Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syoungs

Do you think it’s worth it? bathroom remodel or update

s y
3 years ago

We have been in this new to us house for three years and are planning a bathroom update. One big question is whether we should keep the same floor plan and change out the shower, vanity, flooring etc. or if we should look at moving some walls and changing the space more substantially. We are wanting to change out the fiberglass shower tub combo because it has a crack in it and it is already hazardous to get in and out of. Our bathroom is adjacent to our bedroom but not a true en suite because there is a small hallway connecting them.
Option 1 is adding a nice tiled walk in shower and putting in a vanity that fully utilizes the space but in the same spot. It is just my husband and I at this point so the fact that it doesn’t directly connect to the bedroom is OK with us.
Option 2 This would involve potentially borrowing room from the back hallway and reconfiguring things so that we could get a larger bedroom closet, possibly doing away with the little hallway in between the bedroom and bathroom.
We would love to hear input from anyone either about whether it’s worth the cost and hassle of a bigger remodel for what we would gain or ideas of how we could reconfigure the space differently.
Thank you for your help.
Ps my dog seemed to think was a photo shoot for her

Comments (30)

• s y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Additional photos

• PRO
    Marble Works Design Team Inc.
    3 years ago

Based on Katinparadise response depending on your budget you can make that main bath into an ensuite and an additional powder room if you go into your hallway but you would have to move the door to the deck etc. Will be a more costly renovation. Making a ensuite and powder room will cost more but will also increase the overall value of your house.

• s y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post and for asking questions. This is a walkout ranch with the main living and bedrooms on the same floor. There is another full bathroom that guests can easily use so they wouldn’t need to come through our bedroom if we made it an en suite but I’m not sure what to do with these walls and doorways to maximize the space. As for resale I can see where adding another powder room would always be a plus but I’m not so sure we would get our money’s worth or use out of it . Itwould be in an awkward spot right off the kitchen when there’s already one close by.

• s y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Marble works Design team Inc: we would have to get rid of the back door to the deck if we borrowed space from that hallway to extend the current bathroom. However there is another door about 15 feet down the same wall that is a better entry point anyway so I don’t think we’d miss that door and we are willing to give it up if it makes a big enough difference.

• PRO
    Marble Works Design Team Inc.
    3 years ago

SY, so you have 2 baths on the same floor as your kitchen and bedroom? If so then I would close off the bath closest to your bedroom to make the ensuite because that will increase your resale value and you would not need the additional powder room for your guests. If you plan to be in this house more then 5 years I think it is worth the money. But that is all personal decisions that have to be made. I hope I was helpful:)

• s y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Marble works design team Inc. that is helpful information thank you! Now if anyone has ideas on how to close off the space to make it the most usable that would be extremely helpful. All these doorways make it confusing to me, like a giant puzzle- I am not sure which door way to block off and where to add the entrance to our bathroom and bedroom to maximize the space. If anyone is good at visualizing that kind of thing I’d appreciate any thoughts-expert or not

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

You definitely don't need a powder room if you have a 2nd bath for guests on the same floor.

Do you have the accessibility to plumbing and the budget available to move it?

• s y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Katinparadise: We do have access to the plumbing through a finished ceiling in the basement which wouldn’t be too bad as far as cost.The bathroom is a good size it just has wasted space in the middle of it that I wish they would have allocated to the master bedroom instead when they designed the house. It’s not a large or luxury house we moved here to downside and have some property so I’m not expecting it to be the same as a super high end new build just wondering if it’s worth it to try to carve out more space in the master bedroom and do away with a door or two.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Looking at the floor plan, I hate to see you move your bedroom door either directly across from the end of the cabinets or into the living room. As it is now, you have a bit more privacy having it in the hallway. I'm thinking the best option may be to move the toilet down closer to the shower, expand the shower a bit, then put in a double vanity across from those. Then you could make the closet a 36" deep reach in, make it as long as possible, and put in a nice organizing system.

• s y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think you are right about the doorway to the bedroom,I don’t see another spot for it without negatively impacting the kitchen or living room. I am thankful there is enough room in the bathroom to borrow a bit for the closet. I appreciate your thoughts.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMo you have a huge bathroom that is totally under utilized and the smallest closet I have ever seen. Spend the money and get a much larger closet leave the bathroom accessible from the hall but use the whole space for a nice vanity and walkin shower if there is another bathroom with a tub somewhere. IMO making this an ensuite is going to create issues with access and not the biggest deal in that size of house. I think as for resale this would require a lot of work to make an ensuite and if that is worth it only you can decide IMO the kitchen eeds some work too so where do you want to spend your money?

