emily_m73

Needing blue bedroom paint color advice!!!

Emily M

Hi everyone,

I have been driving myself crazy trying to decide what color to paint my bedroom. It's currently a beige-yellow, and a lot of the rest of the house is beige-yellow too. I'm in the process of changing all that yellow out.

in terms of colors, I'd love to find one that's modern but calming, one that balances out the light from the windows which face, roughly, east and south.

Thus I kept putting all these blue samples on the wall that looked nice on the paint chip, but once I got them on the all, I keep thinking, too light, or too baby blue! Even the gray ones (the three in the column on the left below) look like they're headed towards baby blue in my room. I'm so tempted to keep going darker.

Large color swatches on the wall include:

To the left of the curtain, by column:

SW Krypton. SW Rain

SW Jubilee. SW Languid Blue

SW Online. SW Dockside Blue

and SW Aleutian (below the frame)

So.... I put the three duvet comforter covers out; we rotate through them depending on the season, usually, so that you can see the colors we're working with for that element of the room.

I'd be curious what you suggest? Thanks in advance!

Beth H. :

The grays you've picked look like they're in the lavender/gray category. you want more of blue/gray.

here are some lighters blues that either have gray, or a touch of green to them.

here's the wedgewood gray someone mentioned. and some others. have you seen any of these?

Debonair or French Toile may be nice. of Meditative

Emily M thanked Beth H. :
  • Emily M

Thanks, Beth H, that's very helpful! I've collected 12x12 samples of windy blue and others that are similar (eg. on the same strip) as meditative and moody blue colors, but they are a little too far on the blue side rather than the gray side.

I've been leaning towards the Jubilee (see in the first photo), but may have to look at these others more, as well!

I need a pale blue paint color for my bedroom that leans toward a french blue.

There seems to be a key word generator that pulls key words from what you're reading, and finds related posts that show up in the sidebar. I've learned to check the date of anything I haven't seen before, especially if it has a lot of responses.

Need Paint Color Advice for Master Bedroom

So it sounds like you both agree that the biggest problem is the brass fireplace doors, and not the marble. I'm going to see what it might cost to replace the doors, rather than just painting them. I'm hoping they're a standard size (though nothing in my house seems to be standard sized!). Maybe if I can find some nice looking doors, that would greatly improve the overall look of the fireplace. Thanks for the inspiration.

Need advice on paint color for bedroom

Another option that you might love is to do a bit lighter of main paint color, but still in the pewter family, then glaze with the pewter. It will add depth and give you the beauty you are looking for.

Need help choosing a blue bedroom paint color

Hello Ann, Yes, the Bouyant is rather baby blueish. Yes, the Rapture is Quite Blue! Maybe too bright, unless that is the feeling you are searching for? You might take a look at two Ben Moore colors which we have used, actually several times, with great success for clients in various areas, but specifically in bedrooms. Ben Moore Tranquility - AC-490 - a wonderfully intense rich darker blue with hints of green and grey in certain lights. Complements wood tones. Ben Moore Palladian Blue - HC-144 - a great light blue that can turn different colors in different lights. Very saturated. Complements wood tones. Both are intense, blue and bright, but soft enough not to overpower the wood grain in your furniture. Best of luck and please let us know if we can be of additional assistance, Elizabeth Cabell, ASID, CID, NCIDQ Cabell Design Studio
    Beth H. :

well jubilee is blue/gray, but it's purple too. So you want a gray paint that leans blue? or more of a blue paint?

These also have a bit of lavender in them. That's why the grays you've picked look 'purple' once you get them in your room. since you have a cooler light that comes in through the windows, your cool colors will be more pronounced

see? your colors are on the purple end of the spectrum.

get a sample of Jubilee. I believe it's this one

and this one

Emily M thanked Beth H. :
  • Emily M

Hi Beth, Thanks! Yes, I think I'd prefer something gray leaning blue, rather than blue leaning gray, in that when I've put some of the suggested ones up to the wall (like Aleutian, Dockside, or Windy Blue), I end up feeling that they are too blue.

I do see how the left column ones in my original photo are leaning a bit purple, compared to the others that are leaning more blue.

Where you find the list of colors that you're showing in your most recent comment? Looks like an official document with the "older" font!

