Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_brown5519

Help identifying antique brass lights

STEPHANIE BROWN
3 years ago

Hi. I recently became the proud owner of a 1898 house. I have been told the lights are something special but have been able to find out any more. If anyone recognizes anything about any of these or knows where would be a good place to start my research I would appreciate the help. Thank you!

Antique lights · More Info

Comments (12)

• STEPHANIE BROWN
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are the other two

• Fori
    3 years ago

Special. Don't bust 'em. :) Are the first 2 shades opalescent?

The chain fixture is interesting--usually they are on dainty beaded chains (google bead chain lights for starter search term). This looks a bit older than that style.How big is it?

The wallpaper is also pretty great--hope it's in good enough shape to keep.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

I do think they are old, I dont think they are 1898 I do think they are 1905-1920. What do you light switches look like. The first one might be original, the second one looks too perfect on the metal work and the third one might have had the glass changed out in the 50's. all brass, all valuable.

• STEPHANIE BROWN
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks. The shade on the first is very thick and etched. It's not opalescent - it's a consistant thick opaque white. The switch looks like this. There are four light bulbs - if you push the button once one light bulb goes on, then push it again - the second, the push a third time and the remaining two light up. The wires on that one are OLD!

We have this same switch upstairs in two other rooms but the switches for the other two lamps are updated.

The second lamp - the one with the wallpaper in the background is kind of opalescent. It's a much thinner wavy glass and makes the bulb look sun/moon like. I tried to capture that in the picture but it's hard.

The wallpaper is lovely and in good shape. It's newer - I have a scrap and the label from a box a found in the basement. It's William Morris Fruit 8048/2

• Fori
    3 years ago

The previous owners must have loved that place. :) Authentic Wm Morris repro wallpaper means they were serious!

Rewiring might not be a terrible idea...but it would be a shame to lose those funky old switches.

Pictures of the bulb sockets might be informative if they are still original, but due to my history with lamps and irreplaceable shades, I won't ask for them.

• STEPHANIE BROWN
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That was actually 3 owners ago so I feel fortunate that the wallpaper survived! I took some pictures of the bulb sockets - there is definitely some writing on them but they need to be cleaned so I can see it. From what I can tell so far it says 25 ov. and then under that Nov 26 1907

• STEPHANIE BROWN
    Original Author
    3 years ago

also would love to clean the brass and shine it up a bit - is that acceptable on a 1907 fixture? What would I use?

• Fori
    3 years ago

Oh brass. I'm in the middle of an annoying polishing project...standard polishes like Brasso should work fine. To maintain the shine, you can use car wax--nice pure carnauba wax. It won't be super flashy but will keep the oxidation down.

(You can still get a lot of the Morris papers and fabrics. They aren't cheap but I have the feeling you might need them! :) Classic Arts & Crafts stuff. )

STEPHANIE BROWN thanked Fori
  • User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@STEPHANIE BROWN it's called custard glass, I have two fixtures with it. The lovely color when lit gives it a beautiful glow. I found both of mine on Etsy. There are a number of wonderful dealers of antique lighting on there if you ever need anymore. c

https://www.heraldnet.com/life/is-it-real-custard-glass-check-with-a-black-light/

STEPHANIE BROWN thanked User
  • STEPHANIE BROWN
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Found out the one with the pointy hanging down lights is a Paulding.

• Fori
    3 years ago

These were probably meant to be shiny brass. Not shiny 80s brass, but gold colored. I wouldn't do it unless I could take the entire fixture down, though. And make sure they're solid brass before attempting polishing.

Lots of polishes leave a tarnish resistant coating. And like I said, you can wax it. (If carnauba wax is too off-label, try "Renaissance" wax.) They won't look like new lacquered pieces.

They do look fine as they are, but that last one...I could see that shined up a bit!