• s y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Patricia. I agree with you that the bathroom is a whole lot of wasted space and the closet is way too small. I think we can reconfigure the bathroom with a walk-in shower double vanity and borrowing some space from the bathroom for a master closet it is doable budget wise. We purposely downsized to a smaller house. It is tricky if you don’t want to build most pre-existing smaller houses have small hallways & lots of small rooms -we were fortunate this does give us a more spacious feeling for the size.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

I really do think that's your best option. You could always add a doorway at the end of the hallway for privacy if you really feel the need, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Time to start playing with floorplans!

• marilyncb
    3 years ago

If you're willing to give up the back hallway, where the pantry and door to the deck is, you could do something like this:

This has the entrance to the "master suite" off of the kitchen, but still maintains some privacy because you're not walking directly into bedroom area or bathroom. The walk in closet is big enough to hang clothes on both sides. Your current door to deck is replaced with a new window for the bathroom. You could add shallow depth pantry cabinets in the kitchen to the left of the fridge where the hallway used to start.

• s y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love your idea- thanks you! Plus you added a window. Much better use of space

• marilyncb
    3 years ago

Glad you like it. Big project, but I think it would be worth it to gain the closet space and improve the bathroom layout. Makes sense to add the window when closing in the door to the deck.

• s y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

marilyncb I also how in your plan we gain wall space in the master bedroom where we could place a dresser in the closet openings previous space. That would make the bedroom feel more spacious too.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

If you lose your back door, do you have another door to your deck?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO 2 exit doors are code and how will you get to the deck from the kitchen

• ljptwt7
    3 years ago

marilyncb just designed how this house should have been designed in the first place! You just need to find out the cost and determine if you want to spend it.

• s y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Patricia, I should have posted the rest of my floor plan- sorry. There is slider to the deck further down the same wall. There is also a door to the front of the house in the living room.

• s y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ljptwt7: It is curious why some decisions were designed the way they were originally. We added the slider and enlarged the deck. We wonder if maybe someone in a wheelchair lived here as the doorways and hallways are wide for the size and age of the house. Also both bathrooms have a lot of empty space in the middle and narrow vanities with angled fronts.

• s y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That’s not to say it was done to ADA standards just some odd spacing.

• Amri
    3 years ago

I think that re-tiling, a new shower, and a new, bigger vanity would go a long way! I guess it depends on your goals and budget ultimately, but I think it's a nice, spacious layout and could get a facelift really quickly and easily without doing a full on remodel!

• s y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Amri thanks for your comment- the contractor has us slated for February so it is time to get serious!

• felizlady
    3 years ago

Your bathroom has a lot of useless/unnecessary open space. I would reduce it by moving the toilet down toward the shower/tub replacement, and add a second sink/vanity in the bathroom and enlarging your master closet. You need to move plumbing, of course, and change some walls. You need a professional to tell you what can be done easily and what will take more work. A talented contractor may be able to help with the plan, or you may need an architect because you are moving walls. In the end, I think it’s always best to use a pro for the planning unless you are an experienced remodeled.

• homechef59
    3 years ago

Gaining a master suite entry hall and expanding the closet will make this a much more luxurious suite. I think that it's worth the trouble.

You will want to remember that moving plumbing is the most expensive element. If you can keep the plumbing in the same place, you will save some money. But, I don't see any options that don't involve moving the toilet. That means that you can move the other plumbing supplies and drains while you are at it for not much more cost. It's probably worth it.

Here is an alternative idea you should consider. Flip the shower/tub and vanity in the new plan. If you run the vanity lengthwise along the kitchen wall, you will have room for a double vanity. Is this something that you would like.

Do you want a tub? Would you rather have a large shower? If there is a tub in the other bathroom, this is an option to consider.

• User
    3 years ago

Your dog is a nice model.

• s y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Felizlady I agree lots of unnecessary space in the center of the bathroom when it could really be used in my closet instead! I think the toilet will need to be moved because it seems to limit too many possibilities.
    Homechef59- we don’t plan to have a tub, there is another on this floor already. We want a nice walk in tile shower with an adjustable shower head/hand spray. Also we can live without two sinks as we rarely get ready in the bathroom together-Probably because during 30 years of marriage we’ve never had a double vanity may be too old to change that habit now lol.
    Our main puzzler is if there is a way to reconfigure so that it is an en-suite and/or improve the bedroom closet.
    Budget is roughly 25k and it is a modest home but one that we enjoy(along with the dog :)
    Open to ideas. Thank you.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus