Software
Houzz Logo Print
soosun2

basic master bedroom need pizazz!

6 years ago

I have a traditional
Master bedroom with dark furnishings.
The only natural light is from the French Door and the room faces due West.
The size is 12 x 16.
I have time but not a lot of $$$.
The bed skirt is a geometric print in white, grey, and Apple green. The room was just painted
S-W Natural Choice at 66% strength, and the trim is Benjamin Moore Cloud White.
The room has wall to wall beige cut pile carpet.
I think I want to do a stencil on wall where the bed is now. Was considering a contemporary design in a blend of copper, silver, and gold!
Opinions?

Comments (49)

  • 6 years ago

    I really like the direction youre headed; classic. Would you consider replacing your bench with an upholstered beige one? Are you considering doing a stencil on the entire wall? If so, Ive attached a great one that you can order on amazon. Lastly, Ive attached inspiration photos that remind me of your room. Tres bein!

  • 6 years ago

    Hi Shoemaker!
    Thanks for your speedy reply!
    Keeping the table at the foot of the bed as I use it for luggage unpacking when we travel, but I am wondering if it should be a bit lower? It is 30” now, table height.
    Am not in love with any French or ornate design.

  • 6 years ago

    PS: you attention to detail with many pics and ordering info is amazing. Quite helpful too. I am sir I will check out Etsy stencils! Did not realize Etsy does stencils! Thanks!

  • 6 years ago

    Just looked at Etsy stencils....my head is spinning!
    How do you figure scale and color.....?

  • 6 years ago

    You seem open to suggestions, so I’d go in a slightly different direction. I’d take down the mirror over the bed and paint just the wall behind it in a light sage green or the green that compliments your bedding. I’d look for artwork to hang over the bed, and keep everything else as is. You’ve got a beautiful, traditional foundation, especially the furniture, bedding and lamps. It just looks like you have to finish it off with a few more tweaks. What else is in the room?

  • 6 years ago

    Interestingly, while you don't like French design, the lines of your headboard are quite French, IMO. It is curvy and feminine, but the tailored bedskirt is at odds with it, as is the geometric print of all the bedding. I would get rid of the bench at the end and use a simple folding luggage rack you can store in the closet when not in use. Your squatty, chunky lamps are out of sinc with the curvy bed and the skinny night tables. Slim profile, leggy tables require slender lamp bases. Is that a complete bed or simply a headboard attached to a metal bed frame? If it has rails and legs that go with the headboard, I would consider eliminating the bedskirt idea altogether. Houzz seems to be having issues right now or I would post pix of some ideas. Be back later.

    Susan Davis thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 6 years ago

    Hi Susan 😊Are you able to post other pics so we can see the whole room. Sometimes this makes it easier when making suggestions.

  • 6 years ago

    I would incorporate some deeper greens into the room. Replace the gray pillow with an emerald green one, and replace the mirror with a large landscape in deep colors. Green lamp bases would also look great. I think the gray items look too dull with the other beige and green colors. The bench is too high for the bed, but I love your headboard.

    Susan Davis thanked calidesign
  • 6 years ago

    The bed skirt seems to be the same pattern as the duvet/quilt but a different color. The walls are beige, the carpet appears gray. The lamps have a greenish tone. Rather than bringing in another pattern with a stencil, I would look for a
    landscape painting larger than the mirror for above the headboard. You may be able to find an upholstered cushion for the bench in one of the colors.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Houzzers! Here are pics of room.

  • 6 years ago

    I have been considering getting a wood platform for the king mattress. The headboard is attached to the wall.
    I have a French Impressionist garden print that needs to be framed.
    Changed out the bedding to white for summer but the comforter is in the same pattern as the dust ruffle. See picture of pattern fir bedding.

  • 6 years ago

    I mis spoke about not liking French Design. I just do not want over the top French design 😆 with lots of frou frou.
    I refinished the headboard and dresser 20 years ago and still love them. The chair belonged to my Husband’s grandfather so that is a keeper too. I also have a pair of NS with serpentine curved fronts, but they seem heavy in the room as the just fit!

  • 6 years ago

    Nightstands

  • 6 years ago

    Nightstands

  • 6 years ago

    Nightstands

  • 6 years ago

    This is the print I need to have framed for over the bed!

  • 6 years ago

    Final comment.
    Inspiration room......Was thinking of doing a faux finish on the night stands or dresser?

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for all you ideas and opinions. Great food for thought!

  • 6 years ago

    PS I see what you mean about the thin lamps!

  • 6 years ago

    As to the faux paint ..it is a favorite of mine ..but it comes across a little better on furniture pieces that have more detail and even a little worn and scratched finish...your pieces are perfect and sleek..pretty hard to make them look “shabby” ....chic..

  • 6 years ago

    Love the window treatments in your inspiration pic...first thought was something like that around your closet ...would add a softer less modern feel to the room

  • 6 years ago

    Maybe a little valance to match over the double doors?

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I'd take down the mirror that fights the shape of your beadboard, purchase another mirror and add them over the nightstands. Then I'd purchase a wall basket and add some greens or florals to it.


  • 6 years ago

    Btydrvn
    I like your assessment! I like first ask questions later.....very impulsive.....thanks for the honest thoughtful comments!
    Beverly
    The mirror is from Pier 1 and is ancient. But another pair of mirrors could work. Love the basket and greens idea! Adds freshness to the room. I love the idea and picture which builds on what I already have!
    Any input on changing out the nightstands from console tables to the pictured drawer night stands? Maybe new knobs?
    I was thinking English full puffy type window/Roman type shades?
    How big should the basket be? The headboard is about 78” at widest part.

  • 6 years ago

    PS: thanks again for all possibilities.

  • 6 years ago

    As to the bedside chests...try it and post a picture....we don’t know how wide...tall...tight it will be in that spot...they would
    certainly be handy ...if you like having things by the bed ...but hidden .. in my mind they are too formal and heavy..no breathing space ...and so far you seem to have a simple serene relaxed space...the table at the bench really does need to be shortened to bench height ..the height feels odd

  • 6 years ago

    Susan, I hope all is well there with you. Long ago you talked of visiting family. I don't visit mine right now.

  • 6 years ago

    I like Bev's suggestion of possibly mirrors over the nightstands. What about these ...they are similar to what you have..not sure about size though.



  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Now that I see your bedding fabric, I'll retract my comment about it. I thought it was more of a square pattern from the pic, but I see in the close up that it works very well with the bed. I also thought the bedside tables were leggy, but it appears that you have bedside chests, so a bit of chunkiness on the lamp bases will be a good choice. However, I would keep them on the feminine side as far as material goes. Fred has a couple of charts that should help you, and there's a link to lamps below.



    https://www.houzz.com/products/query/French-bedside-lamps/nqrwns

  • 6 years ago

    Maybe instead of painting the beautiful bedside chests, shorten the legs on the console table and paint it. You could also add a cushion or have the top upholstered.

  • 6 years ago

    I really like your bedding and can see how you would like to move into a French inspired direction. I also like the idea of making the bed wall a focal point... here are some wallpapers, I think they r peel and stick, that I think would take you in that direction... very large pattern to contrast with the smaller pattern of bedding

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Your decision about nightstands should first be function. Do they simply need to hold lamps or do you need the storage? Contrasting painted chests is always a nice touch provided the rest of the room reflects that 'English Country' style. Plopping in painted finish cabinets seems to dictate some floral accent pieces and maybe more painted items.

    As for the wall basket, these I cannot direct you to the exact right item. They are typically repurposed and found in resale and antique stores as the. available new wall baskets are typicall too long.









  • 6 years ago

    All good comments! Thanks!
    I will change out the night stands sometime today!
    Thanks for the pics with the painted chests and lamps!
    All good!

  • 6 years ago

    PS: Everdebz we have been home for now. No bookings for our vacay home. Nice to be fairly isolated ....... we bought 3-ply cotton face masks, so we are legit! Lol!
    My daughter works at an HEB STORE IN Kyle,TX. She is a manager and has/is working thru this whole COVID..... all my other children’s spouses work from home, and one son goes into Samsung office every day. So far so good! Thoughtful of you to inquire. We are doing well. I finally know two people who have COVID, and are at home recovering, so six degrees of separation is shrinking!

  • 6 years ago

    Hi Beverly
    The night stands provide storage; i really like the cream nightstand next to the deep wood stained headboard. I think I could paint/antique them to brighten up the room. Then mirrors behind the NS
    And the basket.......thinking the basket should be 2/3 width of bed after greenery is placed? Basket not needed to be super wide but greenery should be full?

  • 6 years ago

    I have this basket? 11” tall x 16” wide?

  • 6 years ago

    Or this? Out bouquet on it?
    Maybe some shopping in my future?

  • 6 years ago

    based on your inspiration pic, it feels like you would like a more sophisticated look and to me the basket moves it more casual. your bed and dresser and inspiration pic are much more sophisticated. feeling.

  • 6 years ago

    Excellent point. That is what I love about Houzz——Houzzers help you stay on course!

  • 6 years ago

    A basket like that can be spray painted for under the existing tables ....is handy to toss things into ...i have one under end tables for all sorts of things..extra throws...magazines...newspapers..tv guides..tho’ i am manic about no clutter on tabletops i am equally desirous of all my stuff handy and nearby

  • 6 years ago

    Haha! Sound functional and fabulous! But I want to switch out the night stands this afternoon and take pics. Just to see and get opinions! Seriously thinking about painting the nightstands I brighten the room?

  • 6 years ago

    The flat baskets are pretty under canisters or cookie jars..or as fruit baskets

  • 6 years ago

    I do have to confess to being a basket fiend...these are just some that i keep in the pantry to use for every thing

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I've used this foliage before because it's 'lacy' in appearance and if you're going to use something fake, I prefer it to be artistic in style.



  • 6 years ago

    Love love love it! Such passion.....lol!

  • 6 years ago

    Source for greenery/flowers?

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Beverly!
    Will check them out for sure
    Question?
    I have a large mirror above my dresser....see photos above. Would it be to repetitive to pit mirrors behind the night stands?
    Opinions!