Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovefarac1

OBF March Swap--All About The Green!

Melinda Hagen
3 years ago

March is a great month! Many eating already or starting those greens!! Love fresh greens of any kind!!

Lettuce, arugala, mustard greens, kale, baby green onions, cabbage! List goes on and on!! I never have too many green things! Love leafy fresh salads with lots of baby greens in them!

So we will be doing the following

Send 3 packs of green seeds

Spring or St. Patrick's day card

Enjoy this month! Talk about St. Patrick's traditions, spring pictures, anything you want to share!

Put some salad dressing recipes up, so can try new things on salads. Certain ways you fix certain green veggies. Just have fun!

There will be bingo and another game. Not sure on that one yet!

Signups until 7th. Partners on the 8th.

Comments (150)

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

Happy Spring OBFERS!!

I got mail.....Just brought in yesterdays mail.... Jeanne sent me a fun ALL ABOUT THE GREEN package.

Everything was wrapped in tissue paper and tied with shamrock ribbon.

Love the card....did you make Jeanne? A darling green pin....a happy green smiley face (with a shamrock on his hat), seeds included were parsley, sage and basil and then Russell Stover mint patties. I am having one with my coffee....YUM!

Thanks so much Jeanne!!

Annie

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nice pkg!

Bingo

St. Patrick

Salads

Have a great day!

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Good morning! Well, looks like this month is on it's way out!! All pkgs. have arrived but Jeanne's, I think!

Bingo

Shamrocks

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Just got back from a mini vacation and it was so nice. Our Son and his girlfriend met us with our two grandchildren and we all stayed in a glamping tent in Sevierville, Tn. I had stayed in a yurt but these tents were different and the kids loved it. Weather was so nice also.

4 more words for Bingo.

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

Shirley that sounds great. I need to ride down there. Love the drive. Have got alot of weeding done. Hate throwing out black eyed Susan, mints,and fever few. They are everywhere. I know the morning glories are next on the weeding list. I may pot up some plum tree and see if anyone needs them. They are everywhere also. .I guess there are worst troubles . I could have nothing growing.

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good morning!

Bingo

Cabbage

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

Hope all are safe. need to find my bingo list again. I am potting self seeders to day. I had 3 people answer my FB notice in Dayton gardeners to see if there is interest for the plants. Last year I did full plants and only 2 showed up. so just "weeded" out the other plants. I am going to spread marigold seeds and feed the bulbs also. Expecting rain and cooler temps on thurs.

• sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

3 more Bingo words needed for me. I think someone else will likely be the winner!

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thought would do quick trivia before month is up! First to get all correct is winner! And they aren't hard!!

1. Who is St. Patrick?

2.what does the shamrock symbolise?

3. What is St. Patrick's birth name?

4. What city dyes it's river green. On St. Patrick's day?

5. What was the color used for St. Patrick's day before was changed?

6. Kissing the Barney stone refers to you having what?

7. What is St. Patrick's nickname?

8. St. Patrick's waking stick turned into what?

9. What is nickname of Ireland?

10. What city held the first St. Patrick's day parade?

11. Why do people wear green on St. Patrick's day?

1. What animal doesn't exist in Ireland due to St. Patrick banning them?

13. St. Patrick is patron saint of what?

14. What city is famous St. Patrick cathedral in?

15. What is significant about March 17?

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

1. Who is St. Patrick?

He is one of the patron saints of Ireland.

2.what does the shamrock symbolise?

Patrick used the shamrock to explain the holy trinity with each leaf representing the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The three leaves of a shamrock are also said to stand for faith, hope and love. A fourth leaf is where we get the luck from

3. What is St. Patrick's birth name?

Maewyn Succat

4. What city dyes it's river green. On St. Patrick's day?

Chicago, Chicago River

5. What was the color used for St. Patrick's day before was changed?

dark blue

6. Kissing the Barney stone refers to you having what?

kissing the stone endows the kisser with the gift of the gab (great eloquence or skill at flattery).

7. What is St. Patrick's nickname?

Paddy

8. St. Patrick's waking stick turned into what?

a living tree

9. What is nickname of Ireland?

The Emerald Isle

10. What city held the first St. Patrick's day parade?

The first recorded parade honoring the Catholic feast day of St. Patrick in the New World was held in St. Augustine. Records show that a parade was held March 17, 1601, in the Spanish colony, which was under the direction of the colony's Irish vicar, Ricardo Artur. New York City held its first parade in 1762

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

11. Why do people wear green on St. Patrick's day?

Leprechauns are actually one reason you're supposed to wear green on St. Patrick's Day—or risk getting pinched! The tradition is tied to folklore that says wearing green makes you invisible to leprechauns, which like to pinch anyone they can see.

12. What animal doesn't exist in Ireland due to St. Patrick banning them?

Common English animals such as the weasel and the mole do not exist in Ireland, which also has no snakes

13. St. Patrick is patron saint of what?

Saint Patrick (5th century CE) is the patron saint of Ireland and one of the most successful Christian missionaries in history

14. What city is famous St. Patrick cathedral in?

New York City - Manhattan

15. What is significant about March 17?

0461 - Bishop Patrick, St. Patrick, died in Saul. Ireland celebrates this day in his honor.

