Software
Houzz Logo Print
t839515

Feels like the room is missing something but I can't figure out what

13 years ago
This is my upstairs bonus room... It feels like the room is incomplete and would like to have a finished feel... any suggestions?

Comments (81)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like the changes you've made so far, especially the addition of the dark side table. The room does not call for crown molding, don't worry about that. I don't like the blanket folded on top of the chair, maybe next to the TV if you really want to leave it in the room, or on the console? You need to add some coffee table books to the white table, and maybe a low large candle. What is that I see behind the chair, a vase? Try moving it to the opposite corner. Here are some coffee table decor ideas. Best of luck!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Also, try a nice big lamp on the dark table. That vase is too small to stand alone. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/pierce-hammered-metal-bedside-lamp/?pkey=ctable-floor-lamps&
  • 13 years ago
    I would put a long 6-7 ft red lacquer chest on wall with table. Add zebra long pillows to chairs. Add a dark tray to coffee table fill with tall white orchids. A couple of big books too. On wall put a pop of color using a big art piece where black and white is. Or if you want to keep it black and white go New York sky line taller. Would add interest.
  • 13 years ago
    A tall full palm in corner would add texture.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I like the angle from which you took the picture...the dark stain on the railings against the white is very, very nice.

    I think I would continue using dark, dark brown and begin with a vivid picture on the facing wall.

    Then, I would go with much more fabric on the windows, in white heavy linen or canvas, and wide fabric tape on the edge. Add some colorful pillows on the sofa.
    Horse Racing Painting on Canvas · More Info

    Since When Pillow in Lime · More Info

    Chevron Twill Herringbone Ribbon by In the Clear · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    COLOR!!!! And you feel that you are supposed to be looking at that wall with the tv, but there is nothing to look at.
  • 13 years ago
    I would add one big mirror (the one you can put on the ground and tilt against the wall), plants, and lights.
  • 13 years ago
    Good idea about a lamp on the table between the chairs but maybe a bit bigger than the 28" one recommended. I'm thinking about 32-34".
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I also like the idea of a mirror to reflect all angles in the room and adjoining room. I would place a mirror centered where your wall art is now. Place the console centered below the mirror. Then re-position your wall art over the tv and cabinet playing up the high contrast black and white. The punch of color in chair cushions looked great in red. This kind of mirror, see attached, is wall art too.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like the additions of red you have in the room now. What about splashing some red onto those window treatments behind you? You could go get gross grain ribbon and some iron on stuff at the local fabric store, BUT, do the unexpected and put the stripe about an inch down from the top of the drapery HORIZONTALLY! That will bring your eye and and move the color around the room. A little goes a long way. Also, if you change your mind later, you can heat it up and peel it off!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    When it comes to using mirrors...I have a rule! Place your mirror where it reflects something beautiful. You don't want to reflect more of the mono tonal issue you already have.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like your curtains..are they ready made panels? If so, maybe you could buy 2 more and have them made into roman shades to fit inside your windows. Again, You could have a band of red color along the sides or at the bottom. I am attaching a photo.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for all the helpful advice! Keep them coming! I've decided to remove the painting on the wall since it's too small for that wall as I really want to make that wall the focal point and not the TV wall, so I removed it and moved it downstairs to tie in the kitchen nook to the kitchen... and ordered something big for the wall upstairs and an area rug and added some vases, baskets and a storage chest to the bonus room....

    Here's the kitchen... and yes I know... dark floor, dark cabinets, dark countertop??? yuck... this was a spec home and not a custom one... hard to work with, but at least I only plan on living here for a year..
  • 13 years ago
    Well, how fun that you found another place for it! Nice sized wall for the piece, too. Would love to see the pics when you get that upstairs room done, though!
  • 13 years ago
    Well here's the room sans painting and added in a temporary area rug... I originally had the rug there but it kept on bunching up and curling as it's a thin weave rug meant for berber/tile/hardwood... can anyone suggest what sort of rug I should get to sit on medium pile carpet? or do I need to get some sort of underlay?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    What does the rug look like in front of the tv, running length wise? Then the coffee table would be on it and just barely a chair leg.
  • 13 years ago
    You mean like this? This is how I originally had it, but like I said, the rug is way to thin so the furniture, walking on it causes it to bunch up, slip, curl etc etc
  • 13 years ago
    Get the white wooden blinds from ikea and a nice ROUND rug looks like ur going with a black and white theme try a large vase in the corner with twigs you could spray paint them silver n get a really wow affect ...
  • 13 years ago
    Also on the top left corner I see a space where it would look really nice if you put a big decor piece I'm thinking something antique within the colour scheme you have or maybe a large statue "wood " maybe to give a little organic feel to the room so you don't over do the theme
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I like it going this direction better as it almost looked like a runner before. BUT I also know just what you mean with the bunching. I do not think an underlay will help at all. You need maybe a nice big shag rug? Those are usually thicker and maybe THAT would not bunch for you.
  • PRO
  • 13 years ago
    Yeah I know I'll need to get a larger and ticker rug to prevent bunching, just thought there was another way since I like that grey rug... anyways, for the wall thats now blank, I really want it to be the focus wall, so I have some wall stickers on order and was thinking about placing them there.... like this:


