Software
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (31)

  • 5 years ago

    That scares me... too heavy and could fall at any moment. Then there's the clutter.


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Everything looks the same, like a stormy sea in grey and white. Who’d have thought monochromatic could look so chaotic?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    No thanks!

  • 5 years ago

    For some folks with tiny NYC apartments, that's the way it goes. It's also my father's philosophy of home decor. Everything should be out in the open where you can see it. Maddening because it is so visually overwhelming you can't find anything. And he doesn't seem to be able to comprehend the "A place for everything and everything in its place" concept, either inside or outside the cabinets. And to think he was married to a librarian for 54 years! My mother was the opposite, she could describe in great detail exactly where everything was stored. My role model!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I assumed it was inside a large pantry, I was wrong:



    The rest of their apt is similar to the kitchen, in regards to utilizing storage space. They really are good at maximizing every inch of space (a talent I don’t possess).

    That said, I wouldn’t want to be the one to have to pack it all in the event of a move. 😄

    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/my-houzz-walls-of-art-and-glass-in-a-brooklyn-loft-stsetivw-vs~62060179


    The natural light in this apartment is phenomenal!

    Gizmo thanked Jilly
  • 5 years ago

    And you need to be at least 9 ft tall to reach that..nope

  • 5 years ago

    I was just going to say the same - At 5'2" I'd have trouble reaching much of it. I have a mental picture of dust falling as I type too. It looks like a charming and bright space, but at this age I know myself too well. I would not keep that up and organized on a daily basis

  • 5 years ago

    Other than the toaster oven -- and even that depends on how much they use it -- nothing else needs to be out in the open. They could have put in a closed pantry unit.

    I can't imagine having to keep all of that clean and dusted.

    And I say that as a person very much like pinkmountain's father, for whom "out of sight, out of mind" is a real thing.

  • 5 years ago

    The elfa and the Metro beneath it probably came from The Container Store. So, do you think this would be a good ad for TCS? Or not?

  • 5 years ago

    I’ll bet they go through two boxes a week of those Clif bars just to maintain the energy to scale that shelving.

  • 5 years ago

    I like utilitarian/industrial and I like open shelving, but that is a bit too too

  • 5 years ago

    The elfa and the Metro beneath it probably came from The Container Store. So, do you think this would be a good ad for TCS? Or not?

    In NYC, absolutely.

  • 5 years ago

    Born and raised in the land of earthquakes, I'm extremely nervous just looking at some of their storage solutions.


    Otherwise, they have a beautiful light-filled space . . . and a lot of shoes.

  • 5 years ago

    Organized yes. It still makes my eyes catch on fire.

  • 5 years ago

    First photo reminded me very much of my cousin's Tudor City apt. kitchen, which was teeny-tiny and enclosed.

    Stepping back, I don't see the point either - unless there is some restriction on installing cabinetry...?

  • 5 years ago

    That whole apartment looks like a consignment store.

  • 5 years ago

    blfenton, yes! The fireplace chimney isn’t connected to anything, I know they converted it to ventless gas but they may as well have one of those fake fireplaces you can order from Hammacher Schlemmer. They sleep basically in a closet, surrounded by their shoes and boxes of their stuff. And the rest of the kitchen is all ikea. The salad spinner is behind the pitchers, the canisters behind the empty cheese board with dome. I’d have knocked that dome off ages ago. It doesn’t look at all planned, heck, it looks like *I* did it.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Oco, I was just coming here to say, if there's a cat in the house, watch out! Mine never met a small object they didn't like to bat onto the floor. "Watch me walk through tiny breakable things!!!"

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Well, it could be so much worse...there's a lot on those racks, but it's curated; all solid white, black, copper, stainless, and glass...and I like that they have a sense of humor with bird pitcher, stainless squirrels?, ceramic squirrel? and animal cookie jar? In contrast, the rest of the place seen in that one other pic above looks soothing and simplified, edited.

  • 5 years ago

    One of my pet peeves about storage, from the pantry to the fridge is that I hate to have to move things to get to other things. I want to open a cupboard or the fridge and see everything and be able to grab it without moving anything. That kitchen doesn't bother me visually, but looking at nearly anything I'd want, I'd have to move something to get at it. No.

  • 5 years ago

    I like it in the context of the room and I do find it amusing that with all those cooking gadgets they have so many boxes of Clif bars.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    How does stuff not get dusty and alo grimy from cooking, unless the person who owns it never actually cooks there.


    Although I've seen this type of set-up on House Hunters International for small kitchens.

  • 5 years ago

    It's interesting to see that everything they own is on display. Even though everything's carefully organized, it still feels a bit overwhelming visually to me.

  • 5 years ago

    Visually, makes me anxious.

  • PRO
    5 years ago


    I liked my open shelving in the corner it was practical and a nice break . Did you ever see Julia Childs kitchen . IMO you do what works for you and yes that unit better be tethered to the wal

    .

  • PRO
    5 years ago


    I liked my open shelving in the corner it was practical and a nice break . Did you ever see Julia Childs kitchen . IMO you do what works for you and yes that unit better be tethered to the wal

    .

  • 5 years ago

    Dust! Flies! Easy access? To me, it’s a visual and dusting nightmare!

  • 5 years ago

    It takes a certain mindset to live in our spaces, and that one for sure.

    On a sidenote, I always find it interesting when these stories highlight one object that perhaps you wouldn't have otherwise noticed and relay the owners' story of where they got it. (“The chest was found abandoned on a sidewalk in the East Village about 15 years ago and has become a member of the family,”). And a lot of it is abandoned. I wonder if these writers walk in asking, "Was any of this stuff found on a random street corner?"

  • 5 years ago

    Feathers speaking as someone whose husband finally forbade her from getting street treasures when bedbugs hit our city -- that info was probably EAGERLY volunteered haha. "You like that plant stand? I found it by a dumpster outside a bar!" <-- words I have 100% uttered.

  • 5 years ago

    Haha, Robo! That's great.