1756 - St. Patrick's Day was celebrated in New York City for the first time. The event took place at the Crown and Thistle Tavern.

1766 - Britain repealed the Stamp Act that had caused resentment in the North American colonies.

1776 - British forces evacuated Boston to Nova Scotia during the Revolutionary War.

• smitties
    3 years ago

Just spent the afternoon planting up 72 different types of vegies and flower seeds for the greenhouse. I did 24 tomatoes yesterday and I am still not done. I have several varities that will be directly sown when the weather is ready. It is nice and warm and we get so tempted to do more but I know it would be a waste of my time. So good to be getting my hands dirty.

Shirley, that is a pretty area for sure. It is so nice to be able to go camping as it is a safer environment right now. We attempted to go down to Georgia last week. Our dachshund has hurt his back so we took him to the vet and got medicine and figured we could keep him calm while camping. We drove all the way down to Charlotte, SC only to find the trip too much for him so we came back the next day. Decided it wasn't worth the risk as he could be facing surgery if we don't get him feeling better. It was a good decision and he is now on complete doggie cage rest and is doing much better. He is going back to the vet next week and we are hoping we can continue just keeping him resting.

I hope everyone else is enjoying some spring time weather where you are. It is coming. Margo

• jdmom78
    3 years ago

hey ladies. apologies for being MIA this month. We reached home on sunday but had to return the RV and clean it, etc so still not 100% back to normal just yet after 9 days of RVing. But my allergies sure are back, i don't know if its the TX weather or if its my lovely cats but as soon as we hit home, i have headaches and I'm wheezing again.

Amy, Florida was amazing and i can't wait to go back. the campsites were so nice the people were so friendly. we got to visit an old friend from St. Louis who is down there now and they had a beautiful house and were very generous hosts. They were in Tampa. We were able to make to a public beach out in Destin for a little bit and it was windy, dark and gloomy but it was still the most beautiful thing i have ever seen. the sand down there is white, and feels like silk. its just simply amazing.

Margo, how is the greenhouse going? i haven't planted anything at all this season you guys, i am soooo far behind. i don't even know what to do this year. i didn't go out back to see if my disaster of a greenhouse is still standing... i did peek out the window and saw a ton of weeds and quickly looked the other way....

checked my bingo words and i'm soooooooo cloooooseeeeeeeee.

hope everyone else had a great march.

here's a pic of my little one in the sand. i know it looks kind of grey but its super super white, it was just a gloomy day... ooooh and i bought a sea urchin from the gift shop!

• amybabyboy3
    3 years ago

Urooji, I am so glad that you had a great time! I love it here also and the beaches are so nice! What a cute picture of your little girl! My husband and I used to take our boys camping and it was always an adventure!😀

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good morning!! Well, Jayeanne got them all!! Thanks for playing!! And adding extra for history!! Sending gift out soon!

Urooj, sounds like a wonderful trip! Glad you had a great time!

Margo, you have been busy!!

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Bingo for today's

Mustard greens

• jdmom78
    3 years ago

BINGO

• jdmom78
    3 years ago

yes we had a great trip and cant wait to get back to florida or even the beach around here, we are not too far from galveston.

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Urooj, I am so sorry! Recheck your words. You are still missing one.

St. Patrick and St. Patrick's day are separate words.

But you are still very close!!!

Bingo for today+

Fairies

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Only 5 more Bingo words to go, someone is going to win it.

Urooj glad you had a nice vacation. Your little girl is darling.

Margo good to hear your little dog is doing so much better. Maybe you can go on another vacation soon. We do love our pets and take care of them completely.

Bradford Pear Trees are so beautiful

• smitties
    3 years ago

Shirley, our last house had Bradford pears. They lined out front as well as the driveway to the house. I miss them.

urooj, have put several things in the greenhouse to germinate so we will see. If the nights go below 40, I’ll use a heater. I imagine the things that prefer heat will be sluggish but I can replant if they don’t work.

I get my second shot this weekend so we are making plans to head to South Carolina to see the grandkids in may. Haven’t seen them since last august. I need to catch up on hugs.

• jdmom78
    3 years ago

oh what a bummer. i guess those are the 2 i mixed up. lol.

love the pear trees. i love the blossoms.

wow since last may! my dad is actually visiting today for the first time since covid... so last feb. the kids are having a great time with grandpa. and the best part... grandpa number 2 is coming on saturday. fun times all around.

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That is great that your getting to see family after such along time!

Love the Bradford pear trees! They are all over the place here! So spring like!

Here's the bingo words already called so you can double check.

Kale

Green onions

Green beer

Irish

Arugula

Daylight savings

Pot of Gold

Herbs

Green

Leeks

Lettuce

Romaine lettuce

Match 17

Vinaigrette

Iceberg lettuce

Shamrocks

Balsamic

Olive oil

St. Patrick

Salads

Cabbage

Spinach

Mustard greens

Spring

Fairies

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Margo, Eddie and I got our second shot last Friday and so glad it is done. I heard to drink plenty of water before you go and it must have worked because no bad symptoms.

