Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

Can someone help me identify these

Lyban zone 4
3 years ago

I do not have a green thumb but would like to be able to keep these alive and maybe even add one more something to make this arrangement look more finished.

first off are these two plants cactus or succulent. How do I water and how often?

what should I add as a third plant.

should it be near an east facing window.

any Help appreciated. Thanks

Comments (13)

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry I forgot photo

• jojoco
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Looks like a Jade plant on the right and maybe aloe on the left? (Longwood has aloe plants that look like that and get beautiful coral colored flowers.) I believe both are succulents. I just started a terrarium and I was told to give it a sunny location and water weekly or so.

Lyban zone 4 thanked jojoco
  • Emily (5b)
    3 years ago

The one on the left looks like a haworthia, and the right a crassula that I can never remember the name of (but not a jade, crassula ovata)

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

I think jojoco is correct about the jade plant. The one on the left could be a bromeliad type succulent. It’s hard to tell as some of the aloes look similar too.

I would water only when it is very dry. I let my terrarium go sometimes go 2 weeks or longer before I water. Make sure you have pebbles or something in the bottom for proper drainage and a good sunny window. Mine is in a south window.

• Oakley
    3 years ago

I agree with Emily, haworthia and a crassula of some type. Jade leaves are thicker and don't have a notch at the top of the leaf.

• jojoco
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I completely defer to those here who clear have a better plant knowledge than I have. I’m going to follow this thread for pointers on my terrarium. 😊

eta: here’s my jade plant:

And here’s the new terrarium my dd gave me for my bday from thesill.com:

Lyban zone 4 thanked jojoco
  • Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks jojo,, that terrarium looks good. That one in middle is it a hens and chick. Maybe I can add that as my third plant.

oakley and Emily I will have to look up haworthio , I never heard of that one.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I agree about the lefthand one looking like haworthia - the one on the right reminds me of kalanchoe.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    3 years ago

Possibly left is a dehydrated Haworthia attenuata var. radula.

Right a slightly leggy Crassula platyphylla. I usually see these with smooth leaves, but have seen them with more fuzz on the leaves like yours.

With stronger light the new growth should look more like this.

Lyban zone 4 thanked Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
  • Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is a close up from this mornin if it helps.

also I am not getting any advice for a third plant to add.

thanks

• Oakley
    3 years ago

Gardengal is kind of an expert. I'd take her advice. :)

• jojoco
    3 years ago

I'm all ears. The terrarium was a fun gift from my daughter that we did together. You can't tell from the picture, but the sand is only the very tip layer. It has small rocks and a loose soil that is supposed to be for cacti and such. The Jade plant is in its own pot and thriving, which proves your point. But it is all fun, and if the terrarium starts fading, the plants will each get a new home.