    and maybe painting the wall a darker color
  • 13 years ago
    The stuff finally came in, placed it on the wall, and now just rearranging the furniture... switched the tv table ith the console table to take advantage of the height for the tv wall and the width for the feature wall... not sure which looks better... with the chairs apart or together and with or without the seating chairs
  • 13 years ago
    I like the second picture just above with the chairs apart and without the seating chairs. I liked the plant better on the other side of the TV table, where it used to be. I'd switch the silver bowl and red books so you take the book red to the other side of the room from the red pillows. Looks very nice!
  • 13 years ago
    Love the trees. Place chairs with a 4-5" between them. No table
  • 13 years ago
    You don't need anything on tree wall. Do you have carpet? Not a fan of area rugs over carpet. Never works right. If you feel you have too. Maybe a sisal rug. Big 8 x10 don't push under sofa. Over that at a angle not centered a cow hide in black and white. Very different and fun. Put a rubber carpet pad under sisal to keep from bunching up. Ad a pop of clor by using the poufs above , try bright yellow . Just one.
  • 13 years ago
    I don't see any ambient lighting in this room. I would consider putting some ambient lighting on the small black table in between the chairs and/ or on the end of the white console by the trees. Something in a simple somewhat Oriental rice paper shade style might work well with what you have.
  • 13 years ago
    You need lamps
  • 13 years ago
    Picture #2 gets my vote .. Chairs apart, no chairs on tree wall.
    Only other thing needed are some personal items, it appears no one ever goes in that room ... Almost there tho, very nice!!!
  • 13 years ago
    Done?
  • 13 years ago
    Very nice!!!!!
  • 13 years ago
    You need an area rug and a floor lamp.
  • 13 years ago
    tree mural warms it up some but still seems cold to me. Coffee table is what seems cold. How about a table top made of wood and should be a rectangle size to fit the sofa.
  • 13 years ago
    DONE!!!
    Rick thanked abbyjean
  • 13 years ago
    I would not put chairs in corner. Bring up to face tree wall by edge go area rug. A coffee tale in a zebra ottoman would warm it up. In corner where chairs were add big palm in a yellow pot for a pop of color. Chairs side by side no table. Maybe a black garden stool pier one carriers.
  • 13 years ago
    Looks great!
  • 13 years ago
    I would paint the back wall behind the couch - perhaps a blue or a green.
  • 13 years ago
    I think all you need is a lamp. Nice improvements. Good work.
  • 12 years ago
    Bam. Done.
  • 12 years ago
    I just chanced on this post. Love watching the evolution of this space. Must feel mighty fine.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    such a great space! you seem to have a black/white/gray look going. how about some black and white art work? or even paint the ceiling gray to give the room some depth
  • 12 years ago
    Love the trees. I do believe you ARE done. Can you actually watch TV there? Maybe one more thing: a swivel for the telly...
  • 12 years ago
    I liked the chairs facing the telly. I liked the room in the begining just adding the red pillows and the tree wall. Grey rug and the chairs together facing the old way. That's just me it was more inviting to sit and watch tv.
  • 12 years ago
    Looks Great Rick. Bam done said it all man.
  • 11 years ago

    I am with Design Ottawa : I don't like the chairs in front of the window so putting the TV on the back wall and have the chairs face the TV would make the room look better. Use one nice big peace of art where the TV now hangs. Get a nice ottoman instead of the coffee-table. With that you can use it as coffee-table or put your feet up when watching TV.

  • 9 years ago

    First of all, I love the print curtains and the white chairs and coffee table. I agree with another poster that you should place the TV on the dark console table and move it to the center of the back wall and then add bookshelves on each side. I too believe you should have the chairs facing the TV in its new location. The prints, which you originally had on the back wall, could go on the left wall (opposite the windows) and join other photos in forming a gallery display. I would suggest you move the white coffee table to a place in front of a window and add a lamp and some green, leafy plants to bring life, color, and air into the room.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Have you considered a larger greener plant in the back corner? Maybe an avocado tree? Good luck!

  • 9 years ago
    This post originally from 2013
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Need to add in an element to "anchor" the space. Could be vertical element in stone, horizontal element in wood/cabinetry, etc. The uniform color and tone of all of the finishes does not draw the eye to any single element, so the space tends to look monotonous. Contrasting element should be something that unifies the space to other spaces in your home.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County