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good morning all! This swap is almost over! Went back and everyone has sent and received. Few more days of bingo!

Bingo

Leprechaun

• smitties
    3 years ago

Melinda, Thank you for posting the list of words. I had actually missed a couple.

Shirley, the nurse told me about the water. I had nothing but a sore arm with the first. Hoping the same this time too. Just got word that three of my kids are getting number 1 next week. That leaves just 3 of the 10 of the kids and their spouses Left to go.

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

anybody ever have Outback steak house Onion soup? It is so rich tasting with cheese.I dont make it often because of the fat and calories in a small bowl. I am making soft food so there is nothing getting stuck in the suctures. My husband had the third mouth surgery yesterday. One more. we are taking it slow because of heath issues he has. the first one we had to stop because he was throwing up. So I sit in the room now while the procedure is going on. yesterday almost stopped it. It has been very stressful. We both had our shots. No problems at all. never even gave it a second thought. 5 more words for bingo.

• sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

Only one more word left for me on Bingo.

Good to hear that others are getting their COVID vaccines. I've gotten both and competed the two weeks after. I admit, I'm still about as cautious as I was before.

As for symptoms I got chills about 26 hours after I got the second dose but they only lasted for about 20 minutes. I didn't get a sore arm with either dose. The scientists certainly did an amazing job on getting these vaccines developed.

• sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

Sharing this picture of my viburnum in front of my house. I looked at it today and it certainly is all about the green!

These blossoms will continue to open and will be big white snowballs soon.

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good afternoon! Those viburnum are going to be lovely!!!

Bingo for today

St. Patrick's Day

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No Bingo yet? Hope everyone has a great day!! First to say bingo wins!

Bingo-----

Basil

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

BINGO

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

yea jayeanne great way to start the day!

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Congratulations Jayeanne! Actually 4 of you had bingo even before today's word!

I will be sending your gifts out tomorrow!!

I thank you all so much for joining!! It has been fun and nice to catch up with everyone! As always, love the pictures and conversations!!

Hope everyone has a great spring and God bless you all!

• smitties
    3 years ago

Melinda, thank you for hosting this month. it was a lot of fun.

Susan, I hope your hubby is doing ok. I hate anything that has to do with dentists or teeth. I still need to have an implant that should have been done a year ago. COVID put a hold on that. I have an appointment the end of April.

Second shot done! Just tired with a little soreness. I still can’t get over the past year. What an experience.

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Good to hear everyone has had good luck with the Covid shots. I do have friends that are saying no way are they getting it. I figure at my age what the heck!

Jayeanne congratulations on BINGO.

Melinda thank you so much for our fun month in March. Without everyone taking these months

we would not have an OBF Group.

Melinda Hagen thanked brittneysgran
  • sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

Jayeanne, congratulations on Bingo ... and Melinda, thanks for being our hostess. It's always a fun month and we enjoy spending time with the group. Love the shared pictures and suggestions!

Melinda Hagen thanked sandlapper_rose
  • canyonwind
    3 years ago

Melinda, thanks for hosting "all about the green".....simple and fun!!

Congrats Jayeanne!!

Happy Monday!!

Annie

Melinda Hagen thanked canyonwind
  • pinkiris
    3 years ago

Melinda ... LOVED your GREEN this month! thank you ladies!

Melinda Hagen thanked pinkiris
  • brittneysgran
    3 years ago

March 29th is a very special day because a very special person is celebrating another Birthday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEANNE..

• jdmom78
    3 years ago

oh i missed my bingo word... again.

happy birthday Jeanne!!!

• sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

• ruthz
    3 years ago

Melinda, thank you for a fun month of GREEN stuff.

Congratulations Jayeanne on bingo.

Jeanne, hope you've had a good birthday.

• Melinda Hagen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Happy belated birthday, Jeanne! Thanks to all who made the month special!

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

Jeanne, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Enjoy!!

Annie

Melinda Hagen thanked canyonwind
  • amybabyboy3
    3 years ago

Happy Birthday Jeanne!!!!

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

Happy Birthday Jeanne may your next year be full of smiles

• ruthz
    3 years ago

I will be posting April's swap a little later tonight. I hope no one minds me posting a little early. Will give us a little extra time to put together.

Again, Thank you Melinda for a fun month.

• pinkiris
    3 years ago

Melinda ... THANK YOU ever so much for the wonderful prize package! I just LOVE the sweet note card with the praying mantis on ... the 'this'll BUG me if I forget it note pad - super super cute! love it! and the 'happiness must be grown in ones own garden' note cards - LOVE them! and WOW what a fantastic selection of GREEN seeds! Basil - bush spicy globe, Eggplant - Green Knight Hybrid, Mustard - Florida Broad Leaf and Spinach - Bloomsdale Long Standing ... LOVE all the GREENS! THANK YOU again Melinda for a FUN month and fantastic package.

Melinda Hagen thanked pinkiris