Beth H. :

if you google, "SW Jubilee paint " go to images, you'll see that color along w/a list of similar colors. SW puts up their color list in sections.

Emily M thanked Beth H. :
    Elizabeth Minish Design

Your dilemma has just illustrated how very little blue there needs to be in a colour for it to "read" blue. Too blue, in many cases. If you are looking for a grey that leans blue, check out BM Coventry Gray. I have used this successfully in a few master bedroom projects as it seems to have universal appeal.

As another pro tip, try these samples, isolated from each other and by a white background, down by your duvet options.

The darkest option for your duvet may be an issue because it has such a different personality and is so definitely blue, unlike the other atmospheric grayed blues in the other two.

• footsox1

You may not know this but you can ask your paint mixing person to make 20% or a color... Or 10% or whatever. we found a color we liked for our living room and it was just too “in your face.” We asked them to give us 20% of that color and it was perfect. I would always go lighter than you think and your comforters and accessories will look good next to the light color and not fight with a more intense color. Good luck!

• jackowskib

Have you considered doing the walls in a creamy color that's in the duvets? Then beef up the crown molding. Paint the ceiling instead in the lightest color you ended up liking. The bedding colors will stand out more and the eye drawn up to the ceiling soft color.

• afreshpairofeyes

I used Glass Bead from Sherwin Williams. It’s a pale blue gray... really pretty in bedroom and bath. Almost looks white in the can but comes alive on the walls!!

• afreshpairofeyes

Glass Bead sherwin Williams

• mumvilus

Hello Emily M,

Stop changing your sheets. In fact you can fold them up although you may need to cut them Into large pieces, frame them in large picture frames(36x42 or larger maybe) so that each one takes up most of the wall space between the curtain rod and head board. On all three walls,since you want them to remain as mainstays. Then purchase several bundles/ sets of bed sheets all the same color preferably the color your trying to find to color the walls today to replace the original duvets. So that you get what you want with the sheets remaining consistent, the blanket 'art' can be rotated inside this space or even through out your home as you see fit. The whole idea is starting with an empty room imagine it as an art gallery, decorate, and then place the bed and furniture in later. Oh! The smaller frames I see on the walls now can rest on the nightstand next to the small lamps. Thanks for being brave enough to invite me into your home like this to ask for help.

• salonva

I like that Glass Bead but it is much lighter.

I looked at the SW site for Jubilee, and on the same color strip it showed North Star which I think is a great color as well.

Here's Jubilee (LRV 45)

And here is NORTH STAR (LRV 62) below. Maybe it's not blue enough?

Editing to add, if you click on each of the photos you can see the detail and how it looks in the room settings.

• corriewisco

What about SW Krypton? It came up as a color similar to Jubilee.

• deebrown9952

I painted my small bedroom in 2 different lighter blues. It looked bland and the color changed dramatically depending upon the lighting, sometimes looking washed out. I finally went with Behr "Blueprint", which is definitely a darker mid-tone blue. I love it - the bedroom looks like a jewel box and it sets off artwork and linens beautifully. It did not make the room look smaller - quite the opposite in fact. Go bold!

Emily M thanked deebrown9952
  • rieckwtrclr

I agree with an earlier comment on your sheets (duvets). It seems impossible to pick a paint color when the three linens are so completely different. I think that is where you are having difficulty. If you want to keep changing the duvets I would forego the blue paint and pick a neutral off-white. If the blue paint is where you want to go, then choose one duvet and blend with that.

• Emilie Bova

Stonington Gray is a blue gray a designer suggested for our coastal home. We painted the entire interior with it because it is a neutral that works. Benjamin Moore, but can be matched by Sherwin Williams.

• Emilie Bova

Stonington Gray

• mumvilus

Yayyy! Reickwtrclr, I know this wasn't a writing exercise, but I get it: identify the problem, then follow up with an answer that reminds the reader of the issue without too much poetic longhand. I can imagine how unnecessarily confusing my answer might have been for some readers but later what relief Emily M, might have felt after you gave your pointed more problem specific answer. Thank you, I have some practicing to do and some furniture to move....

