again.

• jessica1464
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much, it was nice and green and it seems to be turning brown like the picture and very thin. Not sure what the deal is. What can I do for the dog pee and random cats that come and pee? My back yard gets spots from them and it completely kills the grass for a little bit.

• jessica1464
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What would be causing this? I stopped watering and I’m getting areas where it looks like a bunch of dead grass that needs to be raked but that’s not the case.

• dchall_san_antonio
    3 years ago

For the animal urine spots you can reread my post from 11 days ago where I explained what to do.

For the rest the grass needs to be deep watered about once a week. Do the tuna can test and that will be your first watering. That should return the bermuda to green and happy looking. Then, if we continue with temps in the low 100s, deep water again in 5 days.