Software
Houzz Logo Print
rajeev_bector

DIY closet redesign

5 years ago

Hi! I have an old closet in the bedroom. I'd like to think I can do a DIY "redo" of it. Its got the split doors (which I absolutely hate) and old shelving. Its also got one foot of drywall on the top and 0.5 ft each side that just encloses it so its hard to reach in above the top shelf (e.g.). I am imagining this dry wall can be cut out and new framing added so the whole thing is "open". Then I am thinking of installing some new shelving and covering half of the closet with a sliding door (this is the half where I'll have hanging clothes etc) and the other half used for books and other stuff. OK.. so where does one begin a project like this? Is it safe to cut out the drywall yourself? Does one have to think about whether this is a load bearing wall? Are there other things to keep in mind? Any pointers will be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (8)

  • 5 years ago






    Hi @millworkman - thanks for your message. Sorry about the lack of details there. Here are some photos of the current closet. I will upload a video as well. I dont quite have a sketch of a plan yet. My thought was that once I know that I can open it up completely - I would like to make it into a more modern closet with half of it as shelf-space and the other half for hanging clothes with some drawer at the bottom. Will want to remove the split door and install a sliding door that can cover the hanging clothes portion so the shelves are "showing" and can be used for display items if needed. But I am quite open to installing a full sliding or other options as well.


    The question is - how easy is it to rip the drywall around it open and is there a step by step process to do it. I am open to hiring some handyman help as needed.


    Thank you for your help.

  • 5 years ago

    Also. the closet is about 2 ft deep.

  • 5 years ago

    In the first image above, the area above the closet (blue paint) is actually all closet space but drywall covers it up. The original question was - can I cut it open so the area behind is easily accessible. Ditto on the sides.

  • 5 years ago

    You will dislike sliding doors also. If there is room to open a regular door, I would use two doors, both opening from the center. (No center framing.)

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks for your comment @S Carr. Curious why you think sliding doors are not good (honestly, there is not enough space for the flip open door on the left side).

  • 5 years ago


    A short video of the current closet

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I agree, you will dislike the sliding doors. You cannot get full access to your closet with them, because, one side is always closed. I have them, and I despise them. In another house, we pulled them all out and put up the type that opened out and met in the middle. So much better use of the closet and so much less frustration trying to get stuff out of there. Your closets look very nice right now, and doors look nice too. Why are you wanting to put a book shelf in one of them. Can you just buy book cases (or make some) and put them against a wall. Closet space is great to have.