• annied75

I'm bucking the trend and suggesting you go dark -- BM Hale Navy. IMO, the dark color will look great with all your duvet changes throughout the year. I would also purchase a lumbar pillow that is the same hue as the lilac/purple in your middle duvet (the attached photo gives you an idea). I would use that pillow as an accent for the middle duvet and blue/white duvet.

• chloe00s

Agree with footsox1. Blues, in particular, intensify when painted on 4 walls - when in doubt, going lighter is safer!

• Mary Wiggenhorn

Be sure you paint big swatches on every wall before you choose, since the light is so different at different times of day. You might love something on one wall, but as the light moves it could change dramatically.

• A M

I would go with the top one closest to the window. You want a blue room! Don't be distracted by the greigers here! I do like the idea of doing one wall a different color, though. I have royal blue on one wall of my bedroom and the rest cream. My office is all blue, perhaps even lighter than the ones you have, and I love it! Have fun.

Emily M thanked A M
  • 2cavs

I used Behr “Pensive Sky” in our Master Bedroom and love it!

• A. K.

Try BM Mt Rainer Grey It’s a lovely soft blue with grey tones.

• barbdillon

I used Grey Cloud by Benjamin Moore. It is a light grey which looks bluish in most lights. Love it! It would compliment all of your covers without be too blue or too dark.

• decoenthusiaste

I have to agree, its the variation in the duvets that are at issue. It's great that you want to change things with the seasons, but you'd be better off to use all white linen, and make the seasonal changes with a throw across the bottom of the bed, some pillows and a change of art. Just have someone make pillow covers with the duvet material and the switch will be easy. Buy new throws as the seasons come, and after a year you'll have one for each season. Anchor your bed on a large rug, preferably adding some fiber/texture, and purchase new drapery to hang properly. After you paint, hang the art lower (centered 5' above the floor or hung 5" above furniture.)

• aniluap2

What people so often get wrong with paint, is they think the sample is too light and end up going a shade darker. Once all the walks are painted they actually reflect off each other and make the paint look darker. I always go a shade lighter than what I want the outcome to be and it works. Go with a paler option in the bedroom since it is more conducive to restfulness. Different bed coverings that blend with the paint you choose will also contribute to a more cohesive look.
    Also, no one can give you a paint color they use in their home since your unique lighting conditions will pull out different pigments than theirs. It may look perfect in their home but look completely different on your walls.

Benjamin Moore Silver Half Dollar is a modern soft blue/grey similar to the Stonington Grey posted above and can also be color matched to Sherwin Williams.

• emspenc

When we were renovating our home I dreamed of having our guest bedroom painted in a robin’s egg blue or a sea foam blue to create a spa like feel. I came home from work one day and the painter had carried the hall color into the guest bedroom and I was furious but was not going to pay the painter to repaint and rethought my options. The hall color/guest bedroom color was also a transitional color between my dining room and my living room. It is Benjamin Moore 983 Smokey Taupe. I did the drapes and bed linens in robin’s egg blue (does not show well in pics) and am thrilled with the result and so glad that the painter messed up. If I ever grow tired of the decor it is easily changed with the neutral walls. See I see below of the guest room and as the transition from living/dining.

• Beth Sanderson

One difficulty you are having is looking at the colours on a yellow based wall. Hang a large white sheet up, then look at the colours . You will be surprised at the difference that makes

• Emily M

Wow, thanks everyone! So many suggestions here. It'll take a while to digest, but you've given me the strength, so to speak, to keep on plugging along to try to find the right color, etc! Not sure how much changing out of bedding I am able to do right now, but I really appreciate all these suggestions!

• hollywaterfall

I like the Dockside blue. I think that is perfect as it will look a shade darker once on the walls and I think it matches your comforters well. Have you tried those online wall paint app things to help you choose? They are so much fun.

Emily M thanked hollywaterfall
  • Jennifer Hogan

Beth Sanderson hit the nail on the head!

You should never test colors against a color that is going away.

We don't see color in isolation - we compare it to everything around the color. This is just how our brains work.

Additionally you shouldn't look at so many samples at once - again, your mind will immediately compare one to another. Look at them one at a time on the wall covered with a white sheet and next to each of your bed sets.

BTW - there is nothing wrong with wanting and using multiple sets of bedding. I do it all the time and mine are much less similar than yours. My whole home is done with teals, violets grays, purples and reds. I have limited flexibility, but can go brighter, duller, warmer, cooler depending on my mood.

