Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anitabfranklin

front porch help

Anita Franklin
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We just purchased this home & hanging above the front door is this wrought iron candleholder. We plan to remove it but is there something to hang in its place or should I leave it empty? It's quite an expansive porch/high ceiling. I feel like they were trying to break up the empty space & add warmth but it doesn't work for me. I thought about adding more hangers for plants but it's right above the door & it feels like it would hang down into people's faces. Also, I feel like the porch needs an overall update where the sliders are. There's a courtyard in the front of the house that is walled and the pool is out front (odd I know) so there will be lots of in/out here. What can I do to give it a modern look?

Comments (12)

• Pete Global
    3 years ago

Is the entire house orange or just the porch ? Anyhow , I like the iron chandelier ...and would add two more ....definitely no hanging plants ...how about beautiful large planters ...defining the space ...as in one of each side of the entrance ....then you could hang the iron chandelier over the seating area ...where it would make more sense ....it's a lovely entrance ..its large and stately ..lovely !

• Pete Global
    3 years ago

P.s. I would get rid of the sofa ..just keep the one or both rocking chairs

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO the sconces could go and then hang a really nice light fixture there to actually light the porch

• Anita Franklin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree with you but I'd have to completely wire the ceiling and such if I went that route. I'm just looking to remove it and make the porch look better. Is there a suggestion to replace the sconces with something more coastal and less medieval?

• LilliCraig
    3 years ago

Can you neutralize the color of the door and window wall? It’s hiding. Possibly the white trim color so there is a big focal point as people come to the entry. Then paint a rug in front of the slider and set up a casual seating area. Two planters on each side of the entry would make it all seem as a welcoming space with a purpose.

• LilliCraig
    3 years ago

Ahh. And, yes the lights could be changed as well as the dark trim on the sidelights.

• Sebago Gal
    3 years ago

I would go with much large sconces - then spray paint the hanging to match -

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

I agree with Sebago Gal in that the sconces are too small. It shouldn’t be too hard to find something in black to complement the hanging light and your rockers. And can we see a close up of the black in the sidelights of the door?

• Anita Franklin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'd love to but I'm not actually living in it yet and it's out of state! These are the only pics I have. I actually don't like the black at all and would love to use some other color.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Ahhh, that information was critical. It’s not your actual home. Then anything if up for discussion!

• Anita Franklin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We close on it next week so we are looking for ideas on improving before we get there so we can budget.

• Maureen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I’d look for modern yet traditional lighting and use a shorter hanging light and larger sconses. To better define the front door, add large urns and you could also paint door and screen door black.

I‘d add an indoor/outdoor rug in the area in front of sliding door and to improve door usage, you could add a swing with cushions on the left side and your small two-seater facing and to create a cozy spot.

Your porch could be transformed and if interested in making some of these changes, look at inspiration pictures so you have a style/direction - before changing the lights.