• roseasp

We, too, used Bear’s Pensive Sky in matte for our master bedroom...it is absolutely beautiful! In fact, we will be using again in the master of our new home. It is very relaxing, and changes throughout the day. Not too gray, not too blue, and not green....just soft and beautiful. Here is a picture from the Home Depot site....we are south East facing and it is a bit richer in color. It goes great with ivories, whites, and we have some chocolate brown and black furniture, that really makes it pop.

• Carol Williams

Go darker. I just painted my bedroom green, with a dark “statement wall” and lighter green (SW Easy Green on 2 walls and SW Filmy green on 1 wall) on the others.

Love it!

• bethperson

Be sure to think about what kind of natural light the room gets: if it's north light, avoid grayed blues. Laurel Bern's advice on choosing blue paints is very helpful, along with her elated posts on choosing paint colors: https://laurelberninteriors.com/2019/09/22/common-mistakes-when-choosing-the-best-pale-blue-paint/

• mumvilus

Carol Williams,

I couldn't imagine it until I remembered the portrait of former president Obama which was unveiled at the Smithsonian's national portrait gallery. Then It made sense. How I could have not imagined it before surprises me knowing how much I love having plants at home, and being outdoors against the natural backdrop of plants and things...i guess it's like trying to explain what being wet is like to a fish...or not being able to discern the forest from the trees. And if I may go one step further...its like trying to convince some of us that God is still here living among us...

• Emilie Bova

My head is spinning!

• Thrillseekers Creating VLOGS for Fashion

Try a soft green drink and relax beyond the blue is the duvet shades of green and pale oranges try next duvet I am going to buy blue sheets and like the ones in the shopping world it’s the only sensible trade secret for blue. But if you choose a tad add feature that black you won’t even care which shade of paint would work unless it’s wallpapered in the hallways too🦦

• Carolae

Consider Benjamin Moore Whispering Spring, a pale aqua

• mumvilus

Ha, ha, ha Emilie Bova,

Reminds me of a scene by the artist who created The Far Side comic strip series...it was a picture of a dog at the edge of a forest with the caption" so many trees so little time"

• Emilie Bova

Haha! Exactly!

• tdaech

Hi Emily! Our master is on the east side of our home and therefore, gets very little natural light after noon. When we painted, I wanted a blue and knew I’d need a color with a high LRV so that what little sunlight we have would be reflected around the room. I eventually settled on SW Rarified Air, trim is SW Extra White. It flows nicely with the SW Drift of Mist on the walls outside the room.
    Another color I adore is SW Misty. Good luck!

• Jayne M

Olympic -Ghost Ship It looked pale gray until i put it on the walls and now it reads just barley blue. i love it.

• salonva

I can imagine your head spinning and spinning, but wanted to mention another (yay because you need more!) color to consider. My daughter has SW LAZY GRAY in her living room. It is a true chameleon and at times seems blue, gray , green, but gorgeous. It was that color when they moved in and the previous owners left the extra paint. It's such a very interesting color and it might be close to what you are looking for.

The other thing I am thinking is that looking at your room I think that you could probably do well with a lighter color, like that pensive sky or rarified air.

If you want more depth though- have a look at Sw Lazy Gray.

• Emily M

Thanks, salonva! I was just looking at that paint chip the other day, and it looks very gray in my room, without the blues that I'm getting from some other similar grays.

And yes my head is spinning. I'm taking a few days off from thinking about it so that I can come back with fresh eyes after all of this advice!

• enfin

I think these are choices you have to make. I did exactly what you have done and then just watched the light change on the wall to eliminate choices one by one. I remember it took months but I'm still happy with the choice five or six years later. Don't give up and one day you'll just know which one it is...or you'll start over again. 'Best of luck.

Emily M thanked enfin
  • roseasp

I just painted our new master bedroom Behr’s Pensive Sky...as I sad above, we have it in our other home, too, and it’s beautiful. Here is what it looks like in our new place...please pardon the lack of bed frame, furniture, and old curtain rods....we just moved in, and are still waiting for some of our furnishings.

These were taken in the early morning. No lights on.

• enfin

Lovely